The global market for high-performance trucks is growing at a CAGR of 5.83% during the forecast period. The growth is mainly due to the increasing demand for high-performance commercial vehicles from the manufacturing and industrial sectors. Pickup trucks have been on the market for more than a century but were never meant to be high-performance vehicles. The primary characteristics of a pickup are large cargo capacities, heavy-duty components, and prolific ground clearance. The demand for downsized engines, along with the rampant use of additional powertrain to boost the engine, has brought about the evolution of high-performance trucks in the recent years.
Chevy’s Silverado is one of the standout examples exhibiting the degree of change pickups have undergone in the past five years. The vehicle has a luxurious interior, along with a towing capacity of 12,000 pounds, with more than 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet torque. The vehicle, with an automatic transmission of V8, can go from zero to 60 in a mere 5.7 seconds. Apart from Chevrolet, Dodge is also one of the very few companies who are intricately involved in the manufacturing of high-performance trucks in North America and Europe and has generated a huge portfolio of high-performance vehicles, especially in the last 5 years.
Source: OICA, Mordor Intelligence Analysis
Sports Segment to Register the Highest Growth
The sports segment has also received huge traction in the market with increased emphasis on performance and styling from racing enthusiasts. The trucks usually have customized components like fine-tuned chassis, coupled with well-designed supercharger and intercooler package. The market for high-performance sports trucks is expected to grow at a CAGR of around 12.28% during the forecast period.
TRD, a concept sports truck, was modified by Toyota with internal engine components of new pistons, connecting rods, camshafts and other equipment to provide 400 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. torque. This configuration provides a boost of over 160 horsepower and 80 lb.-ft. torque. The engine is coupled to the six-speed manual transmission, using a special billet steel flywheel, 30% lighter than the conventional ones. In addition, a version of the Dodge Ram truck features dual racing stripes, performance engine tuning and 17-inch wheels suited for racing tracks. The 17-inch wheels are custom aluminum models that are fitted with ultra-high performance tires. The 5.9L V8 engine boasts an additional 10 horsepower for a 245 hp rating.
Increasing Industrial Applications to Push the Market Growth
The increasing demand for performance trucks in industrial applications has also helped to increase imports significantly. The commercial trucks are also getting modified for the internal engine components with new pistons, connecting rods, camshafts and other equipment to provide enhanced performance and adequate boost. The long-haul trucks are expected to account for the highest growth in the high-performance truck segment in the global market. However, stagnancy in the construction and mining activities in Latin American as well as European countries has been a cause of concern in the adoption of these trucks.
Key Developments in the Market:
- February 2018: DEVOLRO Announces Launch of its Custom Tuning Portfolio for the Shelby Ford F-150.
- March 2018: Lighter 2019 Chevy Silverado Offers Duramax 3.0L Diesel.
Key Players: Arden, Caterpillar, Chevrolet, Daimler, Dodge, Ford, GMC, Isuzu, Iveco, MAN, Nissan, TATA, Toyota, and Volvo, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase the Report:
- The report analyses how the increasing government regulations will drive the market
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- Study on the truck type that is expected to dominate the market
- Study on the regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report:
- This report can be customized to meet the desired requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure that you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Technological Trends
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Technology Trends
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Framework
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of the Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Competitive Rivalry
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Increase of Internal and Global Business in Countries all Over the World
5.1.2 Capable to Carry Heavy Industrial Goods
5.2.1 High Gasoline/Diesel Consumption
5.3.1 Emerging Economies e.g. India and China
6. High-performance Trucks Market Segmentation, by Transmission Type (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
6.2 Automatic Manual Transmission (AMT)
7. High-performance Trucks Market Segmentation, By Vehicle Type (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
7.1 Conventional Pickup Trucks
7.3 Sport Trucks
8. High-performance Trucks Market Segmentation, By Engine Type (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
8.1 Conventional Gasoline
8.2 Supercharged Gasoline
8.3 Supercharged/Turbocharged Diesel
8.4 Conventional Diesel
9. High-performance Trucks Market Segmentation, by Geography (Market Size, Growth, and Forecast)
9.1. North America
9.1.1 The United States
9.1.4 Rest of North America
9.2.4. Rest of Asia-Pacific
9.3.2. United Kingdom
9.3.4. Rest of Europe
9.4. South America
9.4.3. Rest of South America
9.5 Middle East & Africa
9.5.1 Saudi Arabia
9.5.3 South Africa
9.5.4 Rest of Middle East & Africa
10. Competitive Landscape
10.2 Market Share Analysis**
11. Company Profiles
11.4 Daimler Trucks
11.6 Ford Motor Company
11.14 Volvo Trucks
12. Future Outlook of the Market
**Subject to Availability on Public Domain