Fat-Replacers Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Fat-Replacers Market Analysis
The fat replacers market was valued at USD 2.6 billion for the current year and is expected to register at a CAGR of 6.2% over the next five years.
- Chemically, fat replacers resemble fats, proteins, or carbohydrates. The rising awareness regarding health issues among consumers is making them change their dietary habits and eat less amount of fat. Owing to these reasons, fat replacers have a huge market opportunity. Fat replacers are a boon for society, as high fat intake can lead to obesity and cause cancer, high blood cholesterol, or coronary heart disease.
- According to Health Survey England (HSE) data from 2021, 25.9% of adults in England are obese. Consumers are becoming more conscious regarding healthy diets and increasing their inclination toward low-fat or fat-free food products, thus providing a lucrative opportunity for the key players to innovate in the product type and ingredients to capture a health-conscious consumer base.
- Growth is anticipated to be fueled by consumer demand for calorie-conscious foods and novel food ingredients during the projection period. Fat substitutes are most commonly used in processed meat, baking, and confectionery products, owing to mimicking the flavor and sensory characteristics of dietary fat. The desire for baked and ready-to-eat food products is to be held responsible for growing preference. Therefore, demand for more refined products is anticipated to increase as the food industry evolves.
- Food producers constantly invest in R&D to create products with the minimum calories. For instance, in September 2022, a United Kingdom brand launched a new plant-based beef alternative with the use of a new fat substitute. The brand uses fat substitute made from olive oil that brings texture and taste to the products. Over the medium term, the demand for fat replacers is expected to increase owing to the increasing demand for low-calorie foods and product innovations.
Fat-Replacers Market Trends
Carbohydrate-based Fat Replacers Hold the Largest Market Share
- Carbohydrate-based fat replacers help retain texture, moisture, and viscosity, provide mouthfeel, and continue to lead the market because of their status as generally recognized as safe (GRAS) substances. Carbohydrates like cellulose can replace some or all of the fat in dairy products, sauces, frozen desserts, and salad dressings.
- Fiber-based products, such as guar gum, locust bean, xanthan gum, gum arabic, pectins, and carrageenan, have virtually no calories. They provide a thickening or gelling effect and promote a creamy texture within the food. The market players have been launching carbohydrates in the market for various purposes.
- For instance, in November 2022, CP Kelco launched KelcoGel, a gellan gum used for the mouthfeel and texture of food products. The demand for convenient foods and spicy food is increasing, owing to which the demand for sauces and salad dressings is also increasing. This, in turn, increases the demand for fat replacers in the food industry. Inulin, maltodextrin, and plant fibers are a few examples of carbohydrate-based lipid substitutes. Pectins, oleo gels, and whey proteins are some examples of gums and gels utilized as fat substitutes.
Asia-Pacific Remains the Fastest-growing Region
- Asia-Pacific is estimated to register the highest growth rate due to the rise in population and nutrition requirement per person, especially in the dairy industry, coupled with healthy dietary habits. In addition to the health benefits, fat substitutes are frequently employed in bakery and confectionery products for their practical advantages. Due to the increasing prevalence of lifestyle diseases like diabetes, cholesterol, obesity, and many more, consumers' demand for low-fat and low-calorie food is increasing.
- Owing to this, the manufacturers are using fat replacers to reduce the overall lipid profile of the product. The fat substitutes provide functional benefits such as texture and gloss, emulsification, and preventing sticky textures. The Asia-Pacific fat replacers market is driven by the rising demand for processed bakery products, with growing awareness among consumers for clean-label products and healthy ingredients.
Fat-Replacers Industry Overview
The fat replacers market is fragmented, with regional and global players dominating the market. The prominent players in the market include Cargill Inc., Archer Daniels Midland Company, CP Kelco U.S., Inc., Grain Processing Corporation, and Tate & Lyle PLC. Food manufacturers have been using different types of fat substitutes as the demand for low-fat and low-calorie food is increasing. Owing to this, the market players are innovating new substitutes with the use of different ingredients.
Fat-Replacers Market Leaders
Archer Daniels Midland Company
CP Kelco U.S., Inc.
Grain Processing Corporation
Tate & Lyle PLC
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Fat-Replacers Market News
- March 2023: Shiru, an artificial intelligence (AI) powered discovery and development company, launched OleoPro, a plant-protein-based fat ingredient for its use in alternative protein food products. The company claims that the new ingredient contains 90% less saturated fat.
- May 2022: Epogee launched reduced-calorie alternative fat, EPG (esterified propoxylated glycerol), for plant-based products. The purpose of this launch was to provide a functional alternative to a plant-based meat alternative.
- February 2022: Givaudan SA launched Prime Lock+, an integrated technology to protect flavor and fat within plant-based meat.
- May 2021: Cubiq Foods has launched Go!Drop, a fat replacer that enhances juiciness, provides a full flavor profile and contains fewer calories, reduced saturated fats, and 20% less oil. This innovative fat replacer is stabilized using vegan ingredients.
Fat-Replacers Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Low-Fat and Low-Calorie Food
4.1.2 Increasing Product Innovation
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Higher Production Cost of Fat Replacers
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.2.4 Other Types
5.4.1 Processed Meat
5.4.2 Bakery and Confectionery
5.4.4 Convenience Food
5.5.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.5.5 Middle East and Africa
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Cargill Inc.
6.3.2 Archer Daniels Midland Company
6.3.3 CP Kelco U.S. Inc.
6.3.4 Grain Processing Corporation
6.3.5 Tate & Lyle PLC
6.3.6 Corbion NV
6.3.7 Fiberstar Inc.
6.3.10 Givaudan SA
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Fat-Replacers Market Research FAQs
What is the current Fat Replacers Market size?
The Fat Replacers Market is projected to register a CAGR of 6.20% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Fat Replacers Market?
Cargill Inc., Archer Daniels Midland Company, CP Kelco U.S., Inc., Grain Processing Corporation and Tate & Lyle PLC are the major companies operating in the Fat Replacers Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Fat Replacers Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Fat Replacers Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Fat Replacers Market.
What years does this Fat Replacers Market cover?
The report covers the Fat Replacers Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Fat Replacers Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Fat-Replacers Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Fat-Replacers market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Fat-Replacers analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.