Digital Lending Market Size
|Market Size (2023)||USD 405.11 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 710.76 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||11.90 %|
|Fastest Growing Market||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market||North America|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Digital Lending Market Analysis
The Digital Lending Market size is expected to grow from USD 405.11 billion in 2023 to USD 710.76 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 11.90% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, SMEs across the globe faced challenges raising funds during the crisis to keep their businesses operating.
- Digital Lending is expected to find several opportunities for growth and adoption during the pandemic, especially among SMEs. According to EY Global Banking Outlook this year, 63% of SMEs still prefer traditional banks for their financial needs, whereas 56% use a banking and payments FinTech service due to increasing FinTech lenders.
- The lending landscape has changed drastically over the years due to the rapid adoption of digitization in the BFSI industry. The traditional form of lending still prevails in many parts of the world. However, the benefits provided by digital solution providers are increasingly paving the way for adopting digital lending solutions and services across enterprises.
- Another major factor driving the growth of the market studied is the changing consumer expectation and behavior due to the several benefits of digitizing banking and financial services. The customers may range from diversified backgrounds and may require the loan for various purposes ranging from personal loans to SME finance and home loans, amongst many others. According to a survey by IDC commissioned by Razorpay, each SME spends 816 hours and Rs 32 lakh on banking on an average per year.
- Further, the adoption of several technological advancements, such as the proliferation of smartphones, has led to an increase in the adoption of digital banking across several end-user verticals. Also, technologies like Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Cloud Computing benefit banks and fintech as they can process vast amounts of customer information. This data and information are then compared to obtain results about timely services/solutions that customers want, which has aided in developing customer relations.
- Aire, Kabbage, and Kasisto are some of the most prominent financial sector startups that have fully invested in AI. For instance, Kabbage uses AI algorithms that assess all risks of lending money to a particular customer, allowing managers of the company to give loans in minimal time. The demand for personalization of their needs among consumers in the fintech and banking companies has further strengthened the demand for AI.
Digital Lending Market Trends
Increasing Number of Potential Loan Purchasers with Digital Behavior
- The latest Expectations & Experiences consumer trends survey from Fiserv, Inc., a leading global provider of financial services technology solutions, states that almost two-thirds of people who have applied for loans in the past two years now do so either partially or fully online, representing a significant increase from last year. A central portion of this growth is due to the increasing usage of smartphones and tablets.
- Also, Digital lending startups are started giving out loans for education and professional courses, expanding from mainly focusing on personal loans and consumer lending space. For instance, Bengaluru-based Zest Money is betting big on lending for professional education purposes. It has already partnered with players, like Upgrade, NMIMS, Great Learning, Acadgild, and Edureka, among others, to provide funds to entry- or mid-level executives wanting to acquire new skill sets.
- Millennials with a few years of work experience and no credit history (or the new-to-credit segment) find their loans either unapproved or come at high-interest rates. Moreover, in traditional banks, the time to decide for small businesses and corporate lending averages between three and five weeks; the average time to cash is nearly three months. Such challenges are driving customers' digital behavior to mobile devices to access digital lending applications.
- Government regulations also augment the increase in digital behavior. For instance, in January this year, the Reserve Bank of India announced a working group (WG) on digital lending through online platforms and mobile apps. The committee will be responsible for suggesting specific regulatory measures. The move is the latest in the central bank’s attempt to tackle fly-by-night lending apps offering various digital loans to underserved customers. Of late, these platforms have been coming under the regulator’s glare for adopting coercive means of loan recovery.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-pacific is Expected to Exhibit a Significant Growth Rate
- Digital lending has been available to credit unions for quite some time, but with new emerging technologies and the fast-paced nature of consumer lending, it is more important than ever that digital lending offers members more than a paperless process. For instance, In August this year, RBI Notifies Digital Lending Guidelines to banks and non-banking finance companies (NBFCs) that disbursement loans through digital lending platforms primarily relate to the unbridled engagement of third parties, misselling, breach of data privacy, unfair business conduct, charging of exorbitant interest rates, and unethical recovery practices.
- China’s online lending sector has seen rapid growth in the past decade owing to a lack of effective regulations, increasing the number of players in the market studied. However, According to data from the People’s Bank of China, outstanding consumer loans at the nation’s licensed financial institutions stood at 9 trillion yuan as of May, making up less than 5 percent of the country’s total outstanding loans of 200 trillion yuan.
- The rapid adoption of smartphones, internet access, and a shift toward consumerism in India helped fuel the growth of digital lending enterprises. There are currently 338 online lending start-ups in India trying to reduce the gap between lenders and creditors through a seamless process.
- Moreover, the government of Japan is launching programs to inculcate cashless behaviors in citizens. The government launched an initiative to increase cashless payments to 40% by 2025. With the consumption tax increase from 8% to 10% on October 1, 2019, several discount schemes were implemented, which subsidized the installation of cashless payment terminals for merchants and provided 2% or 5% discounts for consumers when purchasing from registered SMEs or franchise stores.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Digital Lending Industry Overview
The competitive landscape of the Digital Lending Market is fragmented owing to the presence of several solution providers, with none of them holding a majority share in the market. The market players such as Funding Circle Limited, On Deck Capital Inc., Prosper Marketplace, Inc., LendInvest Limited, and Bizfi LLCare, are making several innovations to improvise their offerings and gain maximum market traction. The emerging players in the market are strategically raising funds to provide innovative and technologically integrated solutions. The market players are also viewing strategic collaborations as a lucrative path toward growth.
- July 2022 - M2P Fintech acquires Finflux to boost digital lending capabilities. The acquisition will allow it to improve workflow automation and roll out support for lending products to serve current customers more efficiently by reaching a wider market, expanding across geographies, and building new technology product experiences at a blitz.
- October 2022 - Rapid Finance Acquires Digital Lending Technology Provider, Thrive. This acquisition will support the growing market need for fast, simple, and trusted loan options, modernizing business finance and generating value for clients and their businesses.
Digital Lending Market Leaders
Funding Circle Limited (Funding Circle Holdings PLC)
On Deck Capital Inc.
Prosper Marketplace, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Digital Lending Market News
- April 2022 - Equifax and Fiserv are partnering to deliver data-driven insights to the organizations needed to succeed in a digital economy. The companies are collaborating on new offerings that deliver a more holistic picture of businesses and their data and enable financial institutions and businesses of all sizes to embrace the power of real-time data insights.
- April 2022 - Fiserv Completes Acquisition of Finxact.Together with Finxact, Fiserv will accelerate the ability for fintech and financial institutions to deliver differentiated digital banking experiences to its customers to create value for clients.
Digital Lending Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Stakeholder Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4 Important Touchpoints of Potential Loan Purchasers
4.5 Impact of COVID-19 on the Digital Lending and Allied Markets
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing Number of Potential Loan Purchasers with Digital Behavior
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Security concerns
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
184.108.40.206 Business Digital Lending Market Dynamics
220.127.116.11 Business Digital Lending Ecosystem (including both Startups and Incumbents)
6.1.2 By Consumer
18.104.22.168 Consumer Digital Lending Market Dynamics
22.214.171.124 Consumer Digital Lending Models (Payday Lenders, Peer-to-peer Loans, Personal Loans, Auto Loans, and Student Loans)
126.96.36.199 Consumer Digital Lending Ecosystem (including both Startups and Incumbents)
6.2 By Geography
6.2.1 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
6.2.3 Asia Pacific
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.2.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Funding Circle Limited (Funding Circle Holdings PLC)
7.1.2 Bizfi LLC
7.1.3 On Deck Capital Inc.
7.1.4 Prosper Marketplace Inc.
7.1.5 LendInvest Limited
7.1.6 LendingClub Corp.
7.1.7 Zopa Limited
7.1.8 Social Finance Inc.
7.1.9 Upstart Network Inc.
7.1.10 Kiva Microfunds
7.1.11 Kabbage Inc.
7.1.12 CAN Capital Inc.
7.1.13 Lendingtree Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7.2 Additional Company Profiles
7.2.1 Kaspi Bank JSC
7.2.2 Klarna Bank AB
7.2.3 Ferratum Oyj
7.2.4 Provident Bank (Provident Financial Services Inc.)
7.2.5 International Personal Finance PLC (IPF)
7.2.9 CapFloat Financial Services Private Limited
7.2.10 Transactree Technologies Private Limited (LendBox)
7.2.13 Decimal Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS AND MARKET OPPORTUNITIES
Digital Lending Market Research FAQs
How big is the Digital Lending Market?
The Digital Lending Market size is expected to reach USD 405.11 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 11.90% to reach USD 710.76 billion by 2028.
What is the current Digital Lending Market size?
In 2023, the Digital Lending Market size is expected to reach USD 405.11 billion.
Who are the key players in Digital Lending Market?
Funding Circle Limited (Funding Circle Holdings PLC), On Deck Capital Inc., Prosper Marketplace, Inc., LendInvest Limited and Bizfi LLC are the major companies operating in the Digital Lending Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Digital Lending Market?
Asia Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2023-2028).
Which region has the biggest share in Digital Lending Market?
In 2023, the North America accounts for the largest market share in the Digital Lending Market.
Digital Lending Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Digital Lending market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Digital Lending analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.