APAC LED Packaging Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
APAC LED Packaging Market Analysis
The Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market has registered a CAGR of 6.7% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. Since the outbreak of Covid-19, various businesses have been facing challenges pertaining to the supply chain. The LED industry is no exception, as a prominent share of the raw materials for the production of LEDs and drivers originate from the Asia Pacific region, which significantly affected the industry as the region was under the severe clutches of the pandemic.
- The LED technology has been capturing the imagination of the lighting industry by offering small and efficient lighting solutions to a diverse set of consumers with enhanced efficiency. Innovations in the industry are saturated, and at the same time, the market has overcapacity. For TV display applications, the industry is moving from OLED to QLED (Quantum dot Light-emitting diode), which is the latest innovation. This is expected to penetrate more into the market.
- The production costs of QLED displays will be decreased since fixed costs (equipment) are less, and variable costs are relatively less as more units can be produced within a given time. Companies are focusing on operating through economies of scale. As such, the industry is witnessing the consolidation of players/manufacturers of LED packaging.
- In the coming years, rapid advancements in LED package applications are projected to boost innovation and consumption, propelling the LED packaging market. On the other hand, high saturation may limit product acceptance, which, in turn, limits market growth.
- The high competition in the market with players such as Samsung Electronics, Osram, and Nichia is restricting the margin, as there is a continuous decline in prices by players to gain market share.
- Moreover, governmental initiatives are also anticipated to drive the market's growth. For instance, the Indian government's planned to deploy cost-effective LEDs across multiple sectors. The country is on the verge of replacing all its street lamps with LEDs and adopting smart LEDs for traffic signals as well. This move is likely to increase the demand for local LED manufacturers, resulting in the growth of the LED packaging market.
APAC LED Packaging Industry Segments
LED packaging determines the ease of use, product quality and protects the LED components. The scope of the study is limited to hardware product types and their wide area of end-user applications.
|Surface-mount Device (SMD)|
|Chip Scale Package (CSP)|
|By End-user Vertical|
|Other End-user Verticals|
|Rest of Asia Pacific|
APAC LED Packaging Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the APAC LED Packaging Market according to our research experts:
Increasing Demand for Energy-efficiency Significantly Drives the Market
- Owing to the sheer increasing efficiency of LED lighting systems, the Asia-Pacific region has been experiencing a fundamental transition in its deployed lighting systems, with firms in the regions embracing LEDs in multiple sectors.
- Multiple governmental and private initiatives have been driving the need for smart and efficient lighting systems in the modernization and development of infrastructure such as smart cities across the region, which directly boosts the market for LED packages in the region.
- Government initiatives for energy efficiency in the Asia Pacific region immensely contribute to the development of the LED packaging market. Several Government schemes and plans are in progress in countries such as India and China to promote energy efficiency. Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) initiative by the Indian Government to encourage energy efficiency in the country launched in 2015 has already distributed more than 36 crores LED light bulbs as of August 2021.
- The increase in the adoption of high-end consumer electronics, like wearable and smartphones in China, Japan, Inda, among others, also significantly increases the demand for micro-LED and flash LED packages, which tend to be significantly efficient as compared to previous generation displays.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Chip Scale Package (CSP) is Expected to Grow Significantly Over the Forecast Period
- A chip scale package (CSP) LED package has a close-ratio between the volume of the LED chip and the total volume of the LED package. It is essentially a bare LED die on which a phosphor layer is coated, with the underside of the die metalized with the P and N contacts to form the electrical connection and thermal path.
- The growing demand for CSP LED architecture is the latest incarnation of flip-chip LEDs and prevents light loss due to the mounting of electrode pad on the upside of the P-type GaN layer while improving heat transfer efficiency and package reliability.
- Vendors in the market are introducing new products to maintain their competitive advantage. For instance, Samsung introduced LM101B CSP LEDs that use a film phosphor in the conversion layer to reduce surface roughness and enable uniform control of thickness with small color dispersion. The fillet-enhanced CSP (FEC) technology forms TiO₂ (Titanium dioxide) walls around the chip surface to reflect its light output toward the top, enabling the mid-power CSP to deliver an industry-leading efficacy of up to 205 lm/W (65mA, CRI 80+, 5000K).
- Moreover, some of the vendors offer Chip Scale Package (CSP) LEDs to a specific application. For instance, OSRAM designs CSP LEDs for high-class retail lighting in brand fashion boutiques and jewelry stores. Professional designs for customized CoB and small luminaires are the main applications being supported by CSP.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
APAC LED Packaging Market Competitor Analysis
The Asia Pacific LED packaging market is competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. These major players with prominent shares in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries as well by leveraging strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and profitability.
- July 2021: OSRAM partnered with ViewSonic for more possibilities in developing LED projectors by using OSRAM’s Ostar Projection Power LED as a light source for ViewSonic LS600W and achieving a brightness of up to 3,000 ANSI lumens, providing exceptional performance in different use cases.
APAC LED Packaging Market Top Players
OSRAM Licht AG
Seoul Semiconductor Co. Ltd
Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
APAC LED Packaging Market Recent Developments
- May 2021: Seoul Semiconductor Co., in cooperation with GreenHouseKeeper, a company in the horticulture and plants research field in France, developed a new and innovative solution for optimal horticulture LED lighting design for INRAE laboratories in France.
APAC LED Packaging Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Increasing Demand for Smart Lighting Solutions
4.5.2 Increasing Demand for Energy-efficiency
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 Lack of Awareness and Higher Capital Investment
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.1.1 Chip-on-board (COB)
5.1.2 Surface-mount Device (SMD)
5.1.3 Chip Scale Package (CSP)
5.2 By End-user Vertical
5.2.3 Other End-user Verticals
5.3 By Country
5.3.5 Rest of Asia Pacific
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd
6.1.2 OSRAM Litch AG
6.1.3 Cree, Inc.
6.1.4 Nichia Corporation
6.1.5 Seoul Semiconductor Co. Ltd
6.1.6 Stanley Electric Co. Ltd
6.1.7 Everlight Electronics Co. Ltd
6.1.8 Toyoda Gosei Co.
6.1.9 Citizen Electronics Co. Ltd
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
APAC LED Packaging Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market?
The Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market?
Nichia Corporation, OSRAM Licht AG, Seoul Semiconductor Co. Ltd, Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd, Cree LED are the major companies operating in Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market.
Asia Pacific LED Packaging Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the Asia Pacific LED Packaging sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The Asia Pacific LED Packaging research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the Asia Pacific LED Packaging report PDF.