Malaysia Oil and Gas Market Size
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Market Volume (2023)||670 Thousand barrels per day|
|Market Volume (2028)||718.23 Thousand barrels per day|
|CAGR (2023 - 2028)||1.40 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Malaysia Oil and Gas Market Analysis
The Malaysia Oil And Gas Market size in terms of production volume is expected to grow from 670 Thousand barrels per day in 2023 to 718.23 Thousand barrels per day by 2028, at a CAGR of 1.40% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
- Over the medium term, factors such as supportive government policies, growing efforts to boost domestic oil and gas and LNG production, the surge in demand for refined petroleum products, and upcoming oil & gas projects and upgrades are expected to drive the market.
- On the other hand, the high volatility of crude oil prices due to many factors and the increasing adoption of renewable energy may restrain the market.
- Nevertheless, a high number of discoveries in recent years and ongoing exploration activities are expected to provide a significant opportunity for players in the country's oil and gas market.
Malaysia Oil and Gas Market Trends
Midstream Sector is Expected to Have Significant Market Share
- Malaysia has an increasing demand for natural gas in the country and neighboring regions. Most countries want to reduce their carbon emissions to control the air quality in the environment, which has increased natural gas consumption in various end-user segments.
- Satu Malaysia Terminal is an LNG terminal in Sarawak, Malaysia. It constitutes three LNG trains and has a capacity of 8.1 million metric tons per annum (MTPA). It is a part of the Malaysia LNG Complex, also known as the Petronas Bintulu LNG Complex.
- As of 2022, the natural gas imports in the country were around 3.8 billion cubic meters per day. The imports increased in 2022 compared to 2021.
- For instance, in January 2022, the Malaysian State of Sabah and Petronas announced plans for a two million metric tons/year (mmty) liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal. The new facility planned for the Sipitang Oil and Gas Industrial Park is a part of Petronas's collaboration with the state to expand Sabah's distribution of cleaner energy to industrial and commercial businesses.
- Furthermore, in August 2021, the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) entered a joint venture with Malaysia's state-run Petronas to include building liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals, fuel retailing, and gas distribution, driving the segment's growth.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Surging Demand For Refined Petroleum Products to Boost the Growth of the Market
- Malaysia's refining sector is witnessing significant growth due to the increasing demand for refined products from chemical, petrochemical, and transport industries.
- Malaysia is Southeast Asia's second-largest oil and natural gas producer and the fifth-largest exporter of liquefied natural gas (LNG) in the world as of 2021. It is strategically located on essential routes for seaborne energy trade.
- Malaysia has witnessed a steady growth in manufactured, refined petroleum product sales for several years. The increase in refined petroleum products can be mainly attributed to the growing demand for LPG as cooking fuel in homes, particularly as a transport fuel.
- As per the Department of Statistics Malaysia, in 2021, Malaysia produced approximately 2.7 million metric tons of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). The production of LPG in the country has been increasing since 2013, with 2.53 million metric tons produced.
- Malaysia has invested heavily in refining activities during the past two decades to meet its demand for petroleum products with domestic supplies. As of 2022, Malaysia had about 955 thousand barrels per day (b/d) refining capacity in seven facilities spread across the country.
- As part of Malaysia's goal to construct the oil refining and storage hub to meet the domestic demand for refined petroleum products, Petronas has invested about USD16 billion in the Refining and Petrochemicals Integrated Development Project (RAPID) in Johor. At the same time, an investment of nearly USD11 billion for associated facilities. The project has a nameplate capacity of 279,000 b/d and is expected to be fully commissioned by the end of 2022. The RAPID facility will be the country's first refinery to produce diesel and gasoline that meet the Euro V standard, which lowers carbon dioxide emission levels.
- However, with the growing demand for petroleum products and Malaysia's focus on self-reliance to meet the demand, the downstream infrastructure in the region is expected to increase significantly in the coming years. The country has formulated plans to either expand the current refineries or construct new ones.
- Therefore, owing to the abovementioned factors, the growing demand for petroleum products is expected to drive the Malaysia oil and gas market during the forecast period.
Malaysia Oil and Gas Industry Overview
The Malaysia oil and gas market is moderately consolidated. Some of the key players are (in no particular order) BP Plc, Shell Plc, Petronas Gas Bhd, Altus Oil & Gas Malaysia Sdn. Bhd, and ExxonMobil Corporation, among others.
Malaysia Oil and Gas Market Leaders
Royal Dutch Shell
Altus Oil & Gas Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Malaysia Oil and Gas Market News
- January 2023: A consortium of JGC Corporation and Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) secured an engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning (EPCC) contract with Petronas for Malaysia's first nearshore floating LNG facility project. The planned facility is set to become the world's first nearshore floating LNG facility. It has a minimum production capacity of 2 million tonnes of LNG annually and is scheduled for completion in 2027.
- December 2022: Petronas announced the oil and gas discovery at the Nahara well in Block SK 306. Petronas Carigali, a wholly owned subsidiary of Petronas, is the operator of the block, with 100 percent participating interest in its Production Sharing Contract (PSC).
Malaysia Oil and Gas Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Crude oil Consumption Forecast in billion cubic feet per day, till 2028
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
126.96.36.199 Surging Demand For Refined Petroleum Products
188.8.131.52 Significant Untapped Petroleum Reserves in the Sedimentary Basins
184.108.40.206 High Volatility of Crude Oil Prices
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 BP Plc
6.3.2 Shell Plc
6.3.3 Petronas Gas Bhd
6.3.4 Chevron Corporation
6.3.5 ExxonMobil Corporation
6.3.6 Malaysiaian General Petroleum Corporation
6.3.7 Altus Oil & Gas Malaysia Sdn. Bhd.
6.3.8 Petro-Excel Sdn Bhd (PESB)
6.3.9 Petro Teguh (M) Sdn. Bhd.
6.3.10 Malaysiaian Natural Gas Holding Company
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 A High Number of Discoveries in Recent Years and Ongoing Exploration Activities
Malaysia Oil and Gas Market Research FAQs
How big is the Malaysia Oil and Gas Market?
The Malaysia Oil and Gas Market size is expected to reach 670 thousand barrels per day in 2023 and grow at a CAGR of 1.40% to reach 718.23 thousand barrels per day by 2028.
What is the current Malaysia Oil and Gas Market size?
In 2023, the Malaysia Oil and Gas Market size is expected to reach 670 thousand barrels per day.
Who are the key players in Malaysia Oil and Gas Market?
Royal Dutch Shell, Altus Oil & Gas Malaysia Sdn. Bhd., ExxonMobil Corporation, BP Plc. and Shell Plc. are the major companies operating in the Malaysia Oil and Gas Market.
Oil and Gas in Malaysia Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Oil and Gas in Malaysia market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Oil and Gas in Malaysia analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.