North America forms a comparatively small market for probiotics on a global basis, accounting for an estimated share of about 18% in 2016. However, the demand for these products in the region is expected to register the fastest growth over 2018-2023. The United States is the largest probiotics market, with an estimated share of about 83% in 2016, and is also forecasted to be the fastest growing. This can be attributed to a greater acceptance of probiotic dietary supplements and focus on preventive healthcare in the region.
Prevention and cure of disorders such as lactose intolerance and inflammatory bowel disease are some of the benefits offered by probiotics, with rising health-consciousness levels and wider access to probiotic dietary supplements. The past decade has witnessed the launch of more than 500 food & beverage probiotic products, which have garnered exceptional acceptance. Some of the factors that lead to digestive disorders, bloating, and reduction in resistance to infections include poor and untimely diet, age, and stress levels. Studies have revealed that products enhanced with probiotics have been successful in moderating these conditions to a large extent.
The market is segmented by product type into yeast, lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, and some other species of bacteria.
By application, this market includes food & beverage, dietary supplements, and specialty nutrients. The food & beverage segment is leading the market, owing to the health benefits associated with functional food ingredients. The dietary supplements segment is expected to grow rapidly during the forecast period. Further classification includes function type and end use. Functional food and beverages is the largest market, and dietary supplements is the fastest growing segment, with a CAGR of 8.2% during the forecast period. Function type includes regular, prevention of disease, and therapy.
The United States is the largest market for probiotics, followed by Canada. The major reason contributing to the growth of the market in the United States is the increasing population and the growing economies. The region is projected to register the highest CAGR of 7.04% during the forecast period.
- February 2018- A 50:50 Joint adventure between Yakult Honsha and Danone released the latest variant on its signature probiotic drink, called Yakult Light.
- August 2017 - DuPont invested USD 10 million to strengthen and embolden its current impressive position as a leader in the probiotics industry, allowing for increased pace of new product development and significantly improved delivery times on pilot material for clinical trials and customer evaluations.
The major players include - American Biologics, Biogaia Ab, Bio-K+ International, Inc., Chr. Hansen Holdings A/S, Danone, E. I. DuPont De Nemours, Ganeden, Inc., Kirkman, Lifeway Foods, Inc., Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd, Natren, Inc., Nebraska Cultures Inc., Nestle, Now Foods, and Yakult, among others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis
- Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors that are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come
- Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects
- Regional and country-level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market
- Competitive landscape involving the market shares of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Market Definition
2. Research Approach and Methodology
2.2 Research Designs
2.3 Study Timelines
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering and Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. Market Overview
3.1 Market Trends
4. Market Dynamics
4.1.1 Dairy Sector Driving Probiotic Growth
4.1.2 Increasing Demand for Functional Foods & Beverages
4.1.3 Increasing Concern about Preventive Health
4.2.1 Low Consumer Awareness of Specific Health Benefits of Probiotics
4.3.1 Product Innovation
4.3.2 Preventive Medicine: Pediatric Health, GI Disorders, Immune Health
4.4 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Degree of Competition
4.4.4 Threat of Substitution
4.4.5 Threat of New Entrants
5. Global Market Segmentation
5.1 By Product Type
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Functional Food and Beverage
5.2.2 Dietary Supplements
5.2.3 Specialty Nutrients
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
184.108.40.206 Rest of North America
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
7. Company Profiles
7.4 Chr. Hansen Holdings A/S
7.5 E. I. DuPont De Nemours
7.6 Biogaia Ab
7.7 Lifeway Foods, Inc.
7.8 Nebraska Cultures Inc.
7.9 Ganeden, Inc.
7.11 Morinaga Milk Industry Co., Ltd.
7.12 American Biologics
7.13 Bio-K+ International, Inc.
7.14 Natren, Inc.
7.15 Now Foods