Japan Container Glass Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Japan Container Glass Market Analysis
The Japan Container Glass Market is expected to register a CAGR of 3.2% during the forecast period (2020 - 2027). The demand for glass containers is increasing due to various advantages such as infinitely reusable, recyclable, refillable, and increasing acceptance in multiple industries, which are the key factors driving the market growth.
- The demand for healthier and safer packaging is driving the country's container glass industry. New shapes, aesthetic improvements, and embossing make the packaging more appealing to the end consumer. Glass packaging is growing due to the need for biodegradable and environmentally friendly products and the rise of the food and beverage market.
- Japanese beverage containers are primarily made of glass bottles, the beverage industry still operates effective bottle recycling systems. Also, the problem of waste and global warming progresses, glass containers are driving the market.
- According to Mainichi News 2021, 23 Japanese companies, from food to cosmetics, will join an initiative to collect and reuse containers to reduce plastic waste. The companies focus on glass containers that are easy to reuse with a simple design that gives a sense of unity, making a clear distinction from ordinary retail products. Such initiatives ny the organizations drive the glass container market in the country.
- However, glass production requires an excess of thermal energy and the release of the raw material CO2 during the melting process. Commercial glass containers are not easy to recycle. Various efforts have been made in the Japanese glass industry to reduce glass's environmental impact, which can hinder the market's growth.
- Covid-19 pandemic impacted companies negatively with the shutdown of manufacturing plants across the country. But, lockdown measures during the COVID-19 pandemic led to a surge in demand for home delivery and take-out services. The use of glass bottles and cans from home increased during the pandemic.
Japan Container Glass Industry Segmentation
Glass Containers refer to clean bottles and jars, among others products type made from clear glass. The scope excludes windows and other non-container glass, porcelain and ceramic products.
Japan Container Glass Market is segmented By End-User Industry (Beverage, (Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic), Food, Cosmetics, Pharmaceuticals)
|Other End user verticals|
Japan Container Glass Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Japan Container Glass Market according to our research experts:
Pharmaceutical Industry to Witness Significant Growth
- Japan has one of the fastest-growing pharmaceutical sectors, always focusing on strong innovation and patent pharmaceuticals. The Japanese government is also helping to drive growth by removing barriers to international investment, fueling the country's pharmaceutical market. With the growing demand in the pharmaceutical sector, the use of glass containers is expected to rise in the country.
- Companies in the region expanded their production and manufacturing capacity due to the COVID-19 pandemic to support the pharmaceutical industry. For instance, Nipro Corporation Japan is investing USD 13.6 million in a new glass packaging plant for the pharmaceutical industry in Croatia. This new factory will produce glass ampoules and vials to package life-saving drugs.
- Recently, Namicos a provider of glass containers for the pharmaceutical industry hosted one of the first meetings of the Pharma & Biopharmaceutical Outsourcing Association of America (PBOA) and the Japan CMO Association. CMO representatives from Japan and the world attended this joint gathering to share his CMO/CDMO vision in the US and Japan and the best practices, ideas, and knowledge shaping the international pharmaceutical industry. Such initiatives will further leverage the market for pharmaceutical glass containers in the region.
- Organizations are focused on innovating new products in the market. For instance, in July, KOA Glass Co., Ltd. introduced a new glass jar for the Loop project. Shiseido AQUA LABEL's "Special Gel Cream A (Oil-in)" will go on sale in Loop Japan's "Loop EC." The company's product has been adopted as the container for this product. This cream is the first skincare product for Loop Japan. The company has developed the jar to be highly durable and to give a sense of luxury.
- Additionally, in the past few years, Japan has emphasized recycling glass containers and bottles to reduce its carbon footprint and has built multiple glass recycling plants across the country. The strong recycling infrastructure, in a way, promotes the use of glass packaging due to its functional property advantages.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Beverage Sales to Drive the Market Growth
- Glass is one of the most preferred packaging materials for alcoholic beverages such as spirits. The ability of glass bottles to retain product aromas and flavors is driving demand. Glass bottles are most preferred for wine packaging, especially tinted glass, as the wine should not be exposed to sunlight. Increasing consumption of wine is expected to lead to the demand for glass packaging during the forecast period in the country.
- According to Meininger's Wine Business International in January 2021 , Japan is considered the second largest wine consumer in Asia and the sixth largest importer globally. Japan is also the third largest importer of sparkling wine. Governments have signed EPAs with many wine-producing countries to eliminate or reduce tariffs.
- Moroever, Coca-Cola Japan is trying to make more environmentally friendly products by removing plastic labels from its beverages and reducing the power consumption of its vending machines. Coca-Cola's latest campaign follows announcement to make 25% of its packaging worldwide recyclable by 2030 and reusable packaging includes returnable glass bottles and more. This leverages the market for glass containers in the region.
- In Japan, a law to reduce the use of disposable plastic products has been enforced since April 2022, and companies that use large amounts of disposable plastic are obliged to reduce their use. Convenience stores, restaurants, hotels, laundries, etc., will be asked to set specific targets to reduce their use of single-use plastic products. Such laws enforced by the government will improve the market for glass containers in Japan.
Japan Container Glass Industry Overview
The Japan Glass Container Market is moderately fragmented with key players such as Amcor PLC, Toyo Seikan Group Holdings, Ltd, Japan Seiko Glass, and more. These players have a significant share in the market and are focused on innovations and expansion of their business by collaborating and mergers.
- April 2021 - Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited has announced that it has received two 2021 Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) from the International Society of Pharmaceutical Engineers (ISPE). Takeda's new solid pharmaceutical packaging building in Hikari, Japan, has won the 2021 Process Intelligence and Innovation Award. Additionally, the end-to-end high potency medicines facility in Grange Castle, Ireland, was selected as a 'Facility Integration.'
- January 2021 - Nipro Corporation announced partnership with ADCHEM. The agreement involves the promotion of NIPRO’s extensive range of primary packaging made from tubular glass (pre-fillable syringes, vials, cartridges, ampoules) to Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Yemen, Iraq, and Jordan.
Japan Container Glass Market Leaders
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
Ostsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd
Toyo Glass Co., Ltd.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Japan Container Glass Market News
- May 2022 - Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. Tokushima Vortis Co., Ltd. has announced that it will launch the “Pocari Sweat x TOKUSHIMA VORTIS Football Dream Project” in June 2022. This joint project aims to contribute to Tokushima Prefecture, the birthplace of the Otsuka Group, by focusing on improving and maintaining health through sports activities overseas, mainly in Asia and the Middle East.
- May 2021 - Nipro Corporation announced that its overseas subsidiary Nipro PharmaPackaging International N.V., acquired all issued shares in Piramida d.o.o. This company manufactures and sells pharmaceutical glass containers and has turned Piramida into a subsidiary. Through the acquisition of Piramida, Nipro can foray into new markets and expand its market share.
Japan Container Glass Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand for Environmentally Friendly and Reusable Products
5.1.2 Increased Demand in the Food and Beverage Market
5.2 Market Restrain
5.2.1 Glass Production is Energy Intensive with High Temperatures for Manufacturing
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 End-User Industry
6.1.5 Other End user verticals
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Toyo Seikan Group Holdings, Inc.
7.1.2 Nihon Yamamura Glass Co. Ltd
7.1.3 Japan Seiko Glass
7.1.4 Central Glass Co., Ltd.
7.1.5 Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
7.1.6 KOA Glass Co., LTD
7.1.7 Ishizuka Glass Co., Ltd.
7.1.8 Nipro Corporation
7.1.9 Takara Yoki Co., Ltd
7.1.10 Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Japan Container Glass Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Japan Container Glass Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Japan Container Glass Market?
The Japan Container Glass Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.2% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Japan Container Glass Market?
Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Nipro Corporation, Ostsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd, Amcor PLC, Toyo Glass Co., Ltd. are the major companies operating in Japan Container Glass Market.
Japan Container Glass Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Japan Container Glass market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Japan Container Glass analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.