|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The graphite market accounted for around 2,700 kilo metric ton in 2021, and it is expected to register a CAGR of more than 5% during the forecast period, 2022-2027.
The COVID-19 outbreak presented a challenging industry arena for the graphite market, as it slowed down the demand from the key end-user industries, like electronics, metallurgy, and automotive (including electric vehicles), owing to the lockdown measures of the COVID-19 pandemic. Furthermore, the production facilities of electronics parts were halted, owing to the logistics slowdown and unavailability of the workforce across the world.
- Over the short term, the major factors driving the growth of the market studied include the augmenting demand from the burgeoning lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery industry and the rise in steel production in Asia and the Middle East.
- The growing usage of graphite in green technologies and the popularity of graphene are projected to offer opportunities for the manufacturers over the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Graphite is a soft crystalline allotrope of carbon, composed of graphene layers, having a steel-gray to black metallic luster and a greasy feel, which is used in batteries, electrodes, etc. The graphite market is segmented by type, application, end-user industry, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into natural graphite and synthetic graphite. By Application, the market is segmented into electrodes, refractories, casting, and foundries, batteries, lubricants, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into electronics, metallurgy, automotive, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the graphite market in 16 countries across the major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilo metric ton).
|Refractories, Casting, and Foundries|
|Automotive (Includes EV/HEV Vehicles)|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
The Metallurgy Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The metallurgy segment of the market studied includes electrodes and refractories, casting, and foundries. Graphite electrodes are used in electric arc furnaces (EAF) and ladle furnaces (LF) for steel production, aluminum production, ferroalloy production, and smelting process.
- The rising production of steel using the electric arc furnace process is expected to increase the demand for graphite. In refractories, natural graphite is used in the manufacture of crucibles and mag-carbon bricks.
- Graphite is also used as lining in steel converters and electric arc furnaces. Different forms of alumina-graphite are used in continuous casting ware, such as nozzles and troughs, in steel molding applications. The surging usage of steel is expected to increase the demand for graphite.
- According to World Steel Association, the total steel production in 11 months of 2021(Jan-Nov) stood at 1752.5 Mt, registering an increase of 4.5% compared to the same period last year.
- According to the World Bureau of Metal Statistics, the global aluminum production witnessed a growth of 2.51% during 2019-20 and was recorded as 65.3 million metric ton in 2020.
- All these factors are expected to increase the demand for graphite from the metallurgy end-user industry.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- China holds the largest share in terms of consumption and production capacity of graphite in the global scenario, mainly due to the immense demand from the budding sectors like lithium-ion battery production, electronics, steel production, the solar industry, and the nuclear industry.
- In April 2021, Chinese nickel and stainless-steel giant Tsingshan Holding Group announced to invest 10.3 billion yuan (USD 1.57 billion) to build a lithium-ion battery plant in Guangdong province, which will be operated by the group's battery unit. Tsingshan's battery manufacturing unit REPT Energy Co aims to expand its annual production capacity for lithium batteries from 6 gigawatts currently to 200 gigawatt capacity by 2025 and the new plant in Foshan city.
- India is the third-largest producer of iron and steel in the Asia-Pacific region. Iron and steel production in the country has been increasing at a rapid pace. The soaring demand for iron and steel from the automotive and infrastructure sectors in the country, along with governmental initiatives (such as the National Steel policy), is supporting the growth of steel production in India.
- According to World Steel Association, the total steel production in 11 months of 2021(Jan-Nov) stood at 107.3 Mt, registering an increase of 19.3% compared to the same period last year, indicating towards an increasing trend.
- In March 2021, Arcelor Mittal Steel signed INR 50,000 crore deal with Odisha government to setup a steel plant in the state. Such investments are likely to increase the demand for graphite electrodes in the future.
- Due to all such factors, the market for graphite in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The graphite market is consolidated, with the top five players of natural graphite and synthetic graphite accounting for a major share of the market in their respective fields. Some of the key players for synthetic graphite are Jiangxi Zichen Technology Co.Ltd, Shanghai Shanshan Technology Co. Ltd, Betterui New Materials Group Co. Ltd, Shenzhen Xiangfenghua Technology Co. Ltd, and SHOWA DENKO K.K (not in any particular order). The key players of natural graphite include Syrah Resources Limited, Shenzhen Xiangfenghua Technology Co., Ltd, Betterui New Materials Group Co., Ltd., Shanghai Shanshan Technology Co., Ltd, and Jiangxi Zichen Technology Co., Ltd, among others (not in any particular order).
Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd.
BTR New Material Group Co.,Ltd.
Syrah Resources Limited
Shenzhen Xiangfenghua Technology Co., Ltd
Shanghai Shanshan Technology Co., Ltd
- In October 2021, BlackEarth Minerals has signed a 50:50 joint venture (JV) agreement with Metachem Manufacturing to develop an expandable graphite facility in India. The upcoming plant will have an initial production capacity of around 2,000-2,500 tons per annum. Moreover, the capacity of the plant can be expanded in the coming years, up to 4,000 tons per annum.
- In June 2021, Betterray (Sichuan) New Material Technology Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Betterray Group, held a groundbreaking ceremony for the first phase of the lithium-ion battery anode material project with an annual output of 50,000 tons.
- In May 2021, Huizhou Betterray New Material Technology Co., Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Betterray Group, held the commissioning ceremony of the second phase of the 40,000-ton anode electrode production line, to ease the supply pressure of graphite anode.
- In July 2020, Tokai Carbon and Tokai COBEX completed acquistion of Carbone Savoie International SAS, a Carbon and Graphite Manufacturer.
- In April 2020, HC Holdings K.K., a wholly owned subsidiary of Showa Denko have completed the acquisition of Hitachi Chemical.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Augmenting Demand from the Burgeoning Lithium-ion Battery Industry
4.1.2 Increase in Steel Production in Asia and the Middle East
4.2.1 Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Natural Graphite
5.1.2 Synthetic Graphite
5.2.2 Refractories, Casting, and Foundries
5.2.5 Other Applications
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Automotive (Includes EV/HEV Vehicles)
5.3.4 Other End-user Industries
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Asbury Carbons
6.4.2 Betterui New Materials Group Co. Ltd
6.4.3 Imerys Graphite & Carbon
6.4.4 Jiangxi Zichen Technology Co. Ltd
6.4.5 Mason Graphite Inc
6.4.6 Nippon Kokuen Group
6.4.7 Northern Graphite Corp.
6.4.8 SGL Carbon
6.4.9 Shanghai Shanshan Technology Co. Ltd
6.4.10 Shenzhen XFH Technology Co. Ltd
6.4.11 Showa Denko K.k.
6.4.12 Syrah Resources Limited
6.4.13 Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.14 Triton Minerals
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Usage of Graphite in Green Technologies
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Graphite Market market is studied from 2017 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of Graphite Market?
The Graphite Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Graphite Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Graphite Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in Graphite Market?
Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd., BTR New Material Group Co.,Ltd. , Syrah Resources Limited , Shenzhen Xiangfenghua Technology Co., Ltd, Shanghai Shanshan Technology Co., Ltd are the major companies operating in Graphite Market.