Advanced Biofuel Market Size
|2020 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|> 5.30 %
|Fastest Growing Market
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Advanced Biofuel Market Analysis
The global advanced biofuel market is expected to register a CAGR of about 5.3% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19 in 2020. The market has now reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the long term, the demand for secure, sustainable, and clean energy coupled with government mandates for increasing blending in automotive fuels is expected to propel the demand for advanced biofuels globally.
- On the flip side, the lack of awareness regarding the advantages of advanced biofuels is restraining the market. Due to this, the adoption of biofuels is limited to some countries only.
- Nevertheless, research is underway to develop additional feedstocks that could be used to make biofuels, along with production processes that are safe for the environment and take less toll on it, which is likely to present many opportunities in the future.
- North America is likely to witness significant growth in the advanced biofuels market during the forecast period.
Advanced Biofuel Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Advanced Biofuel Market according to our research experts:
Biodiesel Fuel Type to Witness Significant Growth
- Biodiesel is a mixture of monoalkyl esters of long-chain fatty acids derived from renewable biological sources such as vegetable oils. It emerged as an alternative fuel for the transportation sector in recent years.
- The conventional method of producing biodiesel is through homogeneous catalytic transesterification. However, increased production costs associated with downstream purification steps have led to the development of more cost-effective and environment-friendly technologies. These advanced production technologies involve heterogeneous or enzymatic catalysts to produce biodiesel, as well as no catalysts in supercritical conditions.
- In the last two decades, the production and consumption of liquid biofuels increased exponentially worldwide. The rising consumption of biofuels is driven by public policies that authorize and, in many cases, advocate for their use. One of the most used instruments by major countries is biofuel use mandates.
- Indonesia, the United States, and Brazil are among the largest biodiesel producers in the world, totaling some 9.5, 6.9, and 6.2 billion liters, respectively, in 2021. Global biodiesel production reached 734 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day, i.e., an increase of about 3% when compared to 2020 (712 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day).
- In March 2022, Repsol started its construction of a biofuel plant in Spain. The company is planning to invest an amount of nearly USD 210.33 million in the project. After completion, the plant can produce 250,000 tons of advanced biofuels per year, such as biodiesel, bio-jet, bio naphtha, and bio-propane. The new facility is expected to be operational in 2023. The project uses the circular economy, accelerating the energy transition and achieving Repsol's goal of becoming a net-zero emissions company by 2050.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, biodiesel fuel type is likely to witness significant growth in the global advanced biofuel market during the forecast period.
North America Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The North American region houses one of the biggest aviation markets and a well-established terrain transportation infrastructure primarily on fossil fuels. North America has been at the forefront of lowering emissions to limit the greenhouse effect.
- In North America, the United States is the largest producer of advanced biofuels, with significant investments in R&D with a substantial number of patents for biofuels to their credit. In 2021, according to the BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2022, the United States produced 643 thousand barrels of oil equivalent of biofuel per day, i.e., an increase of about 7.1% when compared to the previous year's value (602 thousand barrels of oil equivalent per day).
- Strong mandates drive the advanced biofuel market in the country. There are policies that specify reductions in fuel life-cycle carbon intensity, such as California's low carbon fuel standard. These policies may boost the demand for biofuel and support the deployment of novel and advanced biofuels.
- The new US Renewable Fuels Standard (RFS), signed recently as part of the revised Energy Bill, set high goals for the country's biofuel industry. It set a production target of 36 billion gallons of biofuels annually, mainly ethanol and biodiesel, with 21 billion gallons coming from "advanced biofuels," which can be produced using multiple feedstocks and technologies.
- The RFS also set a production target of roughly 16 billion gallons of "cellulosic biofuels," derived from plant sources such as trees and grasses. The potential of cellulosic ethanol remains enormous, with the Department of Energy having identified 1.3 billion tons of harvestable cellulosic biomass in the United States alone. This can meet more than one-third of the domestic demand for transportation fuel. For advanced biofuels, such as cellulosic ethanol and HVO, North America accounts for the largest share, i.e., 94% of global production.
- Based on the above factors, North America is expected to witness significant growth in the global advanced biofuel market during the forecast period.
Advanced Biofuel Industry Overview
The advanced biofuel market is moderately fragmented in nature. Some of the major players in the market (in no particular order) include Abengoa Bioenergy, DuPont Industrial Biosciences, Chemtex Group, Bankchak Petroleum, and Clariant Produkte GmbH.
Advanced Biofuel Market Leaders
Clariant Produkte GmbH
DuPont Industrial Biosciences
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Advanced Biofuel Market News
- May 2022: A team of foremost energy industry companies led by SGP BioEnergy joined the Panama government to develop the world's largest biofuel production and distribution hub. Once completed in five years, Biorefineria Ciudad Dorada (Golden City Biorefinery), located in Colon and Balboa, Panama, will be the largest advanced biorefinery and Sustainable Aviation Fuel (SAF) production platform in the world, producing 180,000 barrels per day (2.6 billion gallons per year) of biofuel.
- March 2022: Repsol started its construction of a biofuel plant in Spain. The company is planning to invest an amount of nearly USD 210.33 million in the project. After completion, the plant can produce 250,000 tons of advanced biofuels per year, such as biodiesel, bio-jet, bio naphtha, and bio-propane. The new facility is expected to be operational in 2023. The project uses the circular economy, accelerating the energy transition and moving toward achieving Repsol's goal of becoming a net-zero emissions company by 2050.
Advanced Biofuel Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Advanced Biofuel Market Size and Forecast, In Thousand Barrels of Oil Equivalent Per Day, Till 2027
4.3 Key Existing and Upcoming Advanced Biofuel Projects, as of 2021
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.6.1 Market Drivers
4.6.2 Market Restraints
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Raw Material
5.1.4 Other Raw Materials
5.2 By Biofuel Type
5.2.1 Cellulosic Biofuel
5.2.5 Other Biofuel Types
5.3 By Technology
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 South America
5.4.5 Middle East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Abengoa Bioenergy
6.3.2 Chemtex Group
6.3.3 Bankchak Petroleum
6.3.4 Clariant Produkte GmbH
6.3.5 DuPont Industrial Biosciences
6.3.6 Fujian Zhongde Energy Co. Ltd
6.3.7 INEOS Bio
6.3.8 KiOR Inc.
6.3.9 Sundrop Fuels Inc.
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Advanced Biofuel Market Research FAQs
What is the current Advanced Biofuel Market size?
The Advanced Biofuel Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 5.30% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Advanced Biofuel Market?
Abengoa Bioenergy, Chemtex Group, Bankchak Petroleum, Clariant Produkte GmbH and DuPont Industrial Biosciences are the major companies operating in the Advanced Biofuel Market.
Which is the fastest growing region in Advanced Biofuel Market?
Asia-Pacific is estimated to grow at the highest CAGR over the forecast period (2024-2029).
Which region has the biggest share in Advanced Biofuel Market?
In 2024, the North America accounts for the largest market share in Advanced Biofuel Market.
What years does this Advanced Biofuel Market cover?
The report covers the Advanced Biofuel Market historical market size for years: 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Advanced Biofuel Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Advanced Biofuel Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Advanced Biofuel market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Advanced Biofuel analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.