Norway Mobile Payments Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Fastest Growing Market||Europe|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Norway Mobile Payments Market Analysis
Norway has had an efficient payment system that benefits all consumers for several decades. The adoption of the new technology is changing the payment gateway. The number of mobile payments and contactless card payment is on the rise. It has opened opportunities for new types of payment systems and new kinds of money. Most banks in Norway are launching central bank digital currencies, which helps the market grow.
- Norwegian banks are vulnerable to cyberattacks and hacking. Financial stability may be put at risk as attacks become more sophisticated. Inadequate security can stifle market growth. The Norwegian financial system is vulnerable due to its high level of digitalization and interconnection. Financial institutions are reporting increasingly sophisticated attacks.
- Apps for mobile banking are becoming more common. App developers can identify the immediate impact of these apps and create them to satisfy the needs of all users. Banking consumers receive assistance that they never imagined possible because of artificial intelligence. Instead of being forced to visit a physical location, customers now have more options than ever.
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Norway's mobile payment was positive as the payment market has transformed with major change as the people of Norway have increased the option of opting for contactless payments and reduced cash usage. Though the covid has hampered many industries' e-commerce for the short term due to reduced consumer spending, it has made online purchasing more appealing, as most consumers are staying at home and using online platforms to purchase goods.
Norway Mobile Payments Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Norway Mobile Payments Market according to our research experts:
Growing Adoption of the Online Shopping among the Norwegian
- Mobile shopping is becoming the norm, and the Omni channel is still a powerful strategy in many segments. On the payment side, the local payment option VIPPS is rapidly gaining traction and winning market share. Data-driven customer focus and partnerships with strong synergies seem to be the fortification strategy for an expected Amazon entry in 2020 or 2021.
- With the high bank, smartphone, and internet penetration, Norway has an excellent infrastructure to support e-commerce merchants. Cards are a priority for online payments. For a long time, Norway has been an affluent market with a major interest in e-commerce and many purchases made from foreign retailers due to geographical and logistical factors.
- According to the data published by Statistics Norway, the share of online shoppers in Norway Films and music purchases had the largest share of online shoppers in Norway as of 2021. While travel services were purchased online by as high as 60 percent of the consumers in 2019, by 2020, this share dropped to 34 percent due to the coronavirus pandemic and remained stable in 2021. Likewise, online shopping for events dropped from 51 percent in 2019 to 12 percent in 2021.
- According to a survey of Norges Bank the previous year, PayPal was the second most common digital payment method in Norway after paying with cards. Vipps was the third most common digital payment method, used by around a third of the respondents.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Rise of E-commerce Industry In Norway
- Over the past few decades, Norway has been an affluent market with a major interest in e-commerce and many purchases made from foreign retailers due to geographical and logistical factors.
- Payment by debit card and credit card is a preferred option for consumers in Norway, but other electronic and wireless payment options are growing rapidly. Less than 30% of consumers think it is important to have the opportunity to pay via invoice. VIPPS, owned by most major regional banks, is growing rapidly and may already have taken the lead as the preferred payment method. Apple Pay and Pay Pal still have marginal market share.
- Amid growing demand for e-commerce purchases, Norwegian supermarket chain Coop Norge AS launched its online store in November 2021, enabling consumers to purchase grocery items online. Meanwhile, Denmark-based home accessories retailer Søstrene Grene launched its online store in the country in March 2021.
- E-commerce is firmly entrenched in Norway, a country boasting excellent digital infrastructure and comfortable adapting to new technology. Most of the population, 79 %, have already shopped online. With 53 % of transactions completed via mobile, Norway has one of the highest mobile commerce rates in Europe, outranking much larger e-commerce economies such as France and Germany.
Norway Mobile Payments Industry Overview
The Norway America Mobile Payments Market is highly competitive and fragmented, with major players such as Vipps, Apple Inc., PayPal Inc., mCash, and others. Companies are introducing new offerings to increase market share and continuously investing in partnerships, acquisitions, and product development. The companies' most recent developments are listed below.
- June 2021-MobilePay merged with Norwegian Vipps and Finnish Pivo, creating one of Europe's largest bank-owned mobile payment providers. Vipps in Norway to connect the three mobile payment providers, MobilePay, Vipps, and Pivo. The ambition is to create Europe's best and most comprehensive digital wallet. Serving 11 million users and over 330,000 shops and web shops, the company will be one of Europe's largest bank-owned mobile payment providers.
- February 2021 - PayPal is made available to Nordic merchants by Nets European payment services provider. The change will allow the company's customers in Washington to use PayPal on the Nets e-commerce platform NetsEASY.
Norway Mobile Payments Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Norway Mobile Payments Market News
- April 2022 - Westpay has integrated Vipps payment solutions into the Swipe2Pay technology. Vipps is the obvious choice for in-store payments in the Norwegian market, as the first transactions have just been completed. Westpay has a cutting-edge technology platform with Swipe2Pay that enables new alternative payment methods in addition to conventional card-present payments. Additionally, this partnership will increase Westpay's transaction revenue while enhancing the value of Vipps and Westpay's services to consumers and businesses.
Norway Mobile Payments Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.4 COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Adoption of the Digitalization
5.1.2 Rise of Personal Financial Apps
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Security of the Data can Hinder the Growth of the Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 Payment Mode
6.1.1 Proximity Payment
6.1.2 Remote Payment
6.2 By Technology
6.2.2 QR Code
6.2.3 WAP & Card-Based
6.2.4 Banking App-based
6.3 By End User
6.3.3 Energy & Utilities
6.3.4 Hospitality and Transporatation
6.4 By Geography
6.4.1 North America
6.4.4 Latin America
6.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Apple, Inc.
7.1.6 Early Warning Services, LLC
7.1.7 The Western Union Company
7.1.8 Intuit Pay
7.1.9 Bank Of America
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Norway Mobile Payments Market Research FAQs
What is the current Norway Mobile Payments Market size?
The Norway Mobile Payments Market is projected to register a CAGR of 10.1% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Norway Mobile Payments Market?
Vipps, Apple Inc., Google Pay, PayPal and MCASH are the major companies operating in the Norway Mobile Payments Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Norway Mobile Payments Market?
Europe is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Norway Mobile Payments Market?
In 2023, the Europe accounts for the largest market share in the Norway Mobile Payments Market.
Norway Mobile Payments Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Norway Mobile Payments market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Norway Mobile Payments analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.