The sugar substitute market is expecting a growing demand, driven by the rising sales of different sugar substitutes, including artificial sweeteners and natural sweeteners. Food manufacturers choose among the available sugar substitutes based on taste considerations, stability, and cost. In some instances, blends of sugar substitutes are used. Regulators in both, the United States and Europe, have approved the use of stevia sweetener. As a result, demand for the stevia leaf is skyrocketing. Sugar substitute imports into markets such as Indonesia and India are still considered low in volume due to the lack of health motivation.
Despite the high CAGR in developing countries, the market has yet to reach full potential. When it does, there will be a further surge in market growth.
Weight-related problems and diabetes are the primary drivers for the global non-sugar sweetener market. Consumers choose various sugar substitutes, thus fueling the global sugar substitutes market. Consumers have become more health-conscious and pay attention to food labels to check the calorie content of the product. Therefore, food processing companies are adding low-calorie and sugar-free alternatives to their product lines.
The sugar substitutes market is segmented by type into HIS (high intensity sweeteners), LIS (low intensity sweeteners), and HFCS. The HIS segment is gaining more popularity than the artificial sweeteners segment, as it has no side-effects, however, decreased availability and development of more health-conscious artificial sweeteners have shifted preferences of consumers towards artificial sweeteners.
The global sugar substitutes market is classified, based on application, into the food & beverage sector. HFCS and HIS is used widely in the food & beverage industry as a sugar substitute in products including bakery products, cereals, syrups, fruit-based products, and ready-to-drink beverages, thus providing a great opportunity for the market for sugar substitutes. Moreover, the development for low-sugar foods for diabetic and diet-conscious clients, coupled with growing diet liquids demand, is projected to increase demand during 2018-2023. Products with special sweeteners have low energy content, are used to control weight, and are prescribed by doctors for diabetics as they do not affect blood sugar level.
North America dominated the sweetener market in 2017 with a share of 35%. The growth in demand for sugar substitutes in industrial and non-industrial applications and changing consumer preferences have accelerated market growth in the region. North America is also a leading producer and consumer in the sweetener market, due to the growing demand for convenience food, functional food, and alternative sugar sources.
Key Developments in the Market
- The Mexican government has implemented a tax on polyol sugar sweetened beverages at USD 0.057 per liter, influencing consumers concerned about their dietary habits, thus accelerating the market for specialty sweetener in this region.
- PureCircle is to ramp up production of StartLeaf stevia by almost 200% in the face of growing demand for the natural sweetener.
- GLG Life Tech Corp launched its Reb M sweetener product line in collaboration with Archer Daniels Midland Co. The sweeteners are made from GLG Life Tech's proprietary high Reb M Dream Sweetener stevia leaf.
- PepsiCo is adding aspartame back to its flagship Diet Pepsi product.
Major players: Ajinomoto Co., Inc., Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill Inc., DuPont, Ingredion Incrporated, JK Sucralose Inc., Pure Circle Limited, Roquette, Tate & Lyle, and The Nutra Sweet Company, among others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors that are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Regional and country-level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market shares of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 month analyst support, along with the Market Estimates sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Key Deliverables of the Study
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definitions
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.2 Research Design
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering & Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Market Overview
3.1 Consumer Behavioural Analysis
3.2 Market Trends
3.3 Market Dynamics
3.3.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
188.8.131.52 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
184.108.40.206 Bargaining Power of Buyers
220.127.116.11 Threat of New Entrants
18.104.22.168 Threat of Substitute Products & Services
22.214.171.124 Degree of Competition
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By Product Type (Market Trend, Demand, Market Sizing & Forecast)
4.1.1 High Intensity Sweeteners
4.1.2 Low Intensity Sweeteners
4.1.3 High Fructose Syrup
4.2 By Application Type(Market Trend, Demand, Market Sizing & Forecast)
126.96.36.199 Dairy and Frozen Foods
4.2.3 Health and Personal Care
4.3 By Geography (Market Trend, Demand, Market Size & Forecast of Form Type by Each Country and by Geography)
4.3.1 North America (Market Trend, Demand, Market Size & Forecast of Form Type by Country)
188.8.131.52 United States
4.3.2 Europe (Market Trend, Demand, Market Size & Forecast of Form Type by Each Country and by Geography)
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
4.3.3 Asia-Pacific (Market Trend, Demand, Market Size & Forecast of Form Type by Each Country and by Geography)
4.3.4 South America (Market Trend, Demand, Market Size & Forecast of Form Type by Each Country and by Geography)
4.3.5 Africa (Market Trend, Demand, Market Size & Forecast of Form Type by Each Country and by Geography)
220.127.116.11 South Africa
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Strategy Adopted by Key Players
5.2 Most Active Companies in the Past Five Years
5.3 Market Share Analysis
6. Company Profiles
6.1 Tate & Lyle
6.2 Cargill Inc.
6.3 Archer Daniels Midland
6.4 Ingredion Incrporated
6.6 Ajinomoto Co., Inc.
6.7 JK Sucralose Inc.
6.8 Pure Circle Limited
6.9 The Nutra Sweet Company