Agrochemicals Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Agrochemicals Market Analysis
The agrochemicals market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.9% during the forecast period.
- The rising population across the world, accompanied by rising affluence, is creating a shift in consumption patterns. There is a need to not just increase production to meet demand but also to ensure that the nutritional needs of an increasingly affluent population are met. For instance, according to IMF, in 2021, the estimated total population in India amounted to approximately 1.39 billion people. According to FAO, in 2021, 11.7% of the global population experienced severe food insecurity. Shrinking arable land and loss of crops due to pest attacks lead to wastage, posing a critical challenge to ensuring food and nutritional security. According to the US Department of Agriculture, from 2000 onwards, the total area of land in the United States farms has decreased annually. The total farmland area has decreased by almost 50 million acres, reaching a total of 895.3 million acres as of 2021. Such factors are raising the demand for agrochemicals which boosts agriculture output.
- Price premiums and innovative eco-friendly production methods are emerging steadily in the agrochemical market. There is an increasing need to balance the judicious use of the best chemicals and minimize the impact of that use. However, the harmful effects caused by agrochemicals on the land, environment, and human health are expected to hamper the growth of the market.
Agrochemicals Industry Segments
Agrochemicals are used to prevent the deterioration of crops from insects and pest infestation and disease. The agrochemicals market report offers the latest trends, growth factors, industry competitiveness, investment opportunities, and a detailed profile of the top players in the market. The agrochemicals market is segmented by product type (fertilizers, pesticides, adjuvants, and plant growth regulators), application (crop-based and non-crop-based), and geography (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, South America, and Africa). The report offers market size and forecasts for the market in terms of value (in USD million) for all the above segments.
|By Product Type|
|Plant Growth Regulators|
Agrochemicals Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Agrochemicals Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Population and Consequent Rise in Food Demand
- According to FAO, the world population is expected to reach 9 billion by 2050. The increasing population creates a huge demand for food products to feed the population, which is turning into a major challenge with the decreasing farmland. For instance, in 2021, approximately 17.23 million hectares of land in the United Kingdom was classified as the utilized agricultural area, which has decreased from 17.27 million hectares in 2020. The shrinking area under agriculture is expected to demand more produce from the available land.
- Agrochemicals are highly important in obtaining high yields as these are necessary to prevent pests and diseases in the field. As per a report by FAO, nearly 40% of the world’s agricultural crops are lost to pests and diseases each year. To tackle these problems and to increase production, the use of crop protection chemicals is anticipated to increase. According to FAO, in 2020, herbicide consumption worldwide nearly reached 1.4 million metric tons, whereas consumption of fungicides and bactericides stood at around 606 and 471 thousand metric tons, respectively.
- Agrochemicals also play a vital role in crop growth, showing improved performance and noticeable results. Supplying adequate plant nutrients is essential for healthy growth as well as the production capacity of plants. The nutrient demand varies with crops and soil. These nutrient demands can be effectively fulfilled through the use of chemicals. For instance, urea provides 46% nitrogen to the soil, whereas organic fertilizers like neem cake could provide only 2-5% of nitrogen, which is an essential element for plant growth and development. Thus, the growing population is the major factor for the need to increase the use of agrochemicals across the world.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Dominates the Market
- China accounts for the largest share among other countries in the agrochemicals market globally. Chinese consumption of organic N, P, and K fertilizers is reducing due to decreasing cropland area. For instance, according to the China Green Food Development Center, in 2021, approximately 9.84 million hectares of farmland had been certified as organic farmland in China, which has decreased from 13.9 million hectares in 2019. The cropland area under fruits and vegetables is increasing, while the area under cereals is decreasing.
- Similarly, the large production of cereal crops, like rice and wheat, in India is the major factor supporting the growth of the market. The use of pesticides is rising steadily in India. Revenues of a few leading pesticides and agrochemical companies as of June 2022 are a clear indication of the growth of the agrochemical market in the country as well as the region.
- UPL was the leading pesticides and agrochemical company in India based on net sales worth over INR 164 billion (USD 1.98 billion) as of June 2022. The company was followed by BASF India, which ranked in second place with net sales of roughly INR 130 billion (USD 1.57 billion). Data reveals that only eight states account for more than 70.0% of the total pesticide consumption in India. With a growing emphasis on the environment and sustainability, various governments in the region are enforcing clean production and environment-friendly agriculture policies, which may lead to a decline in synthetic pesticide usage in the country. However, the government has encouraged the use of microbial pesticides, which is expected to grow rapidly in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Agrochemicals Market Competitor Analysis
The global agrochemicals market is fragmented, with major players including Bayer CropScience, Adama Agricultural Solutions, Yara International ASA, BASF SE, Corteva Agriscience, and Nufarm. New product launches, mergers and acquisitions, and partnerships are the major strategies adopted by these leading companies in the market. Market players are focusing on making investments in innovation, collaborations, and expansions to increase their market share.
Agrochemicals Market Top Players
Yara International ASA
Bayer Crop Science
Adama Agricultural Solutions
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Agrochemicals Market Recent Developments
- November 2022: Corteva Agriscience launched the new postemergence corn herbicide. Kyro herbicide is the first product on the market to combine the active ingredients acetochlor, topramezone, and clopyralid into one premix. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has approved the registration of Kyro herbicide, and the new solution will be available for US corn farmers for the 2023 growing season, pending individual state registrations.
- November 2022: ADAMA announced the registration of its innovative herbicide Araddo® (Clethodim + Fluroxypyr-meptyl) for sale in Paraguay. The company plans to expand into additional markets across Latin America.
- February 2022: Adama launched an advanced cross-spectrum spring foliar herbicide for cereals, Timeline® FX. The product is engineered with three active ingredients with complementary modes of action together with a built-in adjuvant to ensure flexibility for growers by giving the widest application window of any herbicide for controlling broadleaf and grass weeds for cereal crops.
- January 2022: Yara and Lantmännen signed a commercial agreement to bring fossil-free fertilizers to the market. The collaboration resulted in a commercial contract for green fertilizers, which will be produced by Yara and marketed by Lantmännen in Sweden starting in 2023.
Agrochemicals Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Type
5.1.4 Plant Growth Regulators
5.2 By Application
126.96.36.199 Grains and Cereals
188.8.131.52 Pulses and Oilseeds
184.108.40.206 Fruits and Vegetables
220.127.116.11 Turf and Ornamental Grass
18.104.22.168 Other Non-crop-based
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Bayer CropScience AG
6.3.2 BASF SE
6.3.3 Corteva Agriscience AG
6.3.4 Archer-Daniels-Midland (ADM)
6.3.5 FMC Corporation
6.3.6 Adama Agricultural Solutions
6.3.7 Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan
6.3.8 Nufarm Ltd
6.3.9 Nutrien Ltd
6.3.10 Yara International ASA
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Agrochemicals Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Agrochemicals Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Agrochemicals Market?
The Agrochemicals Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.9% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Agrochemicals Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Agrochemicals Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Agrochemicals Market?
BASF SE, Corteva Agriscience , Yara International ASA, Bayer Crop Science, Adama Agricultural Solutions are the major companies operating in Agrochemicals Market.
Agrochemicals Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Agrochemicals sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Agrochemicals research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Agrochemicals report PDF.