Tunnel Automation Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Tunnel Automation Market Analysis
The Tunnel Automation Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 8.7% during the forecast period (2022 - 2027). Strict government regulations, increased occurrences of traffic accidents leading to a strong need for enhanced security, and expanding integration of cloud and IoT into tunnel automation technologies are all driving tunnel automation adoption.
- The introduction of automated technology in tunnels has been prompted by an increase in the incidence of vehicle tunnel accidents. Over the years, the average annual occurrence of tunnel fire accidents has grown, with the bulk of incidents happening in the summer and winter seasons and the least in the autumn.
- Tunnel automation systems are being connected with sophisticated technologies, including the internet of things (IoT), cloud computing, and data analytics, giving consumers a significant advantage over human management.
- With the use of these technologies, data may be shared and transported between communication systems and other devices like thermostats, sensors, and lighting systems. The data collected from these units are analyzed and used to manage the automation systems in the tunnels to improve their efficiency.
- However, the installation of tunnel automation systems involves high upfront costs. Additionally, the costs associated with the maintenance of these systems can increase the overall cost pressure, thereby restricting market growth.
- The building and automotive sectors came to a halt as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. While reduced construction operations pushed tunnel projects back, fewer accidents occurred as a result of lower automobile sales and light traffic. As a result, the tunnel automation industry suffered a setback, exacerbated by a shortage of associated systems and the relocation of a substantial portion of the personnel to their hometowns.
Tunnel Automation Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Tunnel Automation Market according to our research experts:
Highways and Roadways to Hold a Significant Share
- Tunnels in highways and roadways are required to be built within a stipulated amount of time due to government pressure to complete construction within set goals and need to meet strict safety standards in terms of power, water, and airflow supply. Modern road safety management is also focused on safety in tunnels. Furthermore, the safety measures of tunnels built on roadways or highways need the integration of fire protection, ventilation, traffic guidance, communications, and lighting.
- Owing to the heightened demand for safety measures in tunnels to avoid accidents in the long run, governments and construction bodies are integrating tunnel automation systems. The demand for automation systems is further driven by the increasing necessity of the supervision and monitoring of traffic safety.
- Over the forecast period, the sensors used in tunnel automation systems are anticipated to be integrated with IoT systems to facilitate smooth monitoring and controlling of lighting, ventilation, power supply, fire detection, and pumps in the tunnel that are built on roadways and highways. Technological advancements in the studied market are expected to help road workers immensely, reducing workload and optimizing the safety measures in the tunnels built in roadways.
- Across geographies, the market is witnessing demand for tunnel automated components owing to the increase in tunnel constructions. Especially in emerging economies that are highly focused on advancing their road infrastructural portfolio can be identified to invest heavily in tunnel construction.
- In developed economies, investments are flowing into tunnel construction projects to expand existing projects and facilitate better communication of roadways and connections between highways. The Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel Expansion Project makes for a good example in the United States. The project slated at USD 3.8 billion is anticipated to be completed by November 2025. The project is aimed at widening the current four-lane segments along nearly ten miles of the I-64 corridor in Norfolk and Hampton, with new twin tunnels across the harbor.
Europe Market to Grow Significantly
- The rise in tunnel construction in many European countries, such as the United Kingdom, Germany, and Italy, among others, can be ascribed to the market's growth in this region. Several significant tunnel projects are either in the development stage or in the pipeline.
- For instance, in November 2021, construction work started on the German side of an underwater tunnel connecting Germany and Denmark. The EUR 7 billion projects under the Baltic Sea are set to be completed by 2029. It is expected to be one of the world's longest road and rail tunnels.
- Further, in April 2022, Webuild and its Swiss subsidiary CSC Costruzioni successfully completed the test run of a robot called AXEL (Autonomous Exploration Electrified Vehicle), a prototype based on avantgarde technology to improve the safety of workers involved in the excavation of the Turin-Lyon base tunnel. The innovative, remote-controlled robot is able to inspect the atmospheric conditions of a tunnel where potential risks are unknown. It also marks the first example in Italy of the use of robotics to explore a tunnel at the site of a planned railway.
- Roadway tunnels are among the most accident-prone zones when it comes to road transport, especially highways, as the vehicles travel at high speed. It is crucial to maintain sufficient lighting conditions inside the tunnel to ensure a smooth flow of traffic as vehicle drivers can identify obstacles and navigate through the tunnel without reducing speed. As such, there is a significant demand for tunnel lighting systems in the region.
- For instance, Signify is working with installer Bravida to illuminate a 21-km expressway bypass designed to relieve traffic congestion in Stockholm. Of the road's' total distance, more than 18 kilometers will be in a tunnel, which will be illuminated by the specially designed tunnel luminaires provided by the company.
Tunnel Automation Industry Overview
The Tunnel Automation Market is moderately competitive and consists of some influential players. These players are concentrating on expanding their customer base across foreign countries. They are also leveraging strategic collaborative actions to improve their market percentage and enhance their profitability.
- October 2021 - Signify announced the installation of LED lighting in the Ahmed Hamdy 2 Tunnel. The company installed all lighting units and control devices, along with a full range of supply, monitoring, operation, programming, and start-up services in both directions of the 4,250-meter-long tunnel, which runs underneath the Suez Canal.
- July 2021 - Siemens Intelligent Traffic Systems (ITS) launched its new brand Yunex Traffic and started operating as a new company of Siemens Mobility. The company will continue to provide solutions in the field of adaptive traffic control and management, highway, and tunnel automation as well as smart solutions for V2X and road user charging (tolling).
Tunnel Automation Market Leaders
Johnson Controls Inc.
Signify Holding BV
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Tunnel Automation Market News
- June 2022 - Epiroc expanded its digital solutions portfolio within the construction industry with the launch of Mobilaris Tunneling Intelligence. The new tunneling portfolio increases safety levels while improving productivity.
- June 2022 - Femern A/S and Sice-Cobra signed a contract to equip the Fehmarnbelt tunnel with electromechanical installations. The contract, which is valued at DKK 4 billion (EUR 535 million), covers ventilation, lighting, and safety systems for the 18 km tunnel between Denmark and Germany.
Tunnel Automation Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Government Regulations Favoring Adoption of Tunnel Automation Solutions
5.1.2 Growing Integration of IoT and Cloud With Tunnel Automation Solutions
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 High Deployment Costs of Tunnel Automation Solutions
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Offering
6.2 By Component
6.2.1 Lighting and Power Supply
6.2.4 Other Components
6.3 By Tunnel Type
6.3.2 Highways and Roadways
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
6.4.3 Asia Pacific
6.4.4 Latin America
6.4.5 Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Siemens AG
7.1.2 Johnson Controls Inc.
7.1.3 ABB Limited
7.1.4 SICK AG
7.1.5 Signify Holding BV
7.1.6 Agidens International NV
7.1.8 Indra Sistemas SA
7.1.9 Advantech Co., Ltd.
7.1.10 CODEL International Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Tunnel Automation Market Research FAQs
What is the current Tunnel Automation Market size?
The Tunnel Automation Market is projected to register a CAGR of 8.70% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Tunnel Automation Market?
Siemens AG, Johnson Controls Inc., ABB Limited, SICK AG and Signify Holding BV are the major companies operating in the Tunnel Automation Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Tunnel Automation Market?
Europe is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Tunnel Automation Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Tunnel Automation Market.
What years does this Tunnel Automation Market cover?
The report covers the Tunnel Automation Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Tunnel Automation Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Tunnel Automation Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Tunnel Automation market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Tunnel Automation analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.