MEA Canned Seafood Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
MEA Canned Seafood Market Analysis
The Middle East and Africa canned seafood markets are projected to register a CAGR of 4.34% over the next five years.
- The consumption of canned seafood products in the region is increasing due to several factors, including the rising demand for animal protein and healthy diets among consumers. The convenience factor and ease of storage and cooking are other key reasons for the market's growth. As the working population and disposable income in the region are increasing, consumers' demand for convenience food is also growing.
- Urbanization is another contributing factor to the rising demand for canned seafood products, particularly among urban consumers who prefer convenience seafood products like canned tuna, chilled and frozen seafood products, and other canned seafood products that are easy and quick to prepare. The urban population of Egypt was 44,687,204 in 2021, according to World Bank Data. It has been steadily increasing over the years and is projected to reach around 50 million by 2030. This demographic shift is likely to continue driving demand for canned seafood products in the country as more consumers seek out convenient and easy-to-prepare food options.
- Canned tuna seafood products are an excellent, affordable source of nutrition due to their protein, polyunsaturated fats, and other nutrients. Health-conscious consumers and sports and fitness enthusiasts in the region demand seafood products for their high protein content. However, the market growth is being restrained by veganism, which is gaining traction in the region due to shifting consumer preferences as a result of dietary and environmental concerns. This factor has adversely impacted meat and seafood sales in the region.
- Despite this, the market is expected to grow in the medium term due to rising tourism, increased consumption of processed and convenience food, and rising disposable income.
MEA Canned Seafood Market Trends
Growing Popularity For Seafood Among Meat Products
- In recent years, there has been a growing trend among consumers towards convenience foods, driven by factors such as busy lifestyles, increasing disposable income, and a growing working population. Additionally, there has been an increase in consumer demand for sustainable seafood due to its health benefits and longer shelf life. As a result, consumers are increasingly opting for various seafood and meat products.
- According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), canned seafood products such as tuna, shrimp, sardines, and other similar products are essential foods in regions such as the Middle East and Africa. Moreover, the Middle East region is experiencing a rise in tourism, leading to an increase in demand for canned seafood in restaurants, cafes, and other food service channels.
- In 2022, according to the Government of Dubai, data, 14.36 million international tourists visited Dubai, which is expected to continue to grow. Therefore, as tourism continues to increase in the Middle East and Africa, the demand for canned seafood is also expected to rise, particularly in the food service sector.
Africa Holds largest segment in the Market
- There has been a significant increase in demand for canned food, especially canned fish, in Africa in recent years. This trend can be attributed to a growing number of consumers who are opting for canned fish due to its affordability and longer shelf life, making it an increasingly popular protein source. The increased focus on health and wellness globally has also played a role in driving the demand for animal-sourced proteins, including canned tuna, shrimp, and other seafood products.
- Canned seafood products are also gaining popularity in Africa because they are cheaper than red meat. This affordability factor, combined with the rising urban population in South Africa, has been a major driver of the canned food market in the region. According to World Bank data, as of 2021, South Africa's urban population accounted for 68% of the total population.
- Furthermore, the growth of the tourism industry in Africa is also contributing to the growth of the canned food market. With more tourists visiting the region, the demand for canned seafood products has increased as they are a convenient and easy-to-prepare option for travelers. Overall, the increasing demand for canned food, especially canned fish, in Africa is driven by a combination of affordability, convenience, and health and wellness trends.
MEA Canned Seafood Industry Overview
The Middle East and Africa canned seafood market is highly competitive, with several packaged food manufacturers striving to gain a larger market share by innovating their offerings and expanding their distribution in retail markets across the region. Among the key players in the market are Saldanha, Oceana Group Limited, Thai Union Group (John West), Bidvest Namibia Fisheries Holdings (Pty) Limited, Goody, Al-Alali, and others. These companies are at the forefront of the canned seafood industry in the region, constantly working to improve their products and expand their reach. With the growing demand for canned seafood in the region, competition among these players is expected to remain intense in the coming years.
MEA Canned Seafood Market Leaders
Oceana Group Limited
Americana Group Inc
Thai Union Group
Century Pacific food, INC.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
MEA Canned Seafood Market News
- November 2022: Thai Union Group converted its loan-based strategic investment in Aegir Seafood into a 50% shareholding, further strengthening the successful business relationship between the two companies. Since Thai Union's initial investment in 2019, Aegir Seafood has made a substantial contribution to the growth of Thai Union's brands and private label business, particularly for King Oscar and Rügen Fisch. This acquisition has allowed Thai Union Group to expand its product portfolio to include high-quality cod liver, which is a premium product that complements its existing range of seafood products.
- April 2022: Saudi seafood franchise, Shrimp Nation, has launched a new branch in the United Arab Emirates. Shrimp Nation specializes in offering a wide range of shrimp products, along with crabs, fish, and other seafood products, to its customers. With its expansion into the UAE, the franchise aims to tap into the growing demand for high-quality seafood products in the region and to provide a unique dining experience to its customers. Shrimp Nation is expected to compete with other seafood restaurants in the region, offering a diverse range of menu options and unique flavors to attract customers.
- August 2021: Bolton Group B.V. announced the acquisition of Wild Planet Foods, a leading producer of sustainable seafood products. This acquisition is a strategic move for Bolton Group B.V., as it aims to accelerate its path of international development and sustainability in the seafood sector. Wild Planet Foods is known for its commitment to sustainability and responsible fishing practices, which aligns with Bolton Group's vision of providing high-quality and sustainable seafood products to its customers. With this acquisition, Bolton Group B.V. is expected to expand its global presence in the seafood industry and offer a wider range of sustainable seafood products to its customers.
MEA Canned Seafood Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Canned Fish
5.1.2 Canned Shrimp
5.1.3 Canned Prawns
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2 Distribution Channel
5.2.2 Convenience Stores
5.2.3 Online Retailers
5.2.4 Other Distruibution Channels
5.3.1 United Arab Emirates
5.3.2 South Africa
5.3.3 Rest of the Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Most Adopted Strategies
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Terrasan Group of Companies (Saldanha)
6.3.2 Oceana Group Limited
6.3.3 Thai Union Group (John West)
6.3.4 Bidvest Namibia Fisheries Holdings (Pty) Limited
6.3.6 Kawasho Foods Corporation
6.3.7 American Tuna Inc
6.3.8 Trident Seafood Corporation
6.3.9 Bolton Group B.V.
6.3.10 Shrimp Nation
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
MEA Canned Seafood Market Research FAQs
What is the current Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market size?
The Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market is projected to register a CAGR of 4.34% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market?
Oceana Group Limited, Americana Group Inc, Thai Union Group, Alalali and Century Pacific food, INC. are the major companies operating in the Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market.
What years does this Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market cover?
The report covers the Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Middle East and Africa Canned Seafood Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Canned Seafoods in MEA Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Canned Seafoods in MEA market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Canned Seafoods in MEA analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.