Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Latin American BOPP films market (hereafter referred to as the market studied) is expected to register a CAGR of 8.1% over the forecast period, 2022-2027. As BOPP films are more flexible and have superior sealing properties that help in faster packaging are expected to drive the demand for films in the packaging industry.
- These films are being increasingly adopted in the applications such as packaging, labeling, and lamination. The rising need to extend the shelf life of the products and maintenance of product quality, aesthetics and sustainability are some of the significant factors that propel the industry's vendors to adopt BOPP films.
- BOPP films are preferred in labeling because of their yield benefit (Lowest density of 0.55 for IML orange peel effect) and recyclability with PP containers. BOPP Films has a strong global demand driven by expanding flexible packaging industry.
- In addition, the BOPP films are getting used in capacitors as BOPP is a good electrical insulating material with a very high breakdown electric field above 700MV/m, which makes it a mostly commercialized polymer in capacitors.
- The key vendors are innovating new products keeping the demand for sustainable solutions in mind. For instance, in July 2021, Innovia films developed a uniquely engineered cavitated BOPP base film, Rayoface QBD, for pressure-sensitive labeling applications such as Household and Personal Care, Food and Beverage, and other consumer packaged goods sectors.
- Consumers have been more concerned about the environmental impact of discarded plastics in recent years. This includes concerns about chemicals in items that can leak into groundwater and the sheer volume of plastics that end up in landfills and the ocean. In response, film suppliers have removed numerous chemicals from their products, producing thinner gauged films and releasing liners to lower the total amount of plastic used.
- The supply chain for film materials was impacted by the Covid-19 epidemic like many other worldwide sectors. The epidemic has caused considerable challenges, and changes in consumer behavior, which has led suppliers to tailor needs to shift within the market.
Scope of the Report
BOPP films (Biaxially Oriented PolyPropylene Films) are produced by stretching polypropylene film in both machine and transverse directions. BOPP films are primarily used in the food segment to package frozen food, meat, cheese, pet food, etc. It is also used in adhesive tapes, tobacco packaging, gift packaging, cosmetics packaging, and other applications that drive market growth.
|By End-user Vertical|
|Other End-user Verticals|
|Rest of Latin America|
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand of Flexible Packaging
- As the food industry in the region is growing significantly, the demand for packaging is driven substantially by the industry, and food enterprises across the region are adopting BOPP solutions as a part of their packaging needs. With the growing demand, regional manufacturers are expanding their production capabilities.
- Consumer awareness about packaging solutions and health benefits is increasing, and health considerations primarily drive the demand for flexible packaging. Also, increased reliance on ready-to-eat and prepared food create the need for flexible packaging in the region, especially in the snack segments.
- Many corporations are expanding their operations in Brazil in response to rising demand. Recently Grupo Lantero established a new 7,000 square meter plant in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to support its operations and manufacture rigid and flexible plastic packaging at the same location.
- Furthermore, the use of BOPP films for packaging meat is expected to grow during the forecast period in the region as the demand for meat is increased rapidly. For instance, according to a survey by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Argentina stands as the world’s third-largest consumer, and Brazil is the sixth in the meat sector.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Brazil is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share
- The growing demand for packaged food in the region is augmenting the demand for BOPP packaging in the industry. Brazil and Mexico are among the significant contributors to the demand growth in the region.
- Dairy, snacks, and confectionery products are the major end users of BOPP films. The technological advancements in packaging technology, such as modified atmosphere and high-pressure processing, have increased the use of BOPP films for meat, poultry, fruits, and vegetables.
- As the food and beverage industry in the country is growing, the demand for packaging is on the rise, and food enterprises across the region are adopting BOPP solutions as part of their packaging needs. With the growing demand, regional manufacturers are expanding their production capabilities.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Latin America BOPP films market is moving toward a fragmented market as the competition in the market is intensifying owing to the presence of domestic and international players, which are increasing their presence in the region through collaboration, merger & acquisition, and product innovation.
- December 2021 - OPP Film Colombia, a part of Oben Holding Group, has purchased a BOBST K5 4050 wide web metallizer, taking the total number of BOBST metallizers across the Group to nine, cementing the relationship between the two companies, which began 15 years ago. A new division of Oben Holding Group, OPP Film Colombia, began producing BOPP on its new film line last year. The BOBST K5 4050 has been in operation since October this year and will produce BOPP and BOPET films using the AluBond process to produce a high barrier, high adhesion film.
- November 2021 - Innovia films has developed and launched a uniquely engineered cavitated BOPP base film, Rayoface QBD, designed for pressure-sensitive labeling (PSL) applications. The film is available today at 60 microns (2.4 mils) and 65 microns (2.6 mils) and is corona treated on one side.
- May 2021 - Innovia Films launched a new BOPP film in its Propafilm range of transparent specialty packaging films. It offers improved thermal resistance and shrinkage properties compared to conventional polypropylene films. It has been designed to substitute traditional outer web films in laminates for applications such as pouches and lidding in various food markets.
- March 2021 - Poligal, a manufacturer of biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP) and cast PP films, has been sold by its parent company, family-owned Group Peralada, to Peru-based film manufacturer Oben Group. Operations under Poligal’s group subsidiaries include BOPP and CPP production plants in Portugal and Poland and sales offices in Germany.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumption and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitutes
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.2 Market Challenges/Restraints
5.3 Assesment of Impact of COVID -19
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By End-user Vertical
6.1.1 Flexible Packaging
6.1.3 Other End-user Verticals
6.2 By Geography
6.2.4 Rest of Latin America
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Biofilm (Taghleef Industries (Ti))
7.1.2 Opp Film (Oben Holding Group)
7.1.3 Altopro S.A. de CV
7.1.5 Innovia Films
7.1.6 Premix Brazil
7.1.7 Polo Films
8. FUTURE OUTLOOK OF THE MARKET
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Latin America BOPP Film Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Latin America BOPP Film Market?
The Latin America BOPP Film Market is growing at a CAGR of 8.1% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Latin America BOPP Film Market?
Biofilm (Taghleef Industries (Ti)), Opp Film (Oben Holding Group), Altopro S.A. de CV, Vitopel, Innovia Films are the major companies operating in Latin America BOPP Film Market.