India Oil & Gas Downstream Industry Overview
|CAGR:||> 2.5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Analysis
The India Oil and Gas Downstream Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 2.5% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19. Presently the market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the long term, supportive government policies, and efforts to grow the downstream sector, coupled with upcoming projects, are expected to drive the market studied. Moreover, Growing oil and gas consumption in the country is expected to be the significant driver for India Oil and Gas Downstream Market.
- On the other hand, the high capital investment required and a lack of financing due to a global economic slowdown are expected to hinder the market's growth in the coming years.
- Nevertheless, favorable policies for investment by private players in the sector are expected to provide a significant opportunity for the market players.
India Oil & Gas Downstream Industry Segments
The processes of refining, marketing, and eventually selling petroleum products are referred to as downstream. In the downstream business, a corporation refines crude oil and natural gas and markets and sells petroleum products to wholesale and retail customers. Processed natural gas is often sold directly to electric and gas utilities.
The India Oil and Gas Downstream Market is segmented by refineries and petrochemical plants. The report offers the market size and forecasts for refining capacity (million barrels per day) for all the above segments.
|Key Project Information|
|Key Project Information|
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Trends
Refineries to Dominate the Market
- The refineries sector has dominated the Indian oil and gas downstream market in recent years and is expected to continue to do so during the forecast period.
- The country's refinery capacity accounted for 5,018 thousand barrels per day in 2021. The refining throughput was 4.9% of the total world's oil refining capacity in 2021. The refinery capacity is expected to increase as various investments in the refinery sector are expected in the near future.
- For instance, in March 2022, The massive refinery project in Maharashtra gained fresh supporters. After a land acquisition dispute stopped development on the 60 million metric tonnes per annum (mmtpa) West Coast Refinery in 2018, competing proposals have now arrived before Nagpur's petroleum and natural gas ministry, in addition to the one from Raigad, near Mumbai. Thus, the completion of projects will increase the country's refining capacity, which, in turn, will drive the oil and gas downstream market in the forecast period.
- Moreover, in August 2022, Indian Oil Corp. granted a contract to Toyo Engineering India Private Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Toyo Engineering Corporation (Toyo-Japan). Ltd (IOCL) for the Engineering, Procurement, Construction, and Commissioning (EPCC) of a new 2.5 million vacuum distillation unit (VDU) that IOCL plans to build in Vadodara, Gujarat, Western India.
- Owing to several major upcoming projects for capacity expansion and capacity addition, the refineries sector is expected to dominate the market due to the forthcoming projects' expansion and construction of new refineries.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing Oil and Gas Consumption to Drive the Market
- India is a developing country and has witnessed a significant increase in its oil and gas consumption in recent years, due to the rise in the growing world population and an improvement in living standards in developing countries. Even though new and renewable energy sources are gaining popularity around the world, petroleum fuel remains a major energy source.
- Oil consumption in the country grew by over 3.8% in 2021, from 4,701 thousand barrels daily in 2020 to 4,878 thousand barrels daily in 2021. Gas consumption in the country accounted for 62.2 billion cubic meters in 2021, with an annual growth rate of 3.1%.
- The rapid increase in demand for oil and gas is expected to go on during the forecast period and even beyond, fueled by an increased economy, industrial sector, and commercial sector.
- The increasing demand for oil and gas in the country has led to significant investments by private players like Nayara Energy, Reliance Industries Limited, and the proposed investment by Saudi Arabian Oil Co. The share of private players in the country’s refining capacity is expected to rise during the forecast period.
- All of the above factors combined are expected to help drive the India oil and gas downstream market during the forecast period.
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Competitor Analysis
The India Oil and Gas Downstream Market is consolidated. Some of the key players ( not in a particular order ) are Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, Reliance Industries Limited, and Nayara Energy Limited, amongst others.
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Top Players
Indian Oil Corporation Limited
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
Reliance Industries Limited
Nayara Energy Limited
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Recent Developments
September 2022: Reliance Industries announced during the annual general meeting that the company will extend its polyester chain capacity at Dahej, Gujarat state, by adding 3 million mt/year of purified terephthalic acid capacity and 1 million mt/year of polyethylene terephthalate capacity by 2026.
June 2022: The government authorized companies such as ONGC and Vedanta to sell locally produced crude oil to any Indian refinery for conversion into fuel like gasoline and diesel. With this decision, ONGC will be able to auction its 13-14 million tonnes of crude oil produced from the Mumbai High field to any refiner, including private sector Reliance Industries Ltd and Rosneft-backed Nayara Energy.
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Refining Capacity and Forecast in million barrels per day, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Market Overview
5.1.2 Key Project Information
5.2 Petrochemical Pants
5.2.1 Market Overview
5.2.2 Key Project Information
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Indian Oil Corporation Limited
6.3.2 Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
6.3.3 Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
6.3.4 Reliance Industries Limited
6.3.5 Haldia Petrochemicals Ltd.
6.3.6 GAIL (India) Limited
6.3.7 Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
6.3.8 Nayara Energy Limited
6.3.9 Oman Oil Company
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
India Oil & Gas Downstream Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The India Oil and Gas Downstream Market market is studied from 2019 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of India Oil and Gas Downstream Market?
The India Oil and Gas Downstream Market is growing at a CAGR of >2.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in India Oil and Gas Downstream Market?
Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited, Reliance Industries Limited, Nayara Energy Limited are the major companies operating in India Oil and Gas Downstream Market.
India Oil and Gas Downstream Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the India Oil and Gas Downstream sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The India Oil and Gas Downstream research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the India Oil and Gas Downstream report PDF.