|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Middle-East and Africa|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The butadiene market size was estimated at 12,432 kiloton in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 3.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Considering the ongoing pandemic scenario, the automotive manufacturing units and building construction projects were temporarily halted. Thus, this negatively impacted the demand for styrene-butadiene and polybutadiene rubber, which are used in tires, building crack fillers, concrete additives, etc., which declined the demand for butadiene. However, the use of protective gloves made from nitrile rubber has increased in the current situation, thus stimulating the demand for the butadiene market.
- Over the short term, the developing downstream market in Asia-Pacific is expected to drive the market’s growth.
- Polybutadiene dominated the market holding a share of almost 30%. However, the acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) segment is expected to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
- The innovation of bio-butadiene to produce products like synthetic rubber, thermoplastic elastomers, nylon, etc., is likely to create opportunities for the market in the coming years.
Scope of the Report
Butadiene, a colorless, non-corrosive gas, is used for the production of resins and plastics, including butadiene rubber, styrene rubber, adiponitrile, polychloroprene, nitrile rubber, and others. It is mainly produced from the extractive distillation of by-products from steam crackers while producing ethylene and propylene. The butadiene market is segmented by application, end-user industry, and region. By application, the market is segmented into polybutadiene (PBR), chloroprene, styrene-butadiene (SBR), nitrile rubber (acrylonitrile butadiene NBR), acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), adiponitrile, sulfolane, ethylidene norbornene, styrene butadiene latex, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into plastic and polymer, tire and rubber, chemical, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the butadiene market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Nitrile Rubber (Acrylonitrile Butadiene NBR)|
|Styrene Butadiene Latex|
|Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)|
|Plastic and Polymer|
|Tire and Rubber|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Polybutadiene (PBR) to Dominate the Market
- The automotive industry relies on PBR for non-tire applications, such as hoses, belts, gaskets, and other automotive components, because of its high resistance to cold temperatures.
- The increasing number of automobiles across the world and the increasing demand for PBR for numerous applications are expected to stimulate the growth of the global butadiene market. However, the recent downfall in automobile production and sales is likely to hinder the market growth.
- PBR consumption is dominated by Northeast Asia, particularly China. West Europe and North America are the next largest consumer regions for PBR.
- As of Q3 2019, about 67.47 million vehicles were produced globally, and this value reached about 52 million vehicles in Q3 2020, registering a decline rate of about 23%. Thus, this led to a decrease in the demand for PBR-based automotive parts like hoses and belts, which, in turn, negatively impacts the market growth of butadiene.
- On the supply side, the PBR plants in Asia are running at full rates to meet the strong demand. Deep-sea supplies from Europe and the Middle East are also expected to head to Asia in order to help meet the strong demand.
- Leading producers of PBR around the world include Saudi Arabian Oil Co., KUMHO PETROCHEMICAL, Michelin, Zeon Corporation, Petkim Petrokimya Holding AS, Petrochim, and TSRC.
- Owing to all these factors, the market for butadiene is likely to grow globally during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region dominated the global butadiene market. The downstream market in Asia-Pacific witnessed a huge spur in the past few years, owing to which the demand for butadiene has witnessed a rapid increase due to its requirement.
- China has achieved some milestones in shale gas exploration, both in capacity and drilling techniques, making it one of the top shale gas suppliers worldwide.
- India, with the support of the United States, is working on developing the shale gas exploration in its coastal regions, with US companies joining the exploration process. India has recoverable shale gas reserves, which are estimated to have a capacity of 96 trillion cubic feet (tcf), mainly in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Rajasthan. The Krishna-Godavari Basin, located in eastern India, holds the country’s largest shale gas reserves, extending over 7,800 gross square miles, with a prospective area of 4,340 square miles.
- Apart from this, the Asia-Pacific region is the largest producer of vehicles across the world. Butadiene is used to produce intermediates like styrene-butadiene (SBR) and others, which are further used to manufacture automotive products include tires, conveyor belts, etc.
- In 2019, the total volume of tires produced in India was about 191.98 million, with a growth rate of about 7.5% compared to the previous year, which, in turn, stimulates the demand for the butadiene market.
- As of Q3 2019, China had produced 18.17 million vehicles and reached 16.96 million vehicles by Q3 2020, registering a decline rate of about 6.66%, which, in turn, has led to a decrease in the consumption of parts made up of styrene-butadiene (SBR) and others, thus creating a negative effect on the regional butadiene market growth.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to show a significant impact on the market in the coming years.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The butadiene market is fragmented, and the top five players account for a market share of ~30% of the total production capacity. Some of these major players include China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation, TPC Group, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, and LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV, among others.
- In August 2019, Lion Elastomers completed the acquisition of the Firestone Orange facility based in Texas of the United States, which produces polybutadiene, styrene-butadiene block copolymers, and solution styrene-butadiene rubber, thus, enhancing the company’s product portfolio.
- In August 2018, Saudi Arabian Oil Co. agreed to acquire the remaining 50% stake in ARLANXEO Joint Venture from LANXESS, which has enhanced its C4-based chemical business, including butadiene.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Developing Downstream Market in Asia-Pacific
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Hazardous Effects Caused by Butadiene
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the Impact of COVID-19
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Feedstock Analysis
4.6 Technological Snapshot
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size by Volume)
5.1.1 Polybutadiene (PBR)
5.1.3 Styrene-Butadiene (SBR)
5.1.4 Nitrile Rubber (Acrylonitrile Butadiene NBR)
5.1.5 Styrene Butadiene Latex
5.1.6 Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)
5.1.9 Ethylidene Norbornene
5.1.10 Other Applications
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Plastic and Polymer
5.2.2 Tire and Rubber
5.2.4 Other End-user Industries
126.96.36.199 South Korea
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
184.108.40.206 United States
220.127.116.11 United Kingdom
18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
126.96.36.199 Saudi Arabia
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BASF SE
6.4.3 China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation
6.4.5 Evonik Industries AG
6.4.6 Exxon Mobil Corporation
6.4.7 Formosa Plastics Group
6.4.9 JSR Corporation
6.4.10 LG Chem
6.4.11 LOTTE CHEMICAL TITAN HOLDING BERHAD
6.4.12 LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV
6.4.13 Reliance Industries Limited
6.4.15 Royal Dutch Shell PLC
6.4.17 Saudi Arabian Oil Co.
6.4.18 TPC Group
6.4.19 Lion Elastomers
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Innovation of Bio-butadiene
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Butadiene Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Butadiene Market?
The Butadiene Market is growing at a CAGR of >3.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Butadiene Market?
Middle-East and Africa is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Butadiene Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Butadiene Market?
China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation, TPC Group, Exxon Mobil Corporation, Royal Dutch Shell PLC, LyondellBasell Industries Holdings B.V. are the major companies operating in Butadiene Market.