|Study Period:||2015 - 2027|
|Largest Share by End User:||Automotive|
|Fastest Growing by End User:||Metallurgy & Metalworking|
The Japan Lubricants Market stood at 1.46 billion liters in 2022 and is projected to register a CAGR of NaN% to reach NaN liters in 2027.
- Largest Segment by End-user Industry - Automotive : Among end-use segments, automotive was the largest due to the high proportion of engine & transmission oil usage in motor vehicles compared to other industrial applications.
- Fastest Segment by End-user Industry - Metallurgy & Metalworking : Power generation is likely to be the fastest-growing end user of lubricants in Japan due to the growing usage of natural gas reactors and wind turbines for energy generation.
- Largest Segment by Product Type - Engine Oils : Due to the varying engine sizes of cars, trucks, and buses and the high oil changing frequencies, engine oils are the most widely used product category in Japan.
- Fastest Segment by Product Type - Metalworking Fluids : Hydraulic fluids are used in construction, mining, steel, marine & aviation, and their consumption is predicted to expand faster with rising activities in these sectors.
Scope of the Report
|By End User|
|Metallurgy & Metalworking|
|Other End-user Industries|
|By Product Type|
|Transmission & Gear Oils|
|Other Product Types|
Key Market Trends
Largest Segment By End User : Automotive
- In 2020, the Japanese lubricant market was dominated by the automotive industry, which accounted for around 36% of the total lubricant consumption. During 2015-2019, lubricant consumption in the automotive industry decreased by around 10% due to the stagnant vehicle outputs and usage rates.
- In 2020, COVID-19 related restrictions led to declined maintenance requirements from several industries. The major impact was observed in the automotive industry, which recorded a dip of 12.6%, followed by heavy equipment (10.1%).
- Power generation is likely to be the fastest-growing end-user industry of the market studied, with a CAGR of 3.92% over 2021-2026, followed by metallurgy and metalworking (2.09%). The increasing power generation capacity in the country is likely to drive the consumption of lubricants in the power generation capacity.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The Japan Lubricants Market is fairly consolidated, with the top five companies occupying 82.28%. The major players in this market are Cosmo Energy Holdings Co. Ltd, ENEOS Corporation, ExxonMobil Corporation, Idemitsu Kosan Co. Ltd and Royal Dutch Shell Plc (sorted alphabetically).
- March 2022: ExxonMobil Corporation company has appointed Jay Hooley as lead managing director of the company.
- January 2022: Effective April 1, ExxonMobil Corporation was organized along three business lines – ExxonMobil Upstream Company, ExxonMobil Product Solutions and ExxonMobil Low Carbon Solutions.
- January 2022: Effective January 21, 2022, Royal Dutch Shell plc changes its name to Shell plc.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary & Key Findings
2.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
2.2 Scope of the Study
2.3 Research Methodology
3. Key Industry Trends
3.1 Automotive Industry Trends
3.2 Manufacturing Industry Trends
3.3 Power Generation Industry Trends
3.4 Regulatory Framework
3.5 Value Chain & Distribution Channel Analysis
4. Market Segmentation
4.1 By End User
4.1.2 Heavy Equipment
4.1.3 Metallurgy & Metalworking
4.1.4 Power Generation
4.1.5 Other End-user Industries
4.2 By Product Type
4.2.1 Engine Oils
4.2.3 Hydraulic Fluids
4.2.4 Metalworking Fluids
4.2.5 Transmission & Gear Oils
4.2.6 Other Product Types
5. Competitive Landscape
5.1 Key Strategic Moves
5.2 Market Share Analysis
5.3 Company Profiles
5.3.1 BP Plc (Castrol)
5.3.2 Cosmo Energy Holdings Co. Ltd
5.3.3 ENEOS Corporation
5.3.4 ExxonMobil Corporation
5.3.6 Idemitsu Kosan Co. Ltd
5.3.7 Japan Sun Oil Company Ltd (SUNOCO Inc.)
5.3.8 MITASU OIL CORPORATION
5.3.9 Royal Dutch Shell Plc
5.3.10 Yushiro Chemical Industry Co. Ltd
6.1 Appendix-1 References
6.2 Appendix-2 List of Tables & Figures
7. Key Strategic Questions for Lubricants CEOs
List of Tables & Figures
VEHICLE POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, JAPAN, 2015 - 2026
COMMERCIAL VEHICLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, JAPAN, 2015 - 2026
MOTORCYCLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, JAPAN, 2015 - 2026
PASSENGER VEHICLES POPULATION, NUMBER OF UNITS, JAPAN, 2015 - 2026
MANUFACTURING VALUE ADDED, USD BILLION (CURRENT VALUE), JAPAN, 2015 - 2020
POWER GENERATION CAPACITY, GIGAWATT (GW), JAPAN, 2015 - 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, BY END USER, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, AUTOMOTIVE, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, AUTOMOTIVE, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, HEAVY EQUIPMENT, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, HEAVY EQUIPMENT, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, METALLURGY & METALWORKING, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, METALLURGY & METALWORKING, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, POWER GENERATION, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, POWER GENERATION, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, OTHER END-USER INDUSTRIES, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, OTHER END-USER INDUSTRIES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY PRODUCT TYPE, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, ENGINE OILS, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, ENGINE OILS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, GREASES, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, GREASES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, HYDRAULIC FLUIDS, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, HYDRAULIC FLUIDS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, METALWORKING FLUIDS, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, METALWORKING FLUIDS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, TRANSMISSION & GEAR OILS, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, TRANSMISSION & GEAR OILS, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, VOLUME IN LITERS, OTHER PRODUCT TYPES, 2015-2026
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, OTHER PRODUCT TYPES, VOLUME SHARE (%), BY END USER, 2020
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, MOST ACTIVE COMPANIES, BY NUMBER OF STRATEGIC MOVES, 2018 - 2021
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET, MOST ADOPTED STRATEGIES, 2018 - 2021
JAPAN LUBRICANTS MARKET SHARE(%), BY MAJOR PLAYERS, 2020
- Vehicle Types - Passenger Vehicles, Commercial Vehicles and Motorcycles are the vehicle types considered under the automotive lubricants market.
- Product Types - For the purpose of this study, lubricant products such as engine oils, transmission oils, greases and hydraulic fluids are taken into consideration.
- Service Refill - Service refill is the primary factor considered while accounting the lubricant consumption for each of the vehicle segments, under the study.
- Factory Fill - First lubricant fill-ups for newly produced vehicles are considered.
Mordor Intelligence follows a four-step methodology in all our reports.
- Step-1: Identify Key Variables: The quantifiable key variables (industry and extraneous) pertaining to the specific product segment and country are selected from a group of relevant variables & factors based on desk research & literature review; along with primary expert inputs. These variables are further confirmed through regression modeling (wherever required).
- Step-2: Build a Market Model: In order to build a robust forecasting methodology, the variables and factors identified in Step-1 are tested against available historical market numbers. Through an iterative process, the variables required for market forecast are set and the model is built on the basis of these variables.
- Step-3: Validate and Finalize: In this important step, all market numbers, variables and analyst calls are validated through an extensive network of primary research experts from the market studied. The respondents are selected across levels and functions to generate a holistic picture of the market studied.
- Step-4: Research Outputs: Syndicated Reports, Custom Consulting Assignments, Databases & Subscription Platforms