|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia-Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The global talc market was valued at over USD 2.5 billion, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4.5% during the forecast period (2022-2027).
The market was negatively affected due to COVID-19 in 2020, thus affecting the market growth. However, the condition has started to recover in 2021, which is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Over the short term, increasing demand for industrial and marine coatings is driving the demand for talc, as it is used in industrial coatings, which provide benefits, such as corrosion protection, solvent reduction, and good adhesion.
- On the flipside, health issues in cosmetic products are expected to hamper the market's growth.
- The growing demand for thermoplastics in the aerospace industry is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the talc market globally, owing to the rising plastics market in China and the presence of white talc reserves in countries like India.
Scope of the Report
Talc is a soft, hydrous magnesium silicate used in many industries, including plastics, rubber, paints, paper, and pharmaceuticals. The market is segmented by deposit, end-user industry, and geography. By deposit, the market is segmented by talc chlorite and talc carbonate. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into ceramic, pulp and paper, paints and coatings, plastics and rubber, food and beverage, personal care, and other end-user industries. The report also covers market size and forecasts for the talc market in 16 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on value (USD million).
|Food and Beverage|
|Paints and Coatings|
|Plastics and Rubber|
|Pulp and Paper|
|Other End-user Industries (pharmaceutical, agriculture)|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Plastics and Rubber Industries
- In plastic manufacturing, talc is mainly used as a filler. Talc particles have platy shapes, which help increase the stiffness of products such as polypropylene, vinyl, polyethylene, nylon, and polyester. This also increases the heat resistance ability of these products and reduces shrinkage.
- The plastic industry is expected to grow in Asia-Pacific countries like China and India. The Chinese plastic industry is growing at a high rate due to the availability of cheaper raw materials and massive demand from developing economies.
- According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, in 2021, total plastic production in China stood at 82.33 million metric tons, an increase of 5.5% compared to 78.08 million metric tons in 2020.
- In rubber manufacturing, talc helps to provide bounce property to the rubber and prevents the rubber from stickiness. Properties, such as high heat resistivity and bonding qualities of talc, make it an appropriate choice for rubber application.
- According to the International Rubber Study Group (IRSG) and Malaysian Rubber Council (MRC), in the first nine months of 2021, global rubber production increased by 8.9% to 21.6 million tons from 19.8 million tons in the same period the previous year.
- All the aforementioned factors, in turn, are expected to drive the demand in the talc market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global market share with the growing demand from the countries such as China, India, and Japan.
- According to U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), India is the largest producer of talc in the world followed by China. In 2021, the mine production of talc in India and China stood at 1,700 thousand metric tons and 1,400 thousand metric tons respectively.
- India is one of the few countries with white talc reserves. The deposits of talc are found throughout the country. Most of the white talc produced is consumed in the country itself
- In India, most of the commercial production of talc comes from Rajasthan. The two leading talc producers in the country (Golcha Group and Golcha Associated) are based in Jaipur, Rajasthan, catering cosmetics and polymer industry with talc of superior grades.
- According to The Plastics Export Promotion Council (PLEXCONCIL), India’s plastics export increased by a 55% to USD 3,417 million (cumulative value) in April-to-June 2021 as compared to USD 2,211 million in April-June 2020.
- Furthermore, China has a huge plastics market that requires a high supply of talc to function. In China, talc is found in 15 provinces, with Liaoning, Shandong, Guangxi, Jiangxi, and Qinghai as the prominent areas that account for more than 90% of the total reserves.
- China stopped manufacturing its own pulp, which resulted in the rise of pulp prices which is expected to hinder the growth of talc consumption in the pulp and paper industry of the country.
- All these factors, in turn, are expected to drive the demand for talc in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The talc market is moderately consolidated. The top players in the market (in no particular order) include Mineral Technologies Inc., IMI Fabi SpA, Imerys, Golcha Group, and Nippon Talc Co. Ltd.
- In January 2021, Specialty Minerals Inc. (SMI), a subsidiary of Minerals Technologies Inc., communicated that it had increased prices across its mineral product portfolio, effective January 1, 2021. Talc products produced at Barretts, MT, and Bay City, TX will increase by 5-10%, depending on the product line.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Industrial and Marine Coatings
4.1.2 Increasing Plastic Applications from Various Industries
4.2.1 Health Issues in Cosmetic Products
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Talc Chlorite
5.1.2 Talc Carbonate
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.2 Food and Beverage
5.2.3 Paints and Coatings
5.2.4 Personal Care
5.2.5 Plastics and Rubber
5.2.6 Pulp and Paper
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries (pharmaceutical, agriculture)
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share(%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 IMI Fabi SpA
6.4.2 ANAND TALC
6.4.3 Golcha Group
6.4.4 Crips Guangxi Guilin Longsheng HuaMei Talc Development Co. Ltd
6.4.6 LITHOS Industrial Minerals GmbH
6.4.7 Minerals Technologies Inc.
6.4.8 ELEMENTIS PLC
6.4.9 Nippon Talc Co. Ltd
6.4.10 Superior Materials Inc.
6.4.11 Chanda Minerals
6.4.12 AKJ MinChem
6.4.13 Mughne Group
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Demand for Thermoplastics in the Aerospace Industry
7.2 Other Opportunities
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Talc Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Talc Market?
The Talc Market is growing at a CAGR of >4.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Talc Market?
Asia-Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Talc Market?
Asia-Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Talc Market?
Mineral Technologies Inc., IMI Fabi SpA, Golcha Group, Imerys, Nippon Talc Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in Talc Market.