Thumbnail

Europe Cotton Market - Growth, Trends and Forecasts (2020 - 2025)

Looking to buy the report?

Europe Cotton Market

Cotton is a basic crop that has major application in agriculture, textile, and food industry. Cotton is the most consumed fabric in the region. Cotton is used as cottonseed oil in the food industry, cottonseed for animal feed purpose, and as cotton fabric for the textile industry. Europe is one of the largest consumers of cotton crops after Asia-Pacific and North America. However, the production of cotton in Europe is negligible as compared to the US and China. Greece is the largest producer and exporter of cotton in the region, followed by Spain.

 Market Dynamics

Europe contributes only 1% of the total global cotton; production comes mainly from Greece and Spain. The total area harvested for cotton production in the region is 302,000 hectares. Out of this area, around 250,000 hectare is in Greece and 48,000 hectares in Spain. The area has decreased drastically from the previous year by 30,000 hectares. In 2013, the EU cotton production was estimated to be less than 300,000 metric tons. Greece represents around 85% of the total Europe production, while Spain produces the remaining 15%.

The EU market is completely open, with no import duties and export subsidies on cotton. The increased domestic consumption has made the market import-driven. However, the import of cotton has decreased in the last decade from 870,000 tons in 2002, to 132,000 tons in 2012. The major export of cotton in the region is accounted for by Greece with a total export of 218,000 metric tons in 2015, up 11% from the previous year. In addition, Europe provides some crop-specific payment for cotton, limited to a certain base area in the member states to avoid production being abandoned in the region where cotton is most important for the agricultural economy.

Key Players in the European Cotton Market

The major suppliers of cotton are Supima, Fiabila SA, Kalestesia S.A, and Lavrentiadis SA, among others.  These companies are actively participating in the entire value chain from sourcing, shipping, and logistics management to marketing and distribution, placing significant emphasis on the quality of the cotton.

The Europe cotton market report covers the following information –

  • Cotton production
  • European consumption
  • European trade (export-import) scenario and statistics
  • Major enterprises and traders operating in the market
  • Price trend and seasonality of the crop
  • Future outlook of the crop market

Stakeholders who would benefit -

  • Cotton growers
  • Enterprises providing agricultural inputs
  • Traders and companies operating in the segment
  • Crop processing companies
  • Crop importers and exporters
  • Investors/research institutions interested in the crop market

Looking to buy the report?

Want some specific customizations?

Our clients include:

prev-arrow
next-arrow

Looking to Customize Report?

Please Enter Email ID

Please Enter Message