Europe Cotton Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Market Size (2024)
|USD 8.08 Billion
|Market Size (2029)
|USD 10.27 Billion
|CAGR (2024 - 2029)
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Cotton Market Analysis
The Europe Cotton Market size is estimated at USD 8.08 billion in 2024, and is expected to reach USD 10.27 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 4.91% during the forecast period (2024-2029).
- Europe is one of the largest consumers of cotton crops after Asia-Pacific and North America. However, cotton production in Europe is comparatively low compared to other regions. Among the European countries, Greece is the largest producer and exporter of cotton. There are more than 45,000 cotton farmers in the country, and cotton is currently planted on approximately 270,000 hectares, accounting for 10% of the total agricultural land. Thessaly, Macedonia, Thrace, and Mainland Greece are the major cotton-producing areas of Greece.
- Cotton in Greece is planted from March to April, and the crop life cycle is usually 170-210 days, depending on the variety and weather conditions. The cotton harvest typically occurs from October to November, and the European market is completely open, with no excise duties on cotton. The increased domestic consumption has made the market import-driven.
- The EU provides some crop-specific payment for cotton, limited to a certain base area per EU country. To be eligible, farmers must only grow cotton on land authorized by the EU country, using authorized seed varieties and subject to minimum quality of harvested cotton. This crop-specific payment aims to ensure risk against any disruption to production in the cotton-producing regions.
Europe Cotton Market Trends
Increased Demand for Cotton in Textile Industry
Cotton is popular in Europe because it is practical, versatile, durable, soft, breathable, and biodegradable. It is also easy to dye and blend with other fibers, because of which it has been used widely in the European apparel industry. Europe is a strong market for cotton, with the biggest markets being located in Italy, Germany, Portugal, Spain, France, and Romania. India and China have booming textile industries. They are the major cotton producers, but Europe still dominates the textile market. Almost all major apparel and popular brands running worldwide are from European countries. Gucci, Prada, Versace, Armani, Chanel, Christian Dior, and other luxury brands originating in Italy, France, and other countries of Europe, especially rule the luxury market. Greece is the largest cotton-producing country in Europe and a major cotton exporter.
During the 36th International Cotton Conference held in Germany in 2022, the high-quality cotton production within Europe in the network and the downstream, highly specialized textile and clothing industry, under the headline 'Region in Focus,' was highlighted in that session. Currently, cotton is mainly produced in three parts of Europe in which Germany accounts for 80% of the production, followed by Spain with a share of 20%. Bulgaria produces cotton in less than 1,000 ha.This popularity of brands among people in the world and the increased demand for cotton from the textile industry are likely to drive the cotton market in Europe.
Cotton Import Exceeds Export to Fulfill the Demand
Greece is the largest cotton-producing country in Europe and a major cotton exporter. Cotton is machine picked in Greece and is recognized for its high quality in terms of length, strength, and micronaire (an indication of fiber fineness). Cotton in Greece is planted from March to April, and the crop life cycle is usually 170-210 days. The harvest typically occurs from October to November. In 2020, Greece became a recognized Better Cotton Standard Country, and 11 Agricultural Business Groups enrolled in the AGRO-2 certification, encompassing an estimated 30,000 hectares planted and 4,000 farmers. However, production alone is not enough to meet the demand in the region. Therefore, Europe depends majorly on imports of cotton.
According to the ITC Trade Map, in 2021, Italy was a major importer of cotton in Europe, accounting for 1,130,113 USD thousand, followed by Germany for USD 805,596 USD thousand. Portugal, the Russian Federation, and Spain are the other major importers of cotton in the region, owing to the growing demand for bed linen in Europe. Over the period, cotton consumption for bed linen indicates a very strong expansion. Europe's total cotton lint import is expected to increase, making Europe an import destination, which will likely see steady growth in the future and boost the cotton market industry.
Europe Cotton Market News
- January 2021: Regulation in the EU legislation was imposed to simplify production rules by removing certain exceptions, among other things. It is also intended to make certification easier for small rural farmers.
- October 2020: Better Cotton and ELGO-DOV became strategic partners and recognized the Greek AGRO-2 Integrated Management Standards as equivalent to the Better Cotton Standard System. This partnership was carried out to produce better cotton in Greece.
Europe Cotton Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.3 Market Restraints
4.4 Value Chain Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 Geography (Production Analysis, Consumption Analysis by Value and Volume, Import Analysis by Value and Volume, Export Analysis by Value and Volume and Price Trend Analysis)
5.1.6 Rest of Europe
6. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Cotton Market Research FAQs
How big is the Europe Cotton Market?
The Europe Cotton Market size is expected to reach USD 8.08 billion in 2024 and grow at a CAGR of 4.91% to reach USD 10.27 billion by 2029.
What is the current Europe Cotton Market size?
In 2024, the Europe Cotton Market size is expected to reach USD 8.08 billion.
What years does this Europe Cotton Market cover, and what was the market size in 2023?
In 2023, the Europe Cotton Market size was estimated at USD 7.70 billion. The report covers the Europe Cotton Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Europe Cotton Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Cotton in Europe Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Cotton in Europe market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Cotton in Europe analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.