Denmark Mobile Payments Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Denmark Mobile Payments Market Analysis
The Denmark mobile payments market is anticipated to register a CAGR of 22.9% from 2022 to 2027. The market comprises players offering mobile applications used for making payments. Denmark is a mature market for mobile payments, as the country for one of the earliest adopters to introduce mobile payments.
- The internet is evolving with more e-commerce platforms coming into existence. The ecosystem is developed through joint venturing between financial banks, payment gateways, and service providers for the App, making way for mobile payments. The introduction of NFC as a wearables and incorporation option and other technologies into the connected devices has considerably eased the mode of payment. The inclusion of virtual assistants and mobile payment app compatibility with them is also mostly end-to-end encrypted to provide state-of-the-art security and reliability.
- However, high internet cost is leading to decreased mobile payment use. According to Proofpoint, The price of Internet 8 Mbps (1 month) in Copenhagen is kr147. Thus, it creates a serious need for cost cuts in internet prices to increase access to be offered by mobile payments companies, ensuring safe and protected payments.
- COVID-19 pandemic proved to provide a boost for mobile payments. In Denmark, users were aware of avoiding payment modes, including physical contact with the commonly touched points in the general environment. The contactless payment offered by mobile payments helped make payments even during the lockdowns. Many online e-commerce platforms enabled mobile payments during the pandemic, which gave it a great push to become the new norm.
Denmark Mobile Payments Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Denmark Mobile Payments Market according to our research experts:
High internet penetration and high smartphone usage encourages mobile-commerce
- As per the JP Morgan report series, Denmark has the highest smartphone penetration of all European countries, at 78.2%. The mobile commerce market is worth €4.9 billion in Denmark, but only 32%of sales are completed on a mobile device, and consumers still associate e-commerce with PC. As merchants decrease the gap between smartphone ownership and smartphone e-commerce, growth in the sector is expected to accelerate, expanding at an expected compound annual growth rate of 16.8% to become a €9.1 billion market by 2021.
- Keeping this potential growth in mind, now e-commerce sites are optimized for smartphones, helping capture impulse purchases, which are common in the country, via smartphone. For instance, common reasons cited for choosing to use a smartphone to buy an item include it being the closest available shopping device at the desired point of sale, being on an app at the end of buying, or opening up an offer on a smartphone e-mail and following through on this to complete the transaction.
- Further, Improved internet access should help the e-commerce market expand at its expected compound annual growth rate of 10.5% up to 2021. Online e-commerce merchants are better positioned than physical sellers trying to take a share of this growth as they now have more than 50% of the Danish e-commerce market, despite domestic omnichannel retailers investing in their e-commerce channels.
- Denmark's e-commerce market is also changing its course in the increasingly outward-looking nature of its shoppers. International e-commerce brands are swiftly gaining ground on local firms, which previously dominated most sales. In Denmark, German fashion platform Zalando is the most-used e-commerce site in the country and, in 2017, overtook former favorite Swedish electronics firm, Elgiganten. These stores' offerings indicate where Danish consumer interest lies: clothing and footwear are among the most popular shopping categories online, as are electronics.
Remote Mobile Payments would grow at higher pace.
- Denmark's business-to-consumer e-commerce value stands at €15.4 billion, accounting for a 2.9% slice of the European e-commerce sector. While it is a small market, Denmark stands out for consistently posting double-digit e-commerce growth in recent years.
- With Danes spending over 50% more online each year than the average European - €3,345 versus €2,186 makes the country a nation of high spenders. Basket spending is boosted by costly travel expenses such as holidays and flights being among the most popular items to buy online, with 73% of all online shoppers spending in this segment.
- Danish shoppers have access to high-speed internet so that e-commerce sellers can offer high-functionality websites with strong product imagery, video, and other interfaces without fear of poor loading speeds. Denmark has a progressive regulatory regime that has helped boost access to fiber networks, leading to the country being one of the highest broadband penetration rates in the world. Usage is also growing. In 2021, 96% of Danes accessed the internet daily, compared with 89% in 2016.
Denmark Mobile Payments Industry Overview
Denmark's mobile payments market is moderately fragmented and is highly competitive since payments through mobile, Mobile POS, and web portals are gaining popularity fast. The brands are focusing on the compatibility of their products with wearables and utilizing technologies to stress ease of use. Companies are also collaborating with other vendors and e-commerce platforms to boost favorability in the competitive market space.
- October 2021 - PayPal Holdings Inc. pitched Zettle Terminal, a mobile device that provides contactless payments using mobile phones or cards with Tap-to-Pay technology. The device focuses on small businesses to lower point of sale (POS). The device is a touchscreen with Wi-Fi connectivity and an in-built SIM card feature. The mobile device can be combined with a compact printing dock, and small businesses can buy the combined bundle.
Denmark Mobile Payments Market Leaders
Google LLC (Google Pay)
Samsung Electronics (Samsung pay)
PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A.
Amazon Payments, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Denmark Mobile Payments Market News
- June 2022: After the approval by Finance Denmark, the Danish financial services central organization, the plan would see P27 Nordic Payments become the new national clearinghouse in Denmark for traditional and smart payments for businesses and private consumers. P27 could replace multiple national clearing systems in Nordics, as it promises to make cross-border payments as easy as sending a text message. P27 Nordic Payments is owned by the Nordic region's commercial banks - Danske Bank, Svenska Handelsbanken, Nordea, OP Financial Group, SEB, and Swedbank.
- May 2022 - Google announced Tap to Pay feature from the smartphone, wherever Google Pay is acceptable as a mode of payment. Google Wallet stores payment and non-payment assets in a virtual cloud-based space. The payment assets would include credit cards, debit cards, etc. The app would be available in 39 markets worldwide, including Denmark.
Denmark Mobile Payments Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Sizing and Estimates of Denmark Mobile Payments Market
4.3 Industry Attractiveness-Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 High internet penetration and High smartphone usage encourages mobile-commerce
5.1.2 Growing use of Digital wallet use in E-commerce
5.1.3 Government initiatives engenders trust online
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 High internet cost
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.3.1 Introduction of Multiple Factor Authentication Create Growth Opportunities
5.4 Key Regulations and Standards in the Mobile Payments Industry
5.5 Analysis of Business Models in the Industry
5.6 Analysis of the Increasing Market Penetration of Mobile Wallets
5.7 Analysis on Enabling Technologies (Coverage to include NFC, QR, etc.)
5.8 Commentary on the growth of Mobile Commerce and its influence on the Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type (Market share in percentage based on relative adoption)
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Apple Inc. (Apple Pay)
7.1.2 Google LLC (Google pay)
7.1.3 Samsung Electronics (Samsung Pay)
7.1.4 Paypal Inc.
7.1.5 Amazon Payments, Inc.
7.1.6 MobilePay A/S
7.1.7 Nets Denmark A/S (Dankort App)
7.1.8 Bancore A/S
7.1.9 Pleo Technologies Ltd
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
Denmark Mobile Payments Market Research FAQs
What is the current Denmark Mobile Payments Market size?
The Denmark Mobile Payments Market is projected to register a CAGR of 22.90% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Denmark Mobile Payments Market?
Apple Inc., Google LLC (Google Pay), Samsung Electronics (Samsung pay), PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. and Amazon Payments, Inc. are the major companies operating in the Denmark Mobile Payments Market.
What years does this Denmark Mobile Payments Market cover?
The report covers the Denmark Mobile Payments Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Denmark Mobile Payments Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Denmark Mobile Payments Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Denmark Mobile Payments market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Denmark Mobile Payments analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.