Africa Alfalfa Hay Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Africa Alfalfa Hay Market Analysis
The African alfalfa hay market is projected to register a CAGR of 9.7% during the forecast period.
- Alfalfa plays a significant role as a type of livestock forage for animal feed due to its high protein and digestible fiber content. Alfalfa hay enhances the growth and development of animals at a faster rate and improves milk productivity. Thus, dependence on alfalfa hay for animal feed may continue to drive the market over the forecast period.
- Alfalfa hay is mainly used for feeding dairy cows, cattle, horses, sheep, and goats. The increasing demand for dairy and animal products, shrinking land for grazing animals, growth in high-yielding cattle, and demand for cattle feed are driving the alfalfa hay market in the region.
- Sudan is the largest producer in Africa, followed by South Africa. Sudan has an advantage due to its geographical location, climate, and water resources from the Nile and has become a key player in the Middle-Eastern alfalfa market. Some of the firms, which are engaged in alfalfa production, have also initiated dairy farming locally in Sudan, with the aim of exporting value-added live calves and meat products, especially to countries such as the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia. Further, the price of alfalfa hay has been declining in the country, which may lead to a diminution in domestic consumption over the coming years.
- In recent years, South Africa emerged as a market leader as demand increased due to the worst drought in Africa. South Africa's alfalfa (Lucerne) has been exported globally because of its quality and grading. Over the long term, the growing cattle population and increasing demand for quality feed are anticipated to drive the market's growth.
Africa Alfalfa Hay Market Trends
Demand for Quality Feed
- The increasing cattle population and rising demand for milk production in dairy cattle are the key driving factors for the alfalfa hay market in the region. Livestock production is an important source of food, employment, and income for much of East Africa's rural population. With the growing concern for improving livestock productivity, the region's use of alfalfa hay in feed is steadily increasing.
- Livestock products remain the desired food for nutritional value and taste across the region. Dairy product manufacturers are focusing on catering to the increasing demand for alfalfa hay, primarily aided by changing consumer preferences due to growing income levels. The use of alfalfa hay is considered essential in animal feed, particularly for poultry feed, due to its crude protein content. Dependence on alfalfa hay for animal feed may continue to drive the alfalfa hay market globally over the forecast period.
- Owing to the benefits of alfalfa, including high nutritional content, a rich source of protein, and high energy, which help improve lactation, reproduction, maintenance, and growth of livestock, the alfalfa market is anticipated to grow significantly in the near future.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Alfalfa Hay Exports
- Jankempdorp, Hopetown, Jacobsdal, and Douglas are the major Lucerne hay-producing towns in the Northern Cape, owing to their favorable environmental conditions, such as adequate dry and warm conditions, better irrigation water, and high-quality soil. South Africa also exports Lucerne hay to several countries, such as United Arab Emirates, Dubai, Oman, China, and others.
- The shortage of Lucerne hay in the United Arab Emirates has stimulated the demand for alfalfa hay grown in the country to meet the inflating export demand. Also, the growth of the alfalfa hay market in China is an excellent export opportunity for South Africa, which is likely to stimulate the production as well as production prices for alfalfa hay over the coming years to meet the growing consumer demand from China.
- Further, the Sudanese Ministry of Investment has prepared a lot of new feasibility studies for increasing alfalfa production farms around the country. The increased foreign domestic investment (FDI) from Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries has fueled the projects under the ministry for increasing production. This is expected to increase export opportunities over the coming years further.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Africa Alfalfa Hay Industry Overview
The African alfalfa hay market is fragmented, with very few dominant players. Some of the companies that provide alfalfa hay to African countries are Al Dahra ACX Global Inc., Alfalfa Monegros SL, Border Valley, Bailey Farms, and Anderson Hay & Grain Inc. These companies are involved in various strategic activities such as partnerships, expanding their presence, and mergers and acquisitions to strengthen their presence in the market.
Africa Alfalfa Hay Market Leaders
Al Dahra ACX Global Inc
Alfalfa Monegros SL
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Africa Alfalfa Hay Market News
- January 2021: DAL invested USD 225 million in a joint venture with the Royal Group of Abu Dhabi to cultivate 170,000 acres of land in Abu Hamad. The project is located about 10 km from the Nile and utilizes 18km of canals to draw water from the river for irrigation. The crops cultivated on this land include pastures, alfalfa, wheat, grapefruits, and other crops.
- December 2020: The Alliance of Bioversity International (ABI) and International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) applied a geospatial analysis approach to map the potential areas for livestock fodder production in Ethiopia. The results indicated that the total area highly suitable for alfalfa under the current climate scenarios covered 472,153 square kilometers (43% of the total land in Ethiopia), whereas 397,133 square kilometers (36%) was moderately suitable, and 16,165 square kilometers was marginally suitable land.
Africa Alfalfa Hay Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.2.1 Meat/Dairy Animal Feed
5.2.2 Poultry Feed
5.2.3 Horse Feed
5.2.4 Other Applications
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Market Share Analysis
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Al Dahra ACX Global Inc.
6.3.2 Alfalfa Monegros SL
6.3.3 Border Valley
6.3.4 Bailey Farms
6.3.5 Anderson Hay & Grain Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Africa Alfalfa Hay Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Africa Alfalfa Hay Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Africa Alfalfa Hay Market?
The Africa Alfalfa Hay Market is growing at a CAGR of 9.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Africa Alfalfa Hay Market?
Al Dahra ACX Global Inc, Alfalfa Monegros SL, Border Valley, Bailey Farms, Anderson Inc., are the major companies operating in Africa Alfalfa Hay Market.
Africa Alfalfa Hay Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Africa Alfalfa Hay market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Africa Alfalfa Hay analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.