Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Mexico Rigid Packaging Market was valued at USD 6,128.60 million in 2021 and is expected to generate a revenue of USD 8,394.44 million in 2027 at a growth rate of 5.53% during the forecaste period 2022-2027. Mexico is one of the fastest-growing markets in Latin America. Its growing Middle-Class Population and Increasing foreign direct investment further make it a potential hub for industrial aspects and ease of business in the country.
- For a range of factors, such as reduced weight, lower relative cost, design flexibility, and ease of recycling, rigid plastic packaging is frequently preferred over traditional pack types in the Mexico region.
- According to International Trade Administration, in 2021, packaging was the most significant driver of Mexico's plastics industry, accounting for 47% of market demand. Of this demand, the food and beverage industry is the major contributor to the demand for plastic bottles and jars in the region. Additionally, most plastic packaging items used in the food and beverage industry are created locally.
- The rugged and robust nature and safe handling features of plastic bottles are extensively used in packaging non-alcoholic beverages and packaged drinking water. Further, Plastic bottles are resistant to leaks and bursts, preserving the contents and the outside shipping containers.
- •Owing to the growing demand for plastic packaging solutions and the increasing population of middle-class citizens in the country, leading foreign investors are working on strategic deals to capitalize on the ever-increasing market. For instance, in December 2021, Pretium Packaging, LLC ("Pretium"), a designer and manufacturer of packaging solutions for a diverse set of applications backed by Clearlake Capital Group, LP, announced to have acquired Grupo Edit, a family-owned rigid packaging manufacturer to expand its business in Mexico. The Company's plastics division manufactures bottles, carafes, thin-wall containers, jars, and closures made primarily from PET and HDPE.
Scope of the Report
The study on Mexico's Rigid packaging market tracks demand for the major packaging format types such as rigid plastic containers, paper and paperboard, container glass, and metal cans, along with corresponding end-user industry verticals demand and revenue accrued from the sales of these rigid packaging products.
The Market is primarily segmented based on packaging material (rigid plastic containers, paper and paperboard, container glass and metal cans), end-user ( food, beverage, industrial, healthcare and pharmaceutical, and others). The market estimates are adjusted based on the assessment of the impact of COVID-19 on the market. The scope of the study is limited to Mexico Region only.
|By Packaging Material Type|
|Paper and Paperboard|
|Rigid Plastic (Bottles, Containers, Caps and Closures, Bulk-based products)|
|By End-User Industry|
|Healthcare and Pharmaceutical|
|Beauty and Personal Care|
|Other End-User Industries|
Key Market Trends
Rigid Plastic Material to Hold Significant Share
- The Mexican rigid plastic packaging market is very dynamic. The industry offers a wide range of opportunities, with food processing, beer, tobacco, and coffee being the main sectors. Rigid plastic packaging provides unique benefits, such as high impact strength, stiffness, and high barrier properties, which have expanded the rigid plastic packaging medium market in recent years.
- The increasing need for rigid plastic packaging in the healthcare sector has been one of the essential aspects driving industry growth in recent years. Inert properties of rigid plastics added with physical properties such as durability, transparency, lightweight, and cleanliness increased the usage of rigid plastics in the storage and packaging of medical products.
- In December 2021, US-based Pretium Packaging LLC expanded into Mexico by acquiring Grupo Edid, a family-owned packaging solutions provider. This acquisition includes four separate operations: Ediplast, Edipacks, Refrepet, and Ediprint. Grupo Edidmay is integrated into Pretium Packaging, thus enabling the company to expand into the region.
- Companies in the region invest in new equipment and expand the production and recycling of rigid plastics. For instance, in January 2022, Austria-based packaging supplier Alplaand Coca-Cola FEMSA partnered to build a PET recycling plant in South Mexico with an investment of USD 60 million and an annual capacity of 50,000 tons of reusable PET material.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Food Industry to Hold the Highest Market Share
- The Mexican food industry has grown rapidly over recent years, fuelled by the establishment of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the spread of its retail model leading to an increase in the import of foreign foods. International operators are seeking to extend their product portfolios, and new producers are looking to enter this profitable market. A fact is that Mexico is becoming increasingly dependent on imports of some products.
- According to the National Institute of Geography and Statistics (INEGI), there are 217,245 economic units, including offices, manufacturing plants, and distribution centers, under and industry classification of “food and beverage manufacturing and processing.” According to the Ministry of Agriculture (SADER), 9.3 million people in Mexico work to generate and transform agricultural and fish products (SIAP). The food processing industry employs more than 800,000 workers.
- The Mexican processed food industry receives about 90% of its supplies locally. These supplies include fruits, vegetables, cartons, glass, plastic, and tinplate. Domestically produced products have certain competitive advantages, such as a better understanding of the local industry and its needs and logistical advantages due to their closeness, but small players may face issues of quality, traceability, or lack of ability to meet larger quantity orders.
- Growing demand for protein-rich food products is another major driver of the Mexican packaging market. The country is continuously boosting domestic meat production to meet the increasing demand for meat products. Factors such as vertical integration of farms, investments in biosecurity, improvement in the production chain, and increased efficiency are spurring the local food production in the country, which, in turn, is bolstering the market growth of fresh food packaging in Mexico.
The Mexico Rigid Packaging Market is highly fragmented, and it comprises market incumbents, such as Amcor, Plastipak, and Berry Global, among others, accompanied by several regional packaging firms.
- April 2022 - Huhtamaki announced a first-to-market sustainable innovation for the global pharmaceutical and healthcare industry. Huhtamaki's Push Tab blister lid is mono-material PET and free from aluminum. It is designed to meet the stringent safety requirements of highly regulated pharmaceutical and healthcare packaging. It provides the industry with a more sustainable alternative to traditional push-through blister packaging.
- January 2022 - Crown Holdings, Inc. gained certification from the Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) for its Mexican beverage can operations, continuing its progress toward its sustainable sourcing goals. Crown Mexico is accredited for responsible aluminum manufacturing, sourcing, and stewardship by the ASI Performance Standard, which evaluates and certifies the morality of metal packaging industrial activities. The accomplishment highlights Crown's continuous dedication to upholding its global reach and carrying out the Twentyby30 sustainability initiative.
- January 2022 - In a partnership with WestRock and Grupo Gondi, Grupo Modelo announced an investment of approximately USD 4 million in sustainable, fiber-based CanCollar Eco solution in Quintana Roo, a Mexican state. The partnership aims to help advance the beer company's sustainability goals by eliminating its use of plastic rings in Mexico.
- June 2022 - Smurfit Kappa has announced an investment of USD 23.5 Million (EUR 21.9 Million) to upgrade its sheet plant in Nuevo Laredo in Northeast Mexico. This investment is aimed at making the plant more sustainable, including installing a new corrugator.
- June 2022 - Saverglass is to double capacity at its Guadalajara, Mexico, production facility and increase its decoration capability. The USD 116 million investment will include a 200,000 tonnes-a-year furnace capable of manufacturing 200 million bottles in three colors: extra-white, antique green, and dark yellow. The 30 hectares plant expansion will allow Saverglass to preserve the quality and regularity of production for its customers.
- May 2022 - Ball Corp. and Manna Capital Partners of Louisville, Kentucky, partnered to build and run a recycled-content aluminum can sheet rolling mill and melt shop in Los Lunas, New Mexico. The company reports that Ball, based in Westminster, Colorado, will sign a long-term supply arrangement and also plans to take a minority equity stake in the mill.
- February 2022 - US-based metal packaging producer Crown Holdings secured Aluminum Stewardship Initiative (ASI) certification for its beverage and could begin operations in Mexico. ASI’s Performance Standard certification represents that the business is verified for the responsible manufacturing, obtaining, and managing of aluminum.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Prodcuts
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Demand From Packaging Food And Industrial Sector
5.1.2 The Manufacturing And Allied Sectors Are Expected To Rebound And Contribute To The Market Demand In Mexico
5.2 Market Challenge
5.2.1 Stringent Regulations Coupled With Strong Competition From Flexible-based Products
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.4 Impact of COVID-19 on Mexico Rigid Packaging Market
5.5 Role of Reusability and Recyclability in Rigid Packaging Market
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Packaging Material Type
6.1.1 Paper and Paperboard
6.1.2 Container Glass
6.1.4 Rigid Plastic (Bottles, Containers, Caps and Closures, Bulk-based products)
6.2 By End-User Industry
6.2.3 Healthcare and Pharmaceutical
6.2.4 Beauty and Personal Care
6.2.6 Other End-User Industries
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles - Flexible Plastic Vendors
7.1.1 Altopro Inc.
7.1.2 Transcontinental Inc.
7.1.3 Amcor PLC
7.1.5 UFlex Limited
7.1.6 Huhtamaki Oyj
7.1.7 Mondi PLC
7.1.9 Constantia Flexibles
7.1.10 FLAIR Flexible Packaging Corp.
7.2 Company Profiles - Rigid Plastic Vendors
7.2.1 Amcor Rigid Packaging Mexico
7.2.2 Grupo Phoenix
7.2.3 Aptar Group Inc.
7.2.4 GREIF Inc.
7.2.5 ALPLA Mexico S.A. de C.V. (ALPLA GROUP)
7.2.6 Berry Global Inc.
7.2.7 Winpak Ltd
7.2.8 Sonoco Mexico Products Company
7.2.9 COEXPAN S.A. (Coexpan México, S.A. de C.V.)
7.2.10 Monoflo International
7.3 Company Profiles - Carton and Corrugated Box Vendors
7.3.1 Smurfit Kappa
7.3.2 International Paper Company
7.3.3 Westrock Company
7.3.4 Tri-Wall Limited
7.3.5 Copamex, S.A. de C.V.
7.3.6 Graphic Packaging International, LLC
7.3.7 Edelmann GmbH
7.3.8 Grupo Gondi
7.3.9 Papeles Y Conversiones De Mexico
7.4 Company Profiles - Foam and Metal Can Vendors
7.4.1 Ball Corporation
7.4.2 Crown Holdings, Inc.
7.4.3 Mauser Packaging Solutions
7.4.4 CCL Container
7.4.5 KB Foam Inc
7.4.6 Sealed Air Corporation
7.4.7 Madison Polymeric Engineering, Inc
7.4.8 Sonoco Mexico Products Company
7.4.9 ALLTUB Group
7.4.10 Envases Group
7.5 Company Profiles - Container Glass Vendors
7.5.1 Schott AG
7.5.2 Corning Incorporated
7.5.3 Vitro S.A.B. de CV
7.5.4 Vidrio Formas S.A. de C.V.
7.5.6 Gerresheimer AG
7.5.7 O-I Glass, Inc.
7.5.8 Saverglass Group
7.5.10 Fusion y Formas
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Mexico Rigid Packaging Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Mexico Rigid Packaging Market?
The Mexico Rigid Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 5.53% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Mexico Rigid Packaging Market?
Coexpan S.A., AptarGroup, Inc., Grupo Gondi, Envases Group, Vitro S.A.B. de CV are the major companies operating in Mexico Rigid Packaging Market.