Europe Power Market Size
|Study Period:||2017- 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe Power Market Analysis
The Europe Power Market size is expected to grow from 1,742.94 gigawatt in 2022 to 2,468.72 gigawatt by 2028, at a CAGR of 5.91% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
COVID-19 negatively impacted the market in 2020. Presently the market has reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, the increasing degree of urbanization and power demand is expected to drive the market.
- On the other hand, decreased financial support and the blacklisting of countries like Bulgaria by various financial institutions will likely hinder market growth.
- Nevertheless, the ambitious goals set by the European Union for reducing its carbon emissions are expected to create enormous opportunities in the renewable energy segment for the Europe Power Market.
- Germany is expected to have significant growth during the forecasted period due to increasing power demand and renewable sources' integration into the power mix.
Europe Power Industry Segmentation
Power generation is the generation of electricity through various primary sources such as coal, hydro, solar, thermal, etc. In utilities, it’s a step prior to its delivery to end users. Transmission and distribution take place after the process.Under this, the power generated is distributed via high-voltage lines (transmission lines) and low-voltage lines (distribution lines) as per the requirements of the end user.
The European power market is segmented by power generation, power transmission and distribution, and geography. By power generation, the market is segmented into thermal, hydroelectric, renewable, and other types. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the power market across major countries (Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Italy, and the Rest of Europe) in the region. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done based on installed capacity in gigawatts (GW).
|The United Kingdom|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe Power Market Trends
Renewables is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The renewable energy segment in Europe mainly consists of wind, solar, biomass, and other renewable sources, excluding hydropower. Renewable power generation accounts for a significant share of total power generation. As of 2022, Europe had 708.58 GW of renewable energy installed capacity. The share of renewable energy grew by almost 8.7% in comparison to 2021.
- According to the European Environment Agency (EEA), in 2022, 22% of the energy consumed in Europe was generated from renewable sources. The European Commission has also set an ambitious target of 40% energy generated from renewable sources by 2030 to pave the way for climate neutrality by 2050.
- Renewable energy in the European region has grown continuously on account of its role in reducing air pollution. Moreover, power plants support renewable energy growth in the region to fill the demand gap generated by the decommissioning of coal.
- Moreover, in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, many European Union countries announced plans to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy sources to reduce their dependence on Russian natural gas imports. Germany, the Netherlands, and Portugal have either increased their renewable energy ambitions or moved their initial targets earlier.
- Wind and solar PV power are expected to drive strong growth in renewable energy. Solar and wind are expected to produce more than 50% of the total generation in Germany and the United Kingdom by 2030.
- For instance, in January 2022, the UK government announced more than USD 49 million of public and private funding to advance research and development in floating offshore wind projects. The government planned to invest USD 25.6 million in 11 projects as part of the Floating Offshore Wind Demonstration Program.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Germany is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- In recent years, the German power market has grown significantly. This is mainly because of Germany's ambitious energy transition project. Greenhouse gas emissions should be cut by at least 80% (compared to 1990 levels) by 2050. Germany will gradually phase out all its nuclear power plants by 2023, revolutionizing its energy infrastructure.
- Moreover, the electricity demand in the country has been on the rise due to the growing population and infrastructure development activities. In 2021, Germany generated 584.5 terawatt-hours of electricity, compared to 573.6 terawatt-hours in 2020, registering a growth rate of 2.2%.
- Additionally, Germany is already at the forefront of renewable energy development. The German government has set a target for renewables to meet 80% of the electricity demand in the country by 2030. Solar power and onshore- and offshore-wind power will be the main pillars of renewable energy production.
- Furthermore, as of January 2023, solar rooftop PVs are expected to become mandatory for rooftop renovations in the country for existing buildings to be certified as climate neutral by 2040 in the North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW) province. Also, other German states are expected to follow similar regulations in a short period, which may directly aid the solar PV rooftop installation market.
- Moreover, the government has also launched various financial incentives to promote rooftop solar energy in the country. For instance, in July 2022, Germany's Bundestag approved new energy regulations that will lead to some increases in solar feed-in tariffs. For PV systems up to 10 kW, the price will be raised from USD 0.0707/kWh to USD 0.08778/kWh. Those who elect not to use any of the electricity themselves will receive the full feed-in bonus of USD 0.049/kWh. The combined remuneration is USD 0.136/kWh.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Power Industry Overview
Europe's power market is fragmented. A few major key players in this market (in no particular order) include Statkraft AS, Enel Green Power SpA, National Grid PLC, Electricite de France SA, and Agder Energi SA., among others.
Europe Power Market Leaders
Enel Green Power S.p.A
National Grid plc
Agder Energi SA
Electricite de France SA
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Power Market News
- March 2023: EDF signed a letter of intent (LOI) with Ansaldo Energia, Ansaldo Nucleare, and Edison to develop small modular reactors (SMRs) in Europe. Through the project, the partners are required to determine the potential for the development and execution of new nuclear power in Italy. The plans are casting a glance at the 2050 carbon-neutrality goals set by the European region. EDF is already involved in three nuclear reactors in Italy: the Nuward SMR, the mid-size EPR 1200 reactor, and the large-size EPR reactor.
- September 2022: The government of Germany announced the tenders for 1.5 GW of solar energy. The tenders have been launched to accelerate the growth of solar energy in the country. As per the announcement, the bidders were to submit their plans by January 2023.
- April 2022: General Electric announced its new onshore project in Spain to install and supply 15 wind turbines at an array of wind farms near Miranda de Arga and Berbinzana municipalities in the Navarre region of Spain. It is anticipated that the project will be completed in 2023.
Europe Power Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Installed Power Capacity and Forecast in GW, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Power Generation
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2 Power Transmission & Distribution
5.3.4 The United Kingdom
5.3.6 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Statkraft AS
6.3.2 Enel Green Power SpA
6.3.3 National Grid plc
6.3.4 Electricite de France SA
6.3.5 Agder Energi SA
6.3.6 Iberdrola SA
6.3.7 Energi Teknikk AS
6.3.8 Rainpower Holding AS
6.3.9 SN Power AS
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Power Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Power Market is studied from 2017- 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Power Market?
The Europe Power Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.91% over the next 5 years.
What is Europe Power Market size?
The Europe Power Market is expected to reach 2,322.82 gigawatt in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 5.91% to reach 2468.72 gigawatt by 2028.
Who are the key players in Europe Power Market?
Statkraft AS, Enel Green Power S.p.A, National Grid plc, Agder Energi SA, Electricite de France SA are the major companies operating in Europe Power Market.
Europe Power Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Power market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Power analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.