Fastest Growing Market:
The electronic shelf label market was valued at USD 690 million in 2019, and is expected to reach a value of USD 2036.8 million by 2025, witnessing a CAGR of 21.19% over the forecast period of 2020-2025.
- High accuracy and reduction in labor cost (compared to the conventional label changing) are boosting the growth of the market. These factors have significantly reduced the risk of human error by ensuring potential pricing compliances. The clients lose trust in a company, if the in-store prices do not align with the online display (as this is often the reality they encounter). Electronic shelf label helps to fix the price errors.
- NFC penetration in the industry is expected to gain momentum over the coming years, owing to the increasing adoption of NFC technology in multiple devices, such as POS systems and smartphones. This allows the retailers to integrate these devices with the existing handheld devices for lowering the overall installation cost of these labels. This acts as a key driver for the growth of market.
- However, the high initial investments required to set up these products in stores as well as less knowledge about the usefulness of the ESL system are the major restraining factors for the growth of the electronic shelf label market.
Scope of the Report
Electronic Shelf Label (ESL) is used by retailers to display product pricing on shelves. The product pricing is automatically updated (whenever the price gets changed) from a central control server. The ESL market based on store type is dominated by hypermarkets, owing to the complications associated with the manual management of such big stores. This factor is leading to the high rate of adoption of these labels in the hypermarkets.
| By Product |
| ||LCD ESLs |
| ||E-paper ESLs |
| By Store Type |
| ||Hyper Markets |
| ||Super Markets |
| ||Specialty Stores and Non-food Retail Stores |
| Geography |
| ||North America |
| ||Europe |
| ||Asia-Pacific |
| ||Latin America |
| ||Middle East & Africa |
Report scope can be customized per your requirements. Click here.
Key Market Trends
NFC Mobile Payment is Owing to Increase the Market in Retail Sector
- Due to increase in the NFC (Near Field Communication) enabled smartphone technology, the use of NFC in electronic shelf labels is growing in retail sector, as it is energy-efficient and cost effective. Near Field Communication (NFC) is embedded and uses proximity to create simplified transactions, data exchange, and brief connections. Prior to purchase, NFC-enabled smart packages and signage can provide timely product information and even real-time digital offer to the customers.
- In retail, the NFC technology significantly adds up to standard ESLs, which display the price and facilitate the stock management by enabling price updates at any time. This simplifies the customer interactions via a simple tap on an NFC-enabled smartphone.
- A majority of the customers prefer NFC technology over other digital innovations, such as QR code, and Bluetooth beacon, due to its high speed and improved control on information. This NFC enabled devices help in collecting the details of customers, their shopping interests, and frequently purchased items. This facilitates personalized marketing and, thus, attracts customers to visit again. This factors helps in boosting the growth of the market.
- Casino is a French supermarket that has used NFC tags in front of every product on the shop shelves. Customers can touch the tag with their phones and can view the product info or add the product to their mobile app’s basket. It also provides personalized prices and activates instant promotions.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
North America to Account for a Major Share
- North America is the largest market for electronic shelf labels globally. The huge market in this region can be attributed to the vast presence of retail stores, both small and big, across the region.
- Moreover, favorable government initiatives in the US towards technological innovation and integration of automated products across all industry verticals, specifically in retail automation is boosting the demand for the market.
- The US has been led by retail giants, such as Wal-Mart, driving the upsurge in activity, largely contributing to the market growth in the region. The country has been one of the largest logistics markets in the world.
- The industrial revolution in the US has created large data evolution capabilities to be used in the production processes and integration in supply chain management. The technology aids in enhancing the store operations further developing the industry, by which ESL will improve the performance efficiency of store operations.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report.
The electronic shelf label market is a fairly fragmented market with a few vendors occupying a large share. The key players are E Ink Holding Inc., LG Corporation, Altierre Corporation, etc. the recent developments in the market are :
- May 2019 - E Ink, the leading innovator of electronic ink technology, displayed its latest innovations in color displays, writing films, and new light transmissive films at SID Display Week 2019 from May 14-16, 2019 in San Jose. It enables electronic shelf labels to respond to customer traffic patterns in an accurate manner.
Table Of Contents
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.3 Market Drivers
4.3.1 NFC penetration in POS and Smartphones
4.4 Market Restraints
4.4.1 High Initial Investments
4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. TECHNOLOGY SNAPSHOT
5.1 Communication Technology (RF, NFC, IR etc.)
5.2 Components (Batteries, Display etc.)
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Product
6.1.1 LCD ESLs
6.1.2 E-paper ESLs
6.2 By Store Type
6.2.1 Hyper Markets
6.2.2 Super Markets
6.2.3 Specialty Stores and Non-food Retail Stores
6.3.1 North America
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East & Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Altierre Corporation
7.1.2 Diebold Nixdorf
7.1.3 Display data Ltd
7.1.4 LG Corporation
7.1.5 M2 Communication Inc.
7.1.6 Pricer AB
7.1.7 Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co. Ltd
7.1.9 Wincor Nixdorf AG
7.1.10 AdvanTech Inc.
7.1.11 E ink Holdings Inc.
*List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
** Subject to Availability