- According to the South African Department of Science and Technology, 86% of maize and 85% of soy in South Africa are genetically modified, and most of the country’s crops are sprayed with the weed killer, Roundup, which contains glyphosate.
- The agrochemical companies, including the top companies, are mostly focused on the production of pesticides. Also, companies in the region are concentrating on import of fertilizers from other countries, with little focus on production in the country.
- Various product innovations in the African agrochemicals market are taking place. For instance, Bayer introduced its fungicide, Luna Experience©, in Egypt, in 2015.
Considerable availability of arable land, along with cheap labor and demand for diversified agricultural use, is the major driver likely to push the African agrochemicals market. However, illegal pesticides trading, inefficient infrastructure, and unstable political conditions are the probable constraining factors.
The market has been segmented, by the product type, into fertilizers, pesticides, adjuvants, and plant-growth regulators. Based on the application type, the market has been segmented into crop-based and non-crop based. Geographically, the market covers Egypt, South Africa, and the rest of Africa. In 2015, the African agrochemical market was valued at about USD 2.1 billion, which accounts for 3.5% of the global market value. The African fertilizer demand is expected to register a CAGR of 3.60%, due to intensive agriculture practices. Among the synthetic fertilizers, the nitrogenous fertilizer market is the largest, followed by phosphate, and potassic fertilizers.
Major Companies in the Sector Include:
- Bayer CropScience
- Dow Agrosciences
- Yara International
Recent Industry Insights
- On 12th July, 2017, the Competition Commission of South Africa announced its conditional approval of the Dow Chemical Co. and DuPont Co.'s USD 130 billion merger.
- A merger between Agrium Inc. and PotashCorp, with a value of USD 30 billion, was agreed to in September 2016.
- The fertilizer industry has also hopped onto the big data wagon, with the likes of Yara, Agrium Inc., and the Mosaic Company developing various agricultural data platforms.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the African agrochemicals market, with region specific assessments and competition analysis including market share analysis.
- Market overview, identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the African agrochemicals market and also instrumental in changing the market scenario on a regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies and their market share, along with an analysis of their current strategic interests and financial information and strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
The Report Holds Importance for the Following Stakeholders:
- Producers and manufacturers
- Agricultural input companies
- Enterprises operating in the industry
- Traders and stakeholders operating in the sector
- Investors/research institutions interested in the market
- Regulatory framework
- Supply chain analysis
- Trade analysis
- Trend analysis
1.1 Market Definition
1.2 Key Findings of the Study
2. Research Scope and Methodology
2.1 Study Deliverables
2.2 Market Segmentation
2.3 Study Assumptions
2.4 Research Methodology
2.5 Research Phases
3. Market Overview
3.1 Market/Technology Trends
4. Industry Analysis
4.1 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.1.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.1.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.1.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.1.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.1.5 Degree of Competition
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Considerable Availability of Arable Land
5.1.2 Demand for Diversified Pesticides Use
5.1.3 Cheap Labor Availability
5.2.1 Illegal Pesticides Trading
5.2.2 Unstable Energy Supply and Poor Infrastructure
5.2.3 Unstable Political Conditions
6. Market Segmentation
6.1 By Product Sroup/segment
6.1.4 Plant Growth Regulators
6.2 By Application Type
6.2.1. Crop based
6.2.2. Non Crop based
6.3 By Geography
6.3.2. South Africa
7. Company Profiles
7.3 Nutrico SA
7.4 Bayer Cropscience
7.5 DOW AgroScience
7.7 Yara International
7.13 Makhteshim Agan Industries Ltd.
7.14 Nufarm Ltd.
7.15 Syngenta AG
7.16 Arysta Lifesciences
7.18 River Bioscience
7.19 Villa Crop protection
7.20 Adama SA
7.21 Oro Agri
7.22 Hygrotech Sustainable Solutions
8. Competitive Landscape
8.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
8.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
8.3 Market Share Analysis
9.1 Table of Figures