UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Size (2023)||USD 0.85 Billion|
|Market Size (2028)||USD 1.05 Billion|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||4.20 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market Analysis
The United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market size is expected to grow from USD 0.85 billion in 2023 to USD 1.05 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 4.20% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- The rise in the adoption of biopesticides and favorable government policies supporting the development of new innovative crop protection chemicals are some factors driving the market growth for United Kingdom crop protection chemicals. The growing demand for food safety and quality, increasing consumer demand for organic products, and favorable government policies promoting biocontrol products are some factors driving biopesticides' market growth. The United Kingdom is one of the pioneers of biopesticide regulations in Europe and has hence implemented several measures to support the commercialization of biopesticide products in the country.
- Crops like oats, wheat, and barley are largely grown in the United Kingdom. The most extensively used fungicide formulations in the United Kingdom include chlorothalonil, epoxiconazole, prothioconazole/tebuconazole, and tebuconazole. Septoria tritici is UK wheat's most damaging foliar disease, causing yield losses that can range from around 30 to 50% in high-pressure seasons. To mitigate the yield loss, many wheat growers have increased the use of fungicides in their crops.
- There has been a robust increase in the demand for new crop protection products by customers to obtain the desired result. The demand for new products is diversified. Customers purchase products based on their needs, which are more specific in terms of the composition of the ingredients and sometimes even tailored to address a particular issue. To cater to the demand for various products, market players are manufacturing new, innovative, and tailor-made products. These products aim to fulfill the specific requirements of the hour. Many companies are also actively engaged in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of their synthetic chemical products.
During 2022, several new products were launched by many major market players. Bayer CropScience ag, for example, will launch TriVolt herbicide in March 2022. In addition, BASF SE introduced two new products in 2022: Luximo and Tevos. Tevos contains the active ingredients Xemium (fluxapyroxad), BASF's best-in-class SDHI, and F500 (pyraclostrobin), the best strobilurin for barley. Hence, owing to the growing demand for food, the rise in the adoption of biopesticides, and favorable government policies, the market will likely grow rapidly.
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Industry Segmentation
Crop protection chemicals constitute a class of agrochemicals used for preventing the destruction of crops by insect pests, diseases, weeds, and other pests. The United Kingdom crop protection chemicals market is segmented by origin (synthetic and biobased), type (herbicide, fungicide, insecticide, and other types), and application (grains and cereals, pulses and oilseeds, fruits and vegetables, commercial crops, and other applications). The report offers the market size and forecasts in terms of value in USD million for all the above segments.
|Grains and Cereals|
|Pulses and Oilseeds|
|Fruits and Vegetables|
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market according to our research experts:
Rapid growth in the Biopesticide Market and Organic Agriculture
Due to the growing need for enough food and the importance of safe farming methods, the organic food industry has grown at a very fast rate. Over the last three decades, organic food and farming have continued to grow across the United Kingdom.
Since biopesticides are chemical-free, they are used on a large scale in organic farming. Hence, the market demand for biopesticides is increasing with the growing popularity of organic food and beverage products across the United Kingdom. Along with this, several government and social authorities' initiatives have been driving the use of bio-protection crop chemicals.
Bio-based chemicals are advantageous for farmers as well as for the environment. They are typically less toxic and more effective than conventional pesticides. They decompose well without leaving any harmful residues. Hence, increased organic farming across the world is anticipated to drive the market for bio-based chemicals during the forecast period.
Furthermore, in response to the growing need to meet food sufficiency and the importance of safe farming practices, the Brazilian organic food industry has recorded exponential double-digit growth rates. Over the past few years, organic food and farming have continued to grow across the country. For instance, the organic farming area in Brazil in 2017 was 1,136,857 hectares, which increased by 16.1% and reached 1,319,454 hectares in 2020. Since bio-based crop protection chemicals are used on a large scale in organic farming, Hence, the market demand for bio-based crop protection chemicals is increasing with the growing popularity of organic food and beverage products across the country.
The Center for Agriculture and Bioscience International (CABI) initiated the launch of the CABI bio-protection portal in the UK during the year 2020. This revolutionary online bioprotection resource is available to assist growers and pest management advisors in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in identifying, sourcing, and correctly applying biocontrol and biopesticide products for their specific crop and pest problems. This program would help the biopesticides and other bioprotection chemicals market expand soon since it is educating farmers and producers about their specific use and benefits. Hence, factors like increased organic farming, initiatives for enhancing the use of bio-protection crop chemicals, and the introduction of new bio-based products are anticipated to drive the market for bio-protection crop chemicals during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Increasing Demand for Food and Agricultural Productivity
With the increasing demand for food in the United Kingdom, the country's pressure to produce sufficient food is increasing. This comes with the need to minimize the losses caused by the attack of insects and pests. According to UK government statistics, total cereal production of wheat, barley, oats, and minor cereals (rye, triticale, and mixed grain) in the UK was just under 22.4 million tons in 2021, representing an 18% increase over 2020, and in 2021, agricultural land use accounted for 71% of the total area of the United Kingdom.
The need to protect the UK’s crop population is high since the country needs to safeguard its agricultural production. The UK Government announced in January 2021 that a neonicotinoid pesticide would be allowed on sugar beet crops in England as an emergency measure for the 2021 growing season.
Septoria tritici is UK wheat's most damaging foliar disease, causing yield losses ranging from around 30% to 50% in high-pressure seasons. To mitigate the yield loss, many wheat growers have increased the use of fungicides in their crops. Chlorothalonil, a fungicide that prevents mildew and mold on crops, is one of the most used pesticides in the United Kingdom.
Other than the conventional use of chemical crop protection chemicals in the UK, with the increase in organic agriculture product requirements, the use of bio-based crop protection chemicals is also increasing in the United Kingdom. Organic food and agriculture currently account for approximately 5–10% of the food market, with little variation. Biopesticides are increasingly being used in the production of organic food products, which are produced without the use of chemical pesticides. As a result, the growing popularity of organic food drives demand for biopesticides. Therefore, the increased food requirement across the United Kingdom is anticipated to drive the market for crop protection chemicals during the forecast period.
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Industry Overview
The United Kingdom crop protection chemicals market is consolidated, with major players occupying large market shares and competing fiercely with local players and private labels. The major players in the United Kingdom crop protection chemicals market include BASF SE, Syngenta AG, Bayer AG, FMC Corporation, and ADAMA Ltd. These players are focusing on developing new innovative crop protection chemicals by investing heavily in R&D activities to cater to the needs of growers in this region.
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market News
- December 2022: FMC Corporation and Micropep Technologies, a global leader in micropeptide technology, entered a strategic collaboration to co-develop bioherbicide solutions.
- August 2022: BASF and Corteva Agriscience entered a long-term collaboration to develop new soybean weed control solutions for farmers worldwide. Through the collaboration, BASF and Corteva aim to meet farmers’ demand for tailored weed control options that are differentiated from those on the market or in development.
- January 2022: Syngenta Crop Protection acquired two next-generation bioinsecticides, NemaTrident and UniSpore, from leading biocontrol technology developer Bionema Limited to combat increasing resistance and a wide range of insects and pests across horticulture and ornamentals.
February 2021: ADAMA launched a novel prothioconazole fungicide, Soratel, which uses a unique formulation to offer improved cereal and OSR disease control and features ADAMA’s "Asorbital formulation technology."
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions & Market definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By origin
5.2 By Type
5.2.4 Other Types
5.3 By Application
5.3.1 Grains and Cereals
5.3.2 Pulses and Oilseeds
5.3.3 Fruits and Vegetables
5.3.4 Commercial Crops
5.3.5 Other Applications
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Bayer CropScience AG
6.3.2 FMC Corporation
6.3.3 Syngenta CropProtection AG
6.3.4 BASF SE
6.3.5 Adama Ltd
6.3.6 Nufarm Limited
6.3.7 UPL Limited
6.3.8 PelGar International
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
UK Crop Protection Chemicals Market Research FAQs
How big is the United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market?
The United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market size is expected to reach USD 0.85 billion in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 4.20% to reach USD 1.05 billion by 2028.
What is the current United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market size?
In 2023, the United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market size is expected to reach USD 0.85 billion.
Who are the key players in United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market?
BASF SE, Syngenta AG, Bayer AG, FMC Corporation and ADAMA Ltd are the major companies operating in the United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Market.
United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. United Kingdom Crop Protection Chemicals analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.