Cable Connector Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Cable Connector Market Analysis
The Cable Connector Market is expected to grow by registering a CAGR of 3.6% during the forecast period. The growing demand for media and entertainment and the increasing penetration of the internet across emerging economies led to the increase in the number of television and internet subscribers and users of smartphones, PDAs, and tablets. These factors created an immense demand for cable connector adapters, without which effective networking cannot be established.
- The market for cable connectors is booming, owing to the global digital transition. Reliable connectivity, high performance, and efficiency are the major factors boosting the market's growth. High-performance networks are essential for business, manufacturing, security, and media. Furthermore, cables, such as USB Type-C and HDMI, are hugely popular.
- The growing number of fixed broadband connections over the years has enabled the growth of the market studied. According to ITU, the number of global fixed broadband subscriptions increased significantly in the last five years, which provides an opportunity for the growth of the market studied, as the installation of these connections requires connectors. According to the International Telecommunication Union, the number of fixed broadband connections globally will increase to about 1.3 billion in 2021.
- The use of cable connectors for miniature applications is rapidly growing. Several key markets, including mobile technology, aerospace and defense, and medical technology, drive the market's growth. Smartphones and other handheld devices also require smaller and lower-profile components, including micro-connectors capable of providing very high data speeds. For example, 10 Gbps board-to-board connectors are standard, and some advanced miniature board-to-board connectors can handle up to 20 Gbps. Therefore, the growth of consumer electronics is having a direct impact on the demand for cable connectors.
- Furthermore, most data and power connections use RF connectors and cables, and these trends will likely continue with high-speed data, enterprise networking, and industrial IoT applications. With the adoption of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) increasing in Europe and APAC, the connector companies are turning to newer connectors, such as USB, CAT 5/6/7, HDMI, and DisplayPort, to name a few. For instance, in July 2021, Wurth Elektronik launched WR-UMRF (Ultra-Miniature RF Coaxial Connector), an extremely compact high-frequency coaxial connector.
- However, the factors such as complex fault identification and correction procedure, fluctuation in raw material prices used to manufacture cable connectors, and the development of wireless connectivity technologies such as Bluetooth, and wireless HDMI transmitters, among others, are challenging the growth of the studied market.
- The outbreak of COVID-19 had a notable impact on the growth of the studied market as it led China, along with other countries, to announce a lockdown and practice social isolation during the initial phase. This factor halted the manufacturing and production of numerous pieces of equipment and machinery for several weeks. Furthermore, various restrictions imposed on importing and exporting critical raw materials and industrial equipment significantly disrupted the supply chain. However, the market is expected to regain momentum with restrictions lifted in almost all parts of the world.
Cable Connector Industry Segments
Cables and connectors are connectivity devices that are used to transmit data, signals, and power supply for electronic devices across different industries. Connectors are also referred to as input-output connectors and form the interface for linking electronic devices with the help of cables.
The report offers a comprehensive analysis of the demand and supply as well as current and future trends of the cable connectors market. The studied market has been segmented by type, end-user vertical, and geography. The study also includes the impact assessment of COVID-19 on the cable connectors market.
|Fiber Optic Connectors|
|By End-user Vertical|
|IT and Telecom|
|Consumer Electronics (Including Computer, Peripherals, and Business Equipment)|
|Other End -user Verticals (Submarine, Aerospace, Energy and Power, and Medical)|
|Middle East and Africa|
Cable Connector Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Cable Connector Market according to our research experts:
Automotive Sector is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- The automotive sector is projected to witness a strong demand for connectors, aided by the adoption of highly advanced electronic systems, such as audio controls, driver assistance systems, diagnostic systems, cruise control, and infotainment systems. Moreover, the increasing popularity of electric vehicles is expected to boost the market's growth. Some of the significant market trends in the segment include innovations and design improvements to meet the quality and reliability standards of devices, demand for versatile miniature connectors, the popularity of RoHS - compliant, UL recognized, and IP -rated connectors, as well as intelligent connectors with EMI/RFI suppression features.
- New automotive technologies have altered the ways cars are wired. The critical electrical components are required to reliably transmit power, signal, and data in certified conditions. The hybrid electric and electric vehicle has expanded the vision for applying robust connector technology from race cars to robotics in the form of autonomous vehicles. This has led to a significant development in design, material, as well as cable connectors.
- Considering the growing demand for connectors that can fulfill the requirements of modern automobiles, the vendors offering cable connectors are increasingly focusing on developing innovative products. For instance, in December 2021, Hirose Electric developed a new wire-to-board connector, the GT50 Series. This small and robust product series has a 1mm pitch and heat resistance up to 125-degree celsius, making it ideal for use in automotive applications.
- The recent shift in the automotive industry's trend wherein electric vehicles are fast replacing the traditional ICE vehicles is also expected to support the growth of the studied market as these vehicles contain more sensors and electronic components, expanding the use cases for connectors. For instance, according to the International Energy Agency, the global number of battery electric vehicles in use has increased from 1.2 million in 2016 to 11.3 million in 2021.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Expected to Witness the Fastest Growth Rate
- The continuous advancements in communication technologies and the growth of other end-user industries in the Asia Pacific region are among the significant factors boosting the development of the cable connectors market. Moreover, the support by IT and communications for automated processes in industrial applications have facilitated easier adoption among manufacturers.
- Sensor components, faster networks, flexible interfaces with high levels of reliability and secured hierarchical access, and error-correction options added to productivity, continued quality deliveries and minimized manufacturing costs in the region. Furthermore, with IoT at the center of new technological approaches for the development, production, and the entire logistics chain (otherwise known as intelligent factory automation), the adoption of cable connectors is expected to increase significantly in the region.
- For instance, according to the GSMA estimates, there will be 13.8 billion IIoT connections globally by 2025. Greater China is expected to account for around 4.1 billion connections or a third of the global market. In June 2021, the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) released its Industrial Internet 2021 Work Plan, detailing its goal to expand further the country's 5G network and the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT). Such trends are also expected to create further growth opportunities as increased deployment of electronic components such as sensors and optic fiber cables will drive the demand for cable connectors.
- Furthermore, the growing number of data centers and rising demand for higher bandwidth drive the need for cables and connectors. China is highly focused on taking the lead over global peers in data center construction, with larger enterprises looking to scale up their data centers to ensure stability and reliability of data services, such as the application of 5G, wearable devices, the internet of things, and artificial intelligence spurs a burgeoning demand for computing power.
- The growth of the automotive sector is also expected to be a vital contributor to the development of the cable connectors market in the Asia Pacific region. For instance, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM), about 2.9 million battery electric vehicles will be sold in China in 2021.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Cable Connector Market Competitor Analysis
The Cable Connector Market is fragmented. The relatively lower initial investment requirement enables new players to enter the market quickly. Moreover, acquisitions have been a critical trend in the market over the years as the bigger players are using this to reduce competition and further expand their market presence. Some key players include Amphenol Corporation, Fujitsu Limited, TE Connectivity Limited, and Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.
- September 2022 - Amphenol RF expanded its AUTOMATE Type A MiniFAKRA product series with pre-configured cable assemblies. According to the company, these assemblies feature a straight quad port miniFAKRA jack on both ends and are designed for low-loss TFC302LL. Furthermore, these connectors are constructed with a closed entry cable interface which limits the size of mating parts to prevent contact damage during mating.
- July 2022 - TTI, Inc., a leading specialty distributor of electronic components, announced that it is stocking the Industrial Mini-I/O connectors from TE Connectivity. The Mini I/O range of connectors provides excellent shock, vibration, shock, and EMI resistance, in a compact size and delivers reliable high performance in rugged industrial applications. The development will expand the reach of TE Connectivity to new customers.
Cable Connector Market Top Players
TE Connectivity Limited
Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.
Axon Cable S.A.S
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Cable Connector Market Recent Developments
- November 2021 - TE Connectivity announced the launch of new connectors that are designed to work with robots and UAVs. To protect the unit from extreme environments, the connector is encased in a high-temperature rated plastic assembly. The connector is also outfitted with contact position locks to secure the housing during high and frequent vibration events.
- September 2021 - Amphenol ICC and eTopus Technology announced the development of a 112Gb/s interconnect technology built on their products. The interconnect used 112Gb/s four-level pulse amplitude modulation (PAM4) technology to pack the maximum bandwidth into each communication channel. The technology has been validated with Amphenol's ExaMax2 connector and 1-meter copper cable.
Cable Connector Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Growing Advancements In The Telecom Sector Coupled With Greater Demand for Improved Connectivity
5.1.2 Increasing Demand for High Bandwidth
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Volatile Prices of Raw Material
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Type
6.1.1 PCB Connectors
6.1.2 Circular/Rectangular Connectors
6.1.3 Fiber Optic Connectors
6.1.4 IO Connectors
6.1.5 Other Types
6.2 By End-user Vertical
6.2.1 IT and Telecom
6.2.3 Consumer Electronics (Including Computer, Peripherals, and Business Equipment)
6.2.5 Other End -user Verticals (Submarine, Aerospace, Energy and Power, and Medical)
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Amphenol Corporation
7.1.2 Molex Inc. (Koch Industries)
7.1.3 Fujitsu Limited
7.1.4 Prysmian SpA
7.1.5 Nexans SA
7.1.6 TE Connectivity Limited
7.1.7 3M Company
7.1.8 Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd
7.1.9 Axon Cable SAS
7.1.10 Alcatel-Lucent SA
7.1.11 Aptiv PLC
7.1.12 Yazaki Corporation
7.1.13 Huber+Suhner AG
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Cable Connector Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Cable Connector Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Cable Connector Market?
The Cable Connector Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.6% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Cable Connector Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2018 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in Cable Connector Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Cable Connector Market?
Amphenol Corporation, TE Connectivity Limited, Fujitsu Limited, Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd., Axon Cable S.A.S are the major companies operating in Cable Connector Market.
Cable Connector Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Cable Connector sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Cable Connector research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Cable Connector report PDF.