Thailand Telecom Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Thailand Telecom Market Analysis
The Thailand Telecom Market revenue is expected to grow at a CAGR of 3.8% over the next five years. Most major telecom companies, such as AIS, DTAC, TrueMove, CAT Telecom, and Thaicom, are based in Thailand and promote innovation by making significant R&D investments consistently.
- Key players in the market are focused on deploying a 5G network that fulfills customers' needs. A high-capacity 5G data network will also support the Thailand government's action plan for promoting the adoption of 5G Technology in Thailand. According to a GSMA, 5G will drive a GDP uplift in Thailand by USD 10 billion by the end of 2030.
- For Instance, Ericsson's collaboration with ABB enables 5G connectivity to enterprises across a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, airports, ports, oil and gas, and mining. For service providers, 5G represents the excellent potential for providing new customer experiences and driving the market growth.
- For Instance, In July this year, Ericsson partnered with King Mongkut University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT) to support Thailand students in developing a 5 G-ready workforce in Thailand. Such initiatives will drive the telecom market to grow further.
- High installation cost is the primary restraint for the Thailand telecom market. To sustain growth in the telecom market, key players need to provide affordable services for customers.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has also changed the world. Due to the pandemic, a large portion of the Thailand population was forced to spend almost constantly at home. Thus, it increases the number of mobile subscribers and digital channels also increased. Post COVID-19 scenario created an unexpectedly high demand for mobile, fixed broadband, and OTT services.
Thailand Telecom Industry Segmentation
Telecom or Telecommunication is the long-range transmission of information by electromagnetic means. Thailand's Telecom Market includes in-depth trend analysis based on connectivity like Fixed Networks, Mobile Networks, and Telecom Towers. The telecom services are divided into Voice Services (Wired and Wireless), Data and Messaging Services, and OTT and PayTV Services. Several factors, including an increasing demand for 5G, likely drive the adoption of telecom services. The market sizes and forecasts are present in value (USD million) for all the above segments.
|Data and Messaging Services (Coverage to include Internet & Handset Data packages, Package Discounts)|
|OTT and PayTV Services|
Thailand Telecom Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Thailand Telecom Market according to our research experts:
Growing demand for Fixed Broadband Services
- Thailand has the most active internet population. Key players in the market are developing fiber-based broadband services for the country to create new opportunities for the telecom market.
- The Thailand government has recently improved its regulatory guidelines for more investment in the fixed broadband segment, enabling a faster transition from DSL and cable to fiber. The regulatory authorities will further support the Telecom market growth, which plays a significant role in offering fiber-based broadband services for its customers.
- The fixed broadband service revenue will increase, driven by fiber subscription growth. For Instance, The Thailand government spent USD 343 million last year to ensure Internet broadband connectivity for 24,700 villages in the country.
- Further Key players in the market are planning to shift from coper-based broadband services to fixed fiber-based broadband services. According to Ookla Speedtest Global Index, Thailand ranked 10th with a median fixed broadband download speed of 252.80 Mbps in September this year.
- For Instance, AIS has launched a 2 Gbps fiber-optic fixed broadband service for home customers. The new high-speed offering is available in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, and Samut Prakan, with two packages offering maximum down/upload speeds of 2 Gbps/500 Mbps for USD 38.7 per month. Key players in the market offering fiber-based broadband service will further create new growth opportunities for the telecom market.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing demad for OTT Services
- Mobile subscriptions are growing and thus increasing the demand for mobile data. Increasing mobile subscriptions will significantly increase the demand for OTT (over-the-top) services.
- According to DataReportal, Thailand's internet penetration increased to 77.8%. At the same time, people spend an average of around nine hours on the internet each day, an increase of 4.2% from last year. It indicates that the demand for OTT services will significantly grow.
- Further Key players in the market are planning to enhance their network capacity to provide high-speed connectivity services for their customers. According to Ookla Speedtest Global Index, Thailand ranked 44th with a median mobile download speed of 76.61 Mbps in September this year. Customers are migrating to mobile-based OTT services, thus creating new growth opportunities for the telecom market.
- For Instance, In June last year, AIS appointed an official distributor to launch the highly anticipated Disney+ Hotstar streaming service in Thailand. These OTT service providers will further create new growth opportunities for the telecom market.
Thailand Telecom Industry Overview
The Thailand telecom market is moderately fragmented due to the ongoing partnerships and current advancements in the market. Some major players in the market studied included AIS, DTAC, TrueMove, CAT Telecom, and Thaicom.
September 2022 - Chunghwa Telecom deployed a 5G Private Network for DELTA Electronics. National Telecom (NT), The WhiteSpace (The WSP), DELTA Electronics (Thailand), and Chunghwa Telecom signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to develop a 5G Private Network.
February 2022 - True Corporation and Total Access Communication (DTAC) entered an agreement to create a new telecom-tech company. This company collaboration aims to increase customer expectations and capture new growth opportunities in a fast-changing digital world.
Thailand Telecom Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Thailand Telecom Market News
- October 2022 - AIS partnered with Nokia to complete a 25G PON solution trial using the telco’s existing optical line terminals (OLTs). Service providers can provide high-speed connectivity through a single fiber cable. This partnership aims to offer customers speeds of up to 25 Gbps on the existing platform without the need to install new fiber and also allow the telco to provide enterprises with a high-speed and low latency replacement for point-to-point (P2P) connections.
- September 2022 -AIS partnered with ZTE Corporation to launch the 5G innovation hub named 5G A-Z Center in Thailand. This partnership aims to provide upgraded 5G services in Thailand.
Thailand Telecom Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Ecosystem Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 COVID-19 Impact on the Industry Ecosystem
4.5 Regulatory Landscape in the Thailand
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Rising demand for 5G
5.1.2 Growth of IoT usage in Telecom
5.2 Market Restrain
5.2.1 The emergence of stiff competition is a concern for the industry
5.3 Analysis of the Market based on Connectivity (Coverage to include In-depth Trend Analysis)
5.3.1 Fixed Network
22.214.171.124 Broadband (Cable modem, wireline-fiber, wireline DSL, fixed Wi-Fi ), Trends regarding ADSL/VDSL, FTTP/B, cable modem, FWA, and 5G FWA )
5.3.2 Mobile Network
126.96.36.199 Smartphone and mobile penetration
188.8.131.52 Mobile Broadband
184.108.40.206 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G connections
220.127.116.11 Smart Home IoT and M2M connections
5.4 Analysis of Telecom Towers (Coverage to include in-depth trend analysis of various types of towers, like, lattice, guyed, monopole, and stealth towers)
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Services
6.1.1 Voice Services
6.1.2 Data and Messaging Services (Coverage to include Internet & Handset Data packages, Package Discounts)
6.1.3 OTT and PayTV Services
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.2 CAT Telecom
7.1.3 True Corp
7.1.9 Triple T Broadband
7.1.10 Cable Thai (CTH)
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Thailand Telecom Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Thailand Telecom Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Thailand Telecom Market?
The Thailand Telecom Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.8% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Thailand Telecom Market?
AIS, DTAC, TrueMove, CAT Telecom, Thaicom are the major companies operating in Thailand Telecom Market.
Thailand Telecom Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Thailand Telecom market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Thailand Telecom analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.