|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. Amid the global lockdown situation, automotive production witnessed a decline of approximately 30% in Q3 of 2020, compared to Q3 production in 2019. At the same time, the demand for electronics products such as laptops, mobiles, tablets, and others has increased owning to work from home and online classes, thus, impacting the demand for ABS resin.
- Over the short term, a major factor driving the market is the growing demand from the automotive and transportation sector on account of electric vehicles. However, low compatibility in applications involving a high-temperature application in conventional fuel is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The automotive and transportation industry dominated the market and is expected to grow due to the rising demand for electric vehicles during the forecast period.
- Innovative applications and products are likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- Asia-Pacific dominated the market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries like China and India.
Scope of the Report
Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin is a thermoplastic polymer, and products manufactured from ABS resin offer properties such as colorability, dimensional stability, toughness, and resistance to high-temperature and scratch. The market is segmented on the basis of end-user industry and geography. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into automotive and transportation, construction, electronics, consumer goods and appliances, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin market in 15 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kiloton).
|Automotive and Transportation|
|Consumer Goods and Appliances|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from the Automotive and Transportation Industry
- The application of polymeric materials in automobiles is constantly increasing, and this trend is expected to continue during the forecast period. The application of polymeric materials allows more freedom in design and offers a safe geometrical and economical solution for the construction of parts.
- ABS is used in every area of an automobile, in internal parts, parts of the engine compartment, external parts, and bodywork. Moreover, airplane panels and luggage compartments are often made of ABS plastic. It is highly suitable for vacuum forming, so it can be manipulated into a wide variety of shapes. Its heavy-duty strength and lightweight density make it the perfect application for airplane interior parts. They are also used in aircraft doors and fuselages.
- In railways, ABS sheets are extensively used in the manufacturing of seatbacks, window masks, and ceiling panels. Additionally, countries like China and India are spending on new advanced and high-speed railcars driving the demand for ABS sheets on ceiling application.
- It is primarily used for the manufacturing of housings, covers, and linings that are used in the automobile and aerospace industries and in the railways due to their various beneficial properties.
- It offers toughness, strength, and rigidity. They are opaque and have a high surface polish level. When they are exposed to weather, there is a reduction in the surface gloss.
- They also possess excellent heat and flame-resistant properties and electrical insulation. They are used in bumpers, seating, dashboard, interior trim, exterior trim, lighting, and dashboard.
- Additionally, companies like the AUDI AG have planned to launch 12 different electric automobiles by 2025. Moreover, by 2040, the demand for electric vehicles is expected to reach 45 million, much above the demand for conventionally fueled vehicles.
- The global automotive industry has witnessed a downfall in recent times. According to the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), automotive production witnessed a 5.2% decline from 96,869,020 units in 2018 to 91,786,861 units in 2019. Also, the sales of automobiles declined in 2019 by around 95.06 million units in 2018 to 91.29 million units in 2019.
- Even before the outbreak of COVID-19, major manufacturers, such as General Motors, Ford, and Honda, cut back production owing to the continuous declining sales rate in the United States market.
- However, the ongoing growth in the global transportation industry and rising sale of electric vehicles, along with the focus on minimizing carbon emission and enhancing fuel economy by reducing the weight of a vehicle, is expected to drive the market for ABS resin during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- The market for ABS witnessed rapid growth in the Asia-Pacific region, owing to the increased replacement of traditional plastics by ABS in the growing automotive sector.
- In the Asia-Pacific region, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP. The country witnessed about 6.1% growth in its GDP during 2019, despite the trade disturbances caused due to its trade war with the United States.
- The appliance market in China is expected to grow with the growth of the middle-class population, thereby driving the ABS market in the country. The growth of the market is also the result of the increased purchasing power of consumers in China and India and the resultant increase in the sales of consumer durables.
- The Chinese aerospace policy represents one of the most comprehensive attempts to enter the top levels of aerospace development and production. China is expected to be the world's largest single‐country market for civil aircraft sales over the next 20 years.
- Furthermore, Boeing predicted that China might purchase USD 1.1 trillion worth of new aircraft by 2036 after the company made sales of USD 37 billion in the country. The aircraft parts and assembly manufacturing sector in the country is also growing at a rapid pace, with the presence of over 200 small aircraft part manufacturers. According to Boeing, the country needs around 8,090 new planes by 2038. Thus, the need for new planes is expected to propel the country's aircraft manufacturing sector.
- The Indian automotive industry faced its worst year in 2019, as it witnessed the worst-ever downturn of two decades, with passenger vehicle sales sliding sharply on the back of declining demand. Overall vehicle sales in 2019 declined by 13.77% to 23,073,438 units (compared to 2018 sales that recorded the sale of 26,758,787 units).
- The decline in demand and inventory piling up with the automotive producer led to a further decline in domestic automotive production. This declining trend has further continued in 2020 due to COVID-19, which has affected both production and sales in the country. However, in 2021, the country expects to witness growth, especially through increased electric vehicle sales, which may positively influence the demand in the studied market.
- The electrical and electronics industry in Japan is one of the world’s leading industries. Consumer electronics account for one-third of the Japanese economic output. The country is a world leader in terms of the production of computers, gaming stations, cell phones, and various other key computer components. The total production of the Japanese electronics industry was around JPY 687,482 million in May 2020.
- The Japanese construction industry is expected to be blooming, owing to the events to be hosted in the country. Tokyo planned to host the Olympics in 2021 (postponed due to the pandemic in 2020 and may get postponed in 2021 as well), and Osaka will host the World Expo in 2025. The construction in Japan is mostly driven by redevelopment and recovery from natural disasters. However, the pandemic and lockdown situations during 2020 may lead to delayed completion of such planned investments and projects over the first half of the forecast period.
- Additionally, rising consumer awareness regarding physical health is driving the demand for fitness trackers, sports watch, gym equipment, and others, positively impacting the demand for ABS resin in the region.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin market is partially fragmented in nature. Some of these key players include BASF SE, 3M, Covestro AG, INEOS, and SABIC.
- In January 2021, INEOS announced the construction of a demonstration polymerization plant for acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) resin from recycled plastics. This initiative is in line with the implementation of the circular economy by the European Union Commission.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Focus on Lightweight Automobiles
4.1.2 Increasing Usage in Electronics and Consumer Goods
4.2.1 Availability of Substitutes for ABS
4.2.2 Impact of the COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Raw Material Analysis
4.6 Trade Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 End-user Industry
5.1.1 Automotive and Transportation
5.1.4 Consumer Goods and Appliances
5.1.5 Other End-user Industries
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.2.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.2.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.2.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 BASF SE
6.4.3 Covestro AG
6.4.5 Formosa Chemicals & Fibre Corp.
6.4.7 LG Chem
6.4.8 LyondellBasell Industries Holdings BV
6.4.10 TEIJIN LIMITED
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Innovative Applications and Products
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market?
The Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market is growing at a CAGR of >4% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market?
3M, INEOS, SABIC, BASF SE, Covestro AG are the major companies operating in Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) Resin Market.