|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The chloromethane market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Owing to the pandemic scenario, several countries around the world went into lockdown to curb the spreading of the virus. The supply and demand chain was completely disrupted, which impacted the demand for chloromethane from various applications such as agriculture, personal care, chemicals, and other applications. However, the condition is expected to recover in 2021, which is expected to benefit the market during the forecast period.
- Over the short term, increasing usage of silicone in various end-user industries and growing demand from the pharmaceutical and personal care industries are driving the market growth.
- On the flip side, stringent regulations on chloromethane and the negative impact of the COVID-19 pandemic are the major restraints, which are expected to hinder the growth of the market.
- Ongoing research and development in the production of chloromethane are expected to offer various lucrative opportunities for market growth.
- By application, the silicones segment is expected to dominate the market owing to the increase in the usage of silicone elastomers in the construction and automotive industries.
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the chloromethane market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries such as China, India, and Japan.
Scope of the Report
Chloromethane, also called methyl chloride, is a chemical compound of the group of organic compounds called haloalkanes. The chloromethane market is segmented by product type, application, and geography. By product type, market is segmented into methylene chloride, methyl chloride, carbon tetrachloride, and chloroform. By application, market is segmented into silicones, agriculture chemicals, chemical intermediate, pharmaceutical, personal care, and other applications. The report also offers market size and forecasts for 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of revenue (USD million).
Key Market Trends
Increasing Usage of Silicone in Various End-user Industries
- A major part of the chloromethane produced is used as feedstock in the manufacturing of chemical intermediates like methyl chlorosilanes. These methyl chlorosilanes are employed in the production of silicone fluids.
- Silicone fluids made using chloromethane are used in a broad range of products, such as processing aids (antifoaming agents, release agents, and light-duty lubricants) and specialty chemicals for consumer products (cosmetics, furniture polishes, auto polishes, and paper coatings).
- Silicone resins are used in water-repellent resins, coatings, molding resins, electrical insulation, laminating resins, etc.
- Properties, such as solubility in organic solvents, water-repellence, and flexibility, make silicones a better material of choice as intermediates.
- Silicone elastomers are used in the construction industry as adhesives and sealants, in automotive applications, like wire and cable insulation, and surgical and other medical applications.
- Moreover, in the construction industry, silicones are used in structural glazing and weatherproofing while contributing to the energy efficiency of buildings. They also help improve in-shop productivity, reduce material waste, extend building life, and reduce lifecycle costs.
- According to Statista Market Forecast, the global construction industry spending was estimated at USD 12 trillion in 2019. It is expected to grow three percent per annum and reach USD 19.2 trillion by 2035. This is expected to augment the market demand over the forecast period.
- The aforementioned factors are expected to continue to drive the consumption of silicones in the coming years, thus driving the market for chloromethane.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market for chloromethane during the forecast period. In countries like China, India, Japan, and South Korea, owing to the increasing demand from various end-user industries, the demand for chloromethane has been increasing in the region.
- China is the second-largest market for pharmaceuticals globally. The market for pharmaceuticals is emerging rapidly, owing to the growing middle-class and aging society present in the country, rising incomes, and increasing urbanization. The pharmaceutical sales of the country are expected to reach up to USD 175 billion by 2022. This is expected to boost the growth of chloromethanes used in pharmaceutical applications.
- In addition, the Chinese government promulgated Healthy China 2030, which is a blueprint that outlines its ongoing intents to prioritize health as a precondition for sustained social and economic development.
- Furthermore, with growing investments and the construction activities in the country, the demand for silicones is projected to grow during the forecast period. According to the National Bureau of Statistics of China, the revenue generated by the Chinese construction industry has increased from CNY 17.67 trillion in 2014 to CNY 24.84 trillion in 2019.
- China is investing USD 1.43 trillion in the next five years till 2025 in major construction projects. According to National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), the Shanghai plan includes the investment of USD 38.7 billion in the next three years, whereas Guangzhou signed 16 new infrastructure projects with an investment of USD 8.09 billion.
- The Indian pharmaceutical sector is expected to grow to USD 100 billion, while the medical device market is expected to grow by USD 25 billion by 2025. Pharmaceutical exports from India were valued at USD 20.70 billion in 2020. Pharmaceutical exports include bulk drugs, intermediates, drug formulations, and biologicals, among other products.
- In India, growing consumerism is stimulating the demand for personal care products, which, in turn, is driving the market's demand in the country. According to the India Brand Equity Foundation, the beauty, cosmetic, and grooming market is expected to reach USD 20 billion by 2025.
- Moreover, the Indian government has been actively boosting housing construction, as it aims to provide homes to about 1.3 billion people. The country is likely to witness around USD 1.3 trillion of investment in housing over the next seven years. Additionally, it is likely to witness the construction of 60 million new homes in the country.
- The availability of affordable housing in the country is expected to rise by around 70% by 2024. By 2022, India is expected to contribute about USD 640 billion to the construction industry due to government initiatives in infrastructure development and affordable housing, such as housing to all, smart city plans, etc. The growing construction activities in the country are driving the demand for silicones in the country, which, in turn, may drive the chloromethane market over the forecast period.
- The aforementioned factors, coupled with government support, are contributing to the increasing demand for chloromethanes during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The chloromethane market is consolidated, with top players accounting for a major share of the market. Some of the key companies in the market include Gujarat Alkalies and Chemical Limited, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, AGC Chemicals, Nouryon, and KEM ONE.
- In April 2019, Nouryon announced that it would start construction in May on a project to further increase the capacity for chloromethanes at its site in Frankfurt, Germany, supporting growing global customer demand. The expansion was expected to be completed in 2020.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Increasing Usage of Silicone in Various End-user Industries
4.1.2 Growing Growing Demand from the Pharmaceutical and Personal Care Industries
4.2.1 Stringent Regulations on Chloromethane
4.2.2 Negative Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Product Type
5.1.1 Methyl Chloride
5.1.2 Methylene Chloride
5.1.3 Carbon Tetrachloride
5.2.2 Agriculture Chemicals
5.2.4 Chemical Intermediate
5.2.5 Personal Care
5.2.6 Other Applications
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 Saudi Arabia
184.108.40.206 South Africa
220.127.116.11 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 AGC Chemicals
6.4.2 Gujarat Alkalies and Chemical Limited
6.4.3 Gujarat Fluorochemicals Limited
6.4.4 KEM ONE
6.4.5 Merck KGaA
6.4.7 Occidental Petroleum Corporation
6.4.8 Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.9 The Sanmar Group
6.4.10 Tokuyama Corporation
6.4.11 Tokyo Chemical Industry Co. Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Ongoing Research and Development in the Production of Chloromethane
7.2 Other Opportunities
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Chloromethane Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Chloromethane Market?
The Chloromethane Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Chloromethane Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Chloromethane Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Chloromethane Market?
Occidental Petroleum Corporation, AGC Chemicals, KEM ONE, Gujarat Alkalies and Chemical Limited, Nouryon are the major companies operating in Chloromethane Market.