ASEAN Power EPC Market Size
|2020 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2020 - 2022
|> 6.00 %
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
ASEAN Power EPC Market Analysis
The ASEAN power EPC market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 6% during the forecast period, 2022-2027. The Covid-19 pandemic had a moderate impact on the power EPC market across the region, leading to delays in multiple power projects. Still, all the operations were resumed, augmenting the market size. Factors such as the rapidly growing population and increasing power consumption are the key factors resulting in the growth of the power market. With soaring power demand, numerous new projects are under construction and planning stages, which, in turn, is expected to boost the power EPC market. In addition, the surging adoption of renewable energy sources and the supportive initiatives by the government are expected to drive the EPC market across the region. However, low domestic investments and slow processing of tenders are likely to restrain the market growth during the forecast period.
- The renewables power segment is likely to see significant growth during the forecast period due to the rising focus on adopting renewable energy sources in a bid to reduce carbon emissions across the region.
- The energy demand in the ASEAN is expected to grow by approximately two-thirds between 2019 and 2040, thereby leading to massive investment in new energy generation, distribution, and transmission, creating surplus market opportunities for the EPC market players in the coming years.
- Indonesia, the largest economy in Southeast Asia, witnessed the highest power generation in 2021. The country is expected to dominate the power generation EPC market during the forecast period.
ASEAN Power EPC Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the ASEAN Power EPC Market according to our research experts:
Renewables Power Source to Witness Significant Growth
- The ASEAN is one of the fastest-growing regions globally in terms of electricity demand. According to the International Energy Agency (IEA), the electricity demand has grown significantly by more than 6% annually over the past 20 years on average. Of the region's ten countries, the four largest by electricity consumption, Indonesia (26%), Viet Nam (22%), Thailand (19%), and Malaysia (15%), make up more than 80% of the total demand in the region.
- To have clean and efficient power sources, the ASEAN has set an ambitious target of securing 23% of its primary energy from renewable sources and a 35% share in installed capacity by 2025. These efforts, in turn, are expected to provide a significant boost to the ASEAN power EPC market under renewable sources.
- In 2021, Vietnam's total installed wind energy capacity has reached about 4.11 GW. Further, the Vietnamese government has set an accelerating target to reach 11.80 GW by 2025, which is anticipated to boost the power generation EPC market in the country.
- Likewise, the favorable government policies introduced by the Malaysian government to ramp up the renewable power share across the country are likely to increase the power EPC market. Moreover, the net metering 3.0 program introduced by the country to encourage the deployment of solar power systems in the residential and commercial sectors is expected to increase the demand for the power EPC market.
- In Thailand, with 7,902 MW in 2015 and 11,885 MW in 2021, the country's cumulative installed renewable energy capacity has seen massive developments. Further, with the upcoming projects, the share of renewable energy in power generation is expected to grow significantly in the coming years.
- Furthermore, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) plans to build 2.7 GW of floating solar power capacity on the dam reservoirs by 2037. These goals are likely to generate plenty of opportunities to drive the EPC market in the future.
- Hence, based on the above-mentioned factors, the renewable power source segment is expected to see considerable growth during the forecast period.
Indonesia to Dominate the Market
- Indonesia is one of the largest economies in the ASEAN region. The country's electricity sector relies primarily on fossil fuels for electricity generation, particularly lignite and bituminous coal. Although not the same as coal, natural gas is also likely to remain an integral part of the country's energy mix. In 2021, the total electricity generation capacity in Indonesia reached 74GW witnessing a 2% rise from 72.8 GW in 2020, in which the majority of the capacity is from fossil fuels.
- The Indonesian Government introduced a new Electricity Procurement Plan (RUPTL), under which the country aims to add 4.7 GW of solar power capacity by 2030 and is planning to source 51.6% of its added power capacity from renewable sources under a new masterplan. Such ambitious plans are expected to see massive developments in the country's power EPC market in the renewable sector.
- Moreover, in 2021, the country has invested USD 1.4 billion in the renewable energy sector, increasing 3% from USD 1.36 billion in 2020. Further, according to the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources of Indonesia, the country is targeting to double the investment values in renewable energy to 3 billion U.S. dollars in 2022. Hence, the rising investment trend in the renewable energy sector across Indonesia is anticipated to increase the power EPC market growth in the coming years.
- The Indonesian Government is also planning to phase out coal power plants with nuclear reactors to decrease carbon emissions and increase the power generation from nuclear power plants. However, the country has immense potential for generating nuclear energy across the region compared to any other country in the ASEAN region.
- Hence, based on the above-mentioned factors, Indonesia is expected to dominate the ASEAN power EPC market during the forecast period.
ASEAN Power EPC Industry Overview
The ASEAN power EPC power market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major companies include Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Hyundai Engineering Co. Ltd., Sumitomo Corporation, Toshiba Corporation, and Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co., Ltd.
ASEAN Power EPC Market Leaders
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd.
Hyundai Engineering Co. Ltd.
Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co., Ltd.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
ASEAN Power EPC Market News
- In December 2021, Solar Philippines Nueva Ecija Corporation (SPNEC), a major project developer based in the Philippines, started constructing the first 50 MW unit of a 500 MW solar PV facility. The first 50 MW is planned to be commissioned by the end of 2022 and the rest of the project by 2023.
- In October 2021, Mitsubishi Power, a subsidiary of Japanese company Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, announced that it had started the commercial operations of a 500 megawatt (MW) natural gas turbine in Indonesia's Muara Karang Power Plant. The newly built natural gas-fired gas turbine combined cycle (GTCC) power generation system was developed for the Muara Karang Power Plant run by the state utility Perusahaan Listrik Nasional (PLN), located 10 km northwest of Jakarta.
- In March 2022, San Miguel Corp. (SMC) plans to build two gas-fired power stations in the central Philippines for 60 billion Pesos ( USD 1.14 billion). SMC had proposed a 4x75 MW combined-cycle power unit in San Carlos City, Negros Oriental province, while SMC's indirect subsidiary Prestige Power will build a 600 MW combined-cycle power plant in Leyte province.
ASEAN Power EPC Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Electricity Generation in Terawatt-hours, by Major Countries, till 2020
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies, Targets and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Conventional Thermal Power
5.1.2 Renewables Power
5.1.3 Nuclear Power
5.2.6 Rest of the ASEAN Countries
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Hyundai Engineering Co., Ltd.
6.3.2 Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd.
6.3.3 Sumitomo Corporation
6.3.4 Toshiba Corporation
6.3.5 Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co., Ltd.
6.3.6 JGC Holdings Corporation
6.3.7 Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd
6.3.8 Trung Nam Group
6.3.9 IHI Corporation
6.3.10 Indika Energy
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. 7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
ASEAN Power EPC Market Research FAQs
What is the current ASEAN Power EPC Market size?
The ASEAN Power EPC Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 6% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in ASEAN Power EPC Market?
Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Hyundai Engineering Co. Ltd., Sumitomo Corporation, Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction Co., Ltd. and Toshiba Corporation are the major companies operating in the ASEAN Power EPC Market.
What years does this ASEAN Power EPC Market cover?
The report covers the ASEAN Power EPC Market historical market size for years: 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the ASEAN Power EPC Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
ASEAN Power EPC Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 ASEAN Power EPC market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. ASEAN Power EPC analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.