Fastest Growing Market:
The modified atmosphere packaging market was valued at USD 12.97 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach USD 18.28 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 5.55% over the forecast period 2020 - 2025. As packaging’s main purpose is to protect its content and 30% of all food produced worldwide is lost and wasted along the supply chain, enhanced and optimized packaging is one of the solutions to decrease this staggering amount. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), around 1.3 billion metric tons or nearly one-third of all food produced for humans is wasted worldwide each year, world’s food waste could be as high as 44% of the dry mass of agricultural crops, since 795 million or around 11% of the world’s population suffer from hunger, there is already a great deal of stress on food availability and thus the urgency to diminish food waste, highlighting the need to focus on packaging solutions.
In the MAP process, the product is packaged in an atmosphere that is dissimilar from that of air. MAP helps to delay the start of product degradation, typically by decreasing the quantity of oxygen bare to the product during its shelf life. Shelf life is also one of the most significant factors which drive the profitability for the retailers and distributors. The longer shelf life of products gives a larger sales window for retailers to trade the product. This helps them to lessen wastage of products and increase profits. Additionally, MAP is a technology where it increases the product’s shelf life and can be transported to distant locations without adding chemicals.
In addition to that, the MAP can play an important role in enhancing quality and decreasing wastage in the retail sector. For instance, the waste reduction from 5% to 1% in winter and 15% to 2% in summer reported when using retail MAP packaging for bananas. However the application of MAP has stretched to maturity in certain categories, such as snacks, coffee, and processed meats, it is becoming increasingly utilized in refrigerated, prepared convenience foods that meet consumer requirements for convenience, quality, variety, and health.
Scope of the Report
Modified atmosphere packaging comprises either actively or passively controlling or modifying the atmosphere surrounding the product inside a package made of various types or combinations of films allowing the packaging of perishable products in bulk that would be shelf-stable for longer periods of time, easing product quality, freshness and amplified the shelf-life of the product as well as provides convenience to the customer and adds worth to the product.
| By Packaging Gas |
| ||Oxygen |
| ||Nitrogen |
| ||Carbon Dioxide |
| ||Other Gases |
| By End-user Application |
| ||Convenience Foods |
| ||Poultry, Seafood, & Meat Products |
| ||Bakery & Confectionery |
| ||Fruits & Vegetables |
| ||Other End-user Applications |
| Geography |
| || |
| || |
| Europe |
|Rest of Europe |
| || |
| Asia Pacific |
|Rest of Asia-Pacific |
| || |
| Latin America |
|Rest of Latin America |
| || |
| Middle East and Africa |
|Saudi Arabia |
|South Africa |
|Rest of Middle East and Africa |
Report scope can be customized per your requirements. Click here.
Key Market Trends
Poultry, Seafood & Meat Products Hold a Dominant Position in Modified Atmosphere Packaging Market
- Meat and sausage products, especially raw meat, are very likely to spoil due to microbial growth, on account of their increased moisture and nutrient content. No matter whether, pork or poultry – decay initiates from the moment of slaughter and especially after slaughtering. Besides extraordinary hygiene standards and permanent cooling, modified atmospheres can considerably extend the shelf life of meat and sausage products. CO2 is the most significant or important among the protective gases.
- At concentrations above 20 %, CO2 can considerably decrease microbial growth. In the case of red meat, there is the possibility of oxidation of the red color pigments. The meat will lose its red color, getting grey and unappetizing in appearance. This oxidation is particularly prominent with beef. Increased oxygen content in protective gas packaging can prevent oxidation. A decreased carbon monoxide content (approx. 0.5 %) can also help to hold and retain the red color of meat.
- Poultry is principally sensitive to rapid spoilage and is therefore subject to higher requirements for permanent cooling. Here, a MAP with CO2 content will prolong the shelf life. High oxygen content is used for poultry without a skin so as to keep the color of the meat. The CO2 can partially be absorbed by the foods. To avoid the packaging from collapsing, nitrogen is used as a supporting gas.
- Fish and seafood are some of the most delicate foods. They are at risk of quickly lessening in quality and spoiling even shortly after the catch. Modified atmospheres Packaging (MAP) with a minimum 20 % CO2 delay and slow down the growth of bacteria. CO2 components around 50 % are repeatedly used. Moreover with Seafood like shellfish and crustaceans, attention is paid to ensuring a CO2 content that is not too high. This can be distinguished most clearly by a sour taste, while these products absorb CO2 the most, as a result of which the packaging can end. Nitrogen as an inert supporting gas which prevents this effect.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Drive the Global Modified Atmosphere Packaging Market
- The United State’s modified atmosphere packaging industry is undergoing a push toward e-commerce platforms. Meals and snack bars are still relatively minor as a sales segment when online purchases are taken into consideration, although it is a growing segment. With subscription boxes and grocery pickups existing and available from online shopping, augmented access may result in better revenues for consumers.
- The main reasons that drive the growth of the North America Modified Atmosphere Packaging (MAP) Market are growing demand for fresh and quality packaged food, hygienic packaging of food, manufacturers demand an extended shelf-life, On-The-Go Lifestyle to compel the growth of the food packaging technology & equipment market and swing towards easy-to-handle and convenient packaging are the important factors that are driving the market growth.
- However, the increased cost of development and stringent government legislation are the factors that are hindering the growth of the market. On the other hand, extraordinary growth potential markets in emerging economies, consumer gaining confidence in food safety and packaging as a tool for product differentiation are the opportunities that drive the North American market.
- The North America core market is anticipated to witness substantial revenue growth in the target market, owing to rising infrastructure development activities, together with the integration of renewable energy sources in the region. The United State’s modified atmosphere packaging industry is also undergoing and experiencing a push towards e-commerce platforms. Meals and snack bars are still comparatively small as a sales segment when online purchases are considered, however it is a growing segment.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report.
The Modified Atmosphere Packaging Market is reasonably competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. Modified Atmosphere Packaging Market is prominently expanding with important technological advancements in various industry sectors, therefore existing players are concentrating on maintaining their market presence by investing large amounts in research and development. Companies present in the market are focusing on strengthening their foothold in the MAP market by strategic alliances and investments in research & development.
- Feb 2019 - Praxair, Inc., authorized the construction of a world-scale hydrogen plant in Louisiana to supply product under a long-term contract with a major refinery in the area. The new plant will be integrated with Praxair’s already extensive Louisiana production network via its Mississippi River Corridor hydrogen pipeline system.
- Dec 2018 - Amcor opened a new home care packaging site in India. As part of a seven-year agreement with Unilever signed in 2017, Amcor, the global packaging leader, made a substantial investment to build and equip the state-of-the-art Bharuch plant, at Gujarat, in the Western region of India.
Table Of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 Rising Demand for Longer Shelf Life
4.3.2 Growing Demand for Ready to Eat Food Items in the Developing Economies
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 High Investment Costs for Map Equipment
4.4.2 Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Technology Snapshot
4.6.1 Tray-Sealer Machine
4.6.2 Horizontal And Vertical Flowing Machine
4.6.3 Deep-Drawing Machine
4.6.4 Vacuum Chamber Machine
4.6.5 Bag Sealing Machine
4.6.6 Other Technologies
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Packaging Gas
5.1.3 Carbon Dioxide
5.1.4 Other Gases
5.2 By End-user Application
5.2.1 Convenience Foods
5.2.2 Poultry, Seafood, & Meat Products
5.2.3 Bakery & Confectionery
5.2.4 Fruits & Vegetables
5.2.5 Other End-user Applications
5.3.1 North America
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Latin America
220.127.116.11 Rest of Latin America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Air Products and Chemicals Inc.
6.1.2 Coveris Holdings S.A.
6.1.3 Praxair Inc.
6.1.4 Sealed Air Corporation
6.1.5 Bemis Company Inc.
6.1.6 Berry Plastics Corporation
6.1.7 LINPAC Packaging Limited
6.1.8 Multisorb Technologies Inc.
6.1.9 Robert Reiser & Co. Inc.
6.1.10 Dansensor A/S
6.1.11 Berry Plastics Corporation
6.1.12 Amcor Limited
6.1.13 CVP Systems, Inc.
6.1.14 Orics Industries, Inc
*List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS