Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Asia Pacific LED Packaging Market has registered a CAGR of 6.7% over the forecast period 2021 - 2026. The LED technology has captured the imagination of the lighting industry, by offering small and efficient lighting solutions to a diverse set of consumers, with enhanced efficiency.
- Innovations in the industry is saturated and at the same time, the market has overcapacity. For TV display applications, the industry is moving from OLED to QLED (Quantum dot Light-emitting diode), which is the latest innovation. This is expected to penetrate more into the market.
- The production costs of QLED displays will be decreased since fixed costs (equipment) are less and variable costs are relatively less as more units can be produced within a given time. Companies are focusing on operating through economies of scale. As such the industry is witnessing consolidation of players/manufacturers of LED packaging.
- In the coming years, rapid advancements in LED package applications are projected to boost innovation and consumption, propelling the LED packaging market. On the other hand, high saturation may limit product acceptance, which, in turn, limits market growth.
- The high competition in the market with players such as Samsung Electronics, Osram, and Nichia is restricting the margin, as there is a continuous decline in prices by players to gain market share.
- Since the outbreak of Covid-19, various businesses faced challenges pertaining to the supply chain. The LED industry is no exception; as a prominent share of the raw materials for the production of LEDs and drivers originate from Asia Pacific region, which significantly effected the industry as the region was under the severe clutches of the pandemic.
Scope of the report
LED packaging determines the ease of use, product quality, and protects the LED components. The scope of the study is limited to hardware product types and their wide area of end-user applications.
|Surface-mount Device (SMD)|
|Chip Scale Package (CSP)|
|Other End-user Verticals|
|Rest of Asia-Pacific|
Key Market Trends
Energy efficient applications increase the demand in the studied market
- Due to the sheer increasing efficiency of LED lighting systems, the Asia-Pacific area is now experiencing a fundamental transition in lighting systems, with firms in these regions embracing LEDs in their sectors.
- Many government and private initiatives drive the need for smart and efficient lighting in the modernization and development of infrastructure such as smart cities across the Asia Pacific, which directly boosts the market for LED packages in the region.
- Government initiatives for energy efficiency in the Asia Pacific region immensely contribute to the development of the LED packaging market. Several Government schemes and plans are in progress in countries such as India and China to promote energy efficiency. Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) initiative by the Indian Government to encourage energy efficiency in the country launched in 2015 has already distributed more than 36 crores LED light bulbs as of August 2021.
- The increase in the adoption of high-end consumer electronics, like wearable and smartphones in China and Japan, increases the demand for micro-LED and flash LED packages which tend to be significantly efficient compared to previous generation displays.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Chip Scale Package (CSP) is Expected to Grow Significantly during the Forecast Period
- A chip scale package (CSP) LED package has a close ratio between the volume of the LED chip and the total volume of the LED package. It is essentially a bare LED die on which a phosphor layer is coated, with the underside of the die metalized with the P and N contacts to form the electrical connection and thermal path.
- The growing demand for CSP LED architecture is the latest incarnation of flip-chip LEDs and prevents light loss due to the mounting of electrode pad on the upside of the P-type GaN layer while improving heat transfer efficiency and package reliability.
- Vendors in the market are introducing new products to maintain their competitive advantage. For instance, Samsung introduced LM101B CSP LEDs that use a film phosphor in the conversion layer to reduce surface roughness and enable uniform control of thickness with small color dispersion. The fillet-enhanced CSP (FEC) technology forms TiO₂ (Titanium dioxide) walls around the chip surface to reflect its light output toward the top, allowing the mid-power CSP delivers an industry-leading efficacy of up to 205 lm/W (65mA, CRI 80+, 5000K).
- Moreover, some of the vendors offer Chip Scale Package (CSP) LEDs to specific application. For instance, OSRAM design CSP LEDs for high class retail lighting in brand fashion boutiques and jewelry stores. Professional designs for customized CoB and small luminaires are the main applications being supported by CSP.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Asia Pacific LED packaging market is competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. These major players with prominent shares in the market are focusing on expanding their customer base across foreign countries by leveraging on strategic collaborative initiatives to increase their market share and profitability.
- July 2021: OSRAM partnered with ViewSonic for more possibilities in developing LED projectors, by using OSRAM’s Ostar Projection Power LED as a light source for ViewSonic LS600W and achieve a brightness of up to 3,000 ANSI lumens, providing exceptional performance in different use cases.
- May 2021: Seoul Semiconductor Co. in cooperation with GreenHouseKeeper, a company in the horticulture and plants research field in France, developed a new and innovative solution for optimal horticulture LED lighting design for INRAE laboratories in France.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Assessment of Impact of COVID-19 on the Industry
4.5 Market Drivers
4.5.1 Growing Demand for High Speed Network
4.5.2 Increasing Demand for Energy-efficiency
4.6 Market Restraints
4.6.1 Lack of Awarness and Higher Capital Investment.
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Chip-on-board (COB)
5.1.2 Surface-mount Device (SMD)
5.1.3 Chip Scale Package (CSP)
5.2 End-user Vertical
5.2.3 Other End-user Verticals
5.3.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles*List Not Exhaustive
7. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The APAC LED Packaging Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of APAC LED Packaging Market?
The APAC LED Packaging Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.7% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in APAC LED Packaging Market?
Nichia Corporation, Samsung Corporation, OSRAM Licht AG, Cree, Inc., Seoul Semiconductor Co. Ltd are the major companies operating in APAC LED Packaging Market.