Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Thailand oil and gas market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 3% during the forecast period. The COVID-19 pandemic has negatively impacted the market in terms of CAPEX cuts by the national and international oil companies operating in Thailand, project delays, and supply chain disruptions. In addition to this, the lower crude oil demand led to a significant dip in the crude oil prices in the first half of 2020 and this further pushed the oil and gas companies to change their investment plans in that year. However, the situation is expected to change in the coming years as the investments in the upstream and downstream sectors are expected to increase during the forecast period. However, crude oil reserves are declining in Thailand, and the country has to depend on imports to meet the increasing primary consumption. The political crisis, massive flooding, and indecision about revisions to the Petroleum Act have stalled government projects which are expected to restrain the growth of the market.
- The upstream sector is expected to dominate the Thailand oil & gas market owing to new discoveries and investments.
- The LNG demand is expected to increase over the forecast period considering the global carbon emission reduction goals, which is expected to increase the demand for natural gas for power generation. Furthermore, the government is considering an investment in various LNG projects which can create opportunities for the growth of the market in the near future.
- Upcoming midstream and downstream projects in the country owing the increasing exports and anticipated recovery in the petroleum products demand are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
Scope of the report
The Thailand oil and gas market report includes:
Key Market Trends
Increasing Investment in Oil And Gas to Reduce the Dependence on Imports
- Thailand's proven crude oil and natural gas reserves are expected to gradually shrink over the forecast period, at average rates of 7.3% and 2.8% per annum, respectively. Furthermore, there is very little scope for significant new oil and gas field discoveries, which would be needed to counter the decline in mature fields.
- The declining oil and gas reserves led to an increase in the import of crude oil, which has, in turn, led to a rise in oil prices. In 2019, to meet domestic demand, Thailand imported a total of 49,688 million liters of crude oil. This shows a rise of 11.59% from the previous year's imports. The import figures are expected to continue a similar trend during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, persistent uncertainties in the regulatory and licensing environment have already delayed the much-needed upstream investment in the country.
- With the increase in the import and the decreasing reserves, the government is regulating the policies to promote the investment in a bid to decrease the reliance on the imports.
- The increasing investment is likely to increase in production of oil and gas over the forecast period. With the increasing production, the midstream and the downstream sectors are likely to witness growth in order to process and transport the produced crude and natural gas.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Upstream Sector to Dominate the Market
- Thailand's upstream oil and gas production is predominately sourced from two offshore areas in the Gulf of Thailand, namely the Pattani Basin and the Malay Basin. Due to the fractured nature of the offshore geology, Thailand's reserves and production is provided by many separate, but relatively homogenous, reservoirs spread across the two basins.
- In 2019, PTT Exploration and Production Public Company Limited, the national petroleum exploration and production company based in Thailand announced a five-year investment plan (2019-2023) worth a combined USD 16.105 billion to support its business expansion both domestically and overseas.
- Following its five-year plan, PTTEP planned to invest USD 3.256 billion in 2019, USD 2.946 billion in 2020, USD 3.479 billion in 2021, USD 3.56 billion for 2022, and USD 2.864 in 2023.
- Furthermore, the government is revising its policies to attract foreign investments. The government in 2018 awarded a production sharing contract for the first time. The PSC contract is expected to boost investor confidence and attract more investment over the forecast period.
The Thailand oil and gas market is moderately consolidated. Some of the major companies operating in the market include PTT Public Company Limited, Chevron Corporation, Schlumberger Ltd, Halliburton Company, CAZ (Thailand) Public Company Limited, and others.
- The Department of Energy Business (DOEB), fuel consumption in Thailand contracted by 12.5% in 2020, because of strict state measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including a lockdown order. DOEB stated that jet fuel consumption had the steepest decline in 2020 with a 62.3% contraction for average consumption of 7.3 million liters per day, while compressed natural gas contracted by 28.3% to 3,900 tonnes per day.
- In February 2021, Thailand's state-controlled oil firm PTT announced that it is planning an investment of USD 28.3 billion across all its operations for 2021-2025, as it focuses on developing the country's LNG and natural gas industry while seeking future energy opportunities.
Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Oil and Gas Production Forecast in thousand barrels per day (tbpd) and billion cubic feet (Bcf) respectively, till 2026
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION - BY SECTOR
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Oil and Gas Operator and Developers
184.108.40.206 PTT Public Company Limited
220.127.116.11 Chevron Corporation
18.104.22.168 Ophir Energy Ltd
22.214.171.124 Coastal Energy Corporation Ltd
6.3.2 Oil and Gas Technology and Service Providers
126.96.36.199 Schlumberger Ltd
188.8.131.52 Halliburton Company
184.108.40.206 Amec Foster Wheeler PLC
220.127.116.11 Fluor Corp.
18.104.22.168 CAZ (Thailand) Public Company Limited
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 *List Not Exhaustive
7.2 **Subject to availability on public domain
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Thailand Oil and Gas Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Thailand Oil and Gas Market?
The Thailand Oil and Gas Market is growing at a CAGR of >3% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Thailand Oil and Gas Market?
PTT Public Company Limited, Chevron Corporation, Schlumberger Ltd, Halliburton Company, CAZ (Thailand) Public Company Limited are the major companies operating in Thailand Oil and Gas Market.