|Study Period:||2018 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Total Lab Automation Market was valued at USD 4569.3 million in 2020, and it is expected to reach a value of USD 6,672.31 million by 2026, at a CAGR of 6.6% over the forecast period (2021-2026). With the recent outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been an increased pressure on the laboratories to increase testing labs' capacity and speed. With the increase in the number of samples being tested every day, the market studied has been witnessing a growth in the developments of automation systems by vendors, which is expected to create opportunities to the studied market’s growth. Regions, like Europe and Latin America, have witnessed an increase in the demand for high-speed sample processing, thereby, increasing the demand for lab automation.
- A notable use case was identified in June 2020, which involves a Danish pipetting robot, has been automating COVID testing processes in hospitals across Europe. The liquid-handling robot by Flow Robotics, from Denmark has been speeding up the task of analyzing COVID tests. Everyday thousands of tests for COVID-19 are currently being prepared for analysis by the sophisticated flow bot ONE from Flow Robotics.
- The total laboratory automation system performs laboratory testing throughout the system in a timely and cost-effective fashion. Laboratory automation contains computerized lab instruments and gadgets, which give advantages, such as expanded profitability, enhanced work process scope, reduced time cycle, and improved information quality. Lab automation is also vital to handle large volumes of sample tests at a rapid rate.
- For instance, automated liquid handlers have been widely adopted in lab automation, as they drastically reduce the time for processing and minimize the scope for sample contamination by dispensing the dead volumes very efficiently. Liquid handlers work on software, controlled by using an integrated system, which customizes the handling procedures with large transfer volumes.
- Tecan, in the recent past, launched a range of advanced liquid handling solutions, along with the new Fluent Gx Automation Workstation, to meet the critical needs of clinical and regulated laboratories. Hamilton, in October 2019, launched its compact Microlab Prep automated liquid handler designed for those transitioning away from manual pipetting using 96- and 384-well microplates and other sample vessels.
- Laboratories are facing pressure to produce faster turnaround time, while also reducing errors to enhance patient care and therefore are using automation and robotics pervasive in clinical laboratories. The high-end automation in instruments and modular systems offers an array of features that are extremely user-friendly. Most of these instruments can be integrated with IT to maximize the benefits of laboratory automation, which offer mechanized solutions in each phase of workflow in a lab.
Scope of the Report
Total lab automation is the automation of the repetitive functions performed in a laboratory, leading to overall improvement in process control, along with leading to faster turnaround times.
This report segments the market by equipment, software, application and geography. The segmentation on the basis of software is divided into laboratory information management system, laboratory information system, chromatography data system, electronic lab notebook, and scientific data management system. Considering the above equipment and software, the market has been analyzed on the basis of various applications, like drug discovery, genomics, proteomics, clinical diagnostics, clinical microbiology, and other applications.
|Type of Equipment|
|Automated Liquid Handlers|
|Automated Plate Handlers|
|Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS)|
|Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)|
|Laboratory Information System (LIS)|
|Chromatography Data System (CDS)|
|Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)|
|Scientific Data Management System (SDMS)|
|Rest of the World|
Key Market Trends
Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) Expected to Hold the Largest Market Share
- Laboratory information management system (LIMS) is a software used to manage and aggregate data from samples and automate workflows and manage associated samples. Additionally, LIMS tracks the lots and reagents, which helps in predetermining and understanding the required lab agents and resources.
- LIMS offers various benefits, such as integration with other in-lab systems, enabling smooth functioning and gathering data at a single place. This is propelling market growth significantly.
- In clinical research applications, LIMS offers flexibility in the configuration of applications. Clinical labs are also tasked with meeting specific regulatory requirements, including those governed by (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) CLIA and CAP in the United States, which relate to the accuracy and reliability of tests. Compliance with CLIA involves following the set of strict standards. LIMS are expected to meet these standards.
- In July 2019, Abbott launched STARLIMS Life Sciences Solution 11.1, a laboratory information management system, to help manage complex sample and testing workflow. It will also help to drive data safety and integrity throughout the entire lifecycle. STARLIMS Life Sciences Solution 11.1 is designed for various applications, such as specialty diagnostics and academic research, pre-clinical, and clinical research, to manage and test clinical samples.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America is Expected to Hold the Largest Share
- North America is anticipated to register a significant share owing to the presence of the United States, a country with significant investments in clinical research. This country is home to some of the major pharmaceutical companies, like Pfizer, Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline, J&J, and Novartis. The country also has the highest concentration of contract research organizations (CROs). Some of the major CROs in the country are Laboratory Corp. of America Holdings, IQVIA, Syneos Health, and Parexel International Corp.
- Owing to the presence of all the major players in the industry and stringent FDA regulations, the market is very competitive in the country. In order to gain an advantage over competitors, the companies in the country are increasingly adopting robotics and automation in labs.
- The inclusion of robotics and automation has been a major factor aiding the transformation of the clinical research industry, owing to which more than 108,790 clinical studies were registered in the United States in 2019, according to the ClinicalTrials.gov. Moreover, there has been a significant rise in FDA approvals received in the past years, primarily owing to automation.
- The region has regulatory bodies, such as the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) that regulates and monitors all laboratory testing performed on humans in the United States through the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) that covers 260,000 laboratory entities. This represents a potential opportunity for the lab automation providers, which may boost the growth for the market over the forecast period.
- Some of the prominent players in the region are entering strategic partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, and strategic partnerships, in order to boost the technology used for automation, in turn, fueling the demand for lab automation throughout the forecast period. For instance, in January 2019, Shimadzu Medical Systems USA announced the acquisition of ORE Medical Imaging Inc.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The Total Lab Automation Market offers strong competition to the operating players, owing to the presence of some key players in the market, such as Siemens AG, Honeywell, and Schimadzu. Their ability to innovate their offerings has allowed the players to gain a competitive advantage over their competitors. Through R&D activities, strategic partnerships, and mergers and acquisitions, these players are able to gain a strong foothold in the market.
- February 2020 - Becton, Dickinson and Company announced that the BD Kiestra ReadA is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). This standalone device improves the operational efficiency in clinical microbiology laboratories by automating redundant plate management tasks, while delivering accuracy through standardized digital image acquisition.
- August 2020 - Abbott Laboratories received U.S. marketing approval for a Covid-19 portable test that can deliver results within 15 minutes. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted the approval under its emergency use authorisation program.
- January 2020 - Hamilton Health Sciences, a Canadian hospital network, entered a strategic partnership with Siemens Healthineers that was valued at around CAD 270 million. Over the contract term of 15 years, with an option to extend it an additional 10 years, the company aims to provide comprehensive services for the latest imaging equipment in the hospitals. The objective of this partnership is primarily to improve the quality of healthcare through precision medicine and digital health solutions.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increasing R&D by Pharmaceutical and Biotech Companies
5.1.2 Growing Demand from Drug Discovery and Genomics
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 Initial Setup Demands Huge Capital Investment
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 Type of Equipment
6.1.1 Automated Liquid Handlers
6.1.2 Automated Plate Handlers
6.1.3 Robotic Arms
6.1.4 Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS)
6.2.1 Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
6.2.2 Laboratory Information System (LIS)
6.2.3 Chromatography Data System (CDS)
6.2.4 Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)
6.2.5 Scientific Data Management System (SDMS)
6.3.1 Drug Discovery
6.3.4 Clinical Diagnostics
6.3.5 Other Applications
6.4.1 North America
6.4.3 Asia Pacific
6.4.4 Rest of the World
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles*
7.1.1 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
7.1.2 Danaher Corporation / Beckman Coulter
7.1.3 Hudson Robotics Inc.
7.1.4 Becton Dickinson & Co.
7.1.5 Synchron Lab Automation
7.1.6 Agilent Technologies Inc.
7.1.7 Siemens Healthineers AG
7.1.8 Tecan Group Ltd.
7.1.9 PerkinElmer Inc.
7.1.10 Inpeco SPA
7.1.11 Roche Holding AG
7.1.12 Abbott Laboratories
7.1.13 Sysmex Corporation
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Total Lab Automation Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Total Lab Automation Market?
The Total Lab Automation Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Total Lab Automation Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Total Lab Automation Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Total Lab Automation Market?
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc, Danaher Corporation, Hudson Robotics Inc., Becton Dickinson & Co., Synchron Lab Automation are the major companies operating in Total Lab Automation Market.