|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||Asia Pacific|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The graphite market accounted for 2,892 kilo metric ton in 2020, and it is expected to register a CAGR of 5% during the forecast period, 2021-2026. The COVID-19 outbreak presented a challenging industry arena for the graphite market, as it slowed down the demand from the key end-user industries, like electronics, metallurgy, and automotive (including electric vehicles), owing to the lockdown measures of the COVID-19 pandemic. Furthermore, the production facilities of electronics parts were halted, owing to the logistics slowdown and unavailability of the workforce across the world.
Over the short term, the major factors driving the growth of the market studied include the augmenting demand from the burgeoning lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery industry and the rise in steel production in Asia and the Middle East. On the flip side, the development of substitute anode materials for lithium-ion batteries in high-end applications, stringent environmental regulations, and the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak are expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
The growing usage of graphite in green technologies and the popularity of graphene are projected to offer opportunities for the manufacturers over the forecast period. The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market, and it is also likely to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Graphite is a soft crystalline allotrope of carbon, composed of graphene layers, having a steel-gray to black metallic luster and a greasy feel, which is used in batteries, electrodes, etc. The graphite market is segmented by type, application, end-user industry, and geography. By type, the market is segmented into natural graphite and synthetic graphite. By Application, the market is segmented into electrodes, refractories, casting, and foundries, batteries, lubricants, and other applications. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into electronics, metallurgy, automotive, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the graphite market in 16 countries across the major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (kilo metric ton).
|Refractories, Casting, and Foundries|
|Automotive (Includes EV/HEV Vehicles)|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
The Metallurgy Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The metallurgy segment of the market studied includes electrodes and refractories, casting, and foundries. Graphite electrodes are used in electric arc furnaces (EAF) and ladle furnaces (LF) for steel production, ferroalloy production, silicon metal production, and smelting process.
- The rising production of steel using the electric arc furnace process is expected to increase the demand for graphite. In refractories, natural graphite is used in the manufacture of crucibles and mag-carbon bricks.
- Graphite is also used as lining in steel converters and electric arc furnaces. Different forms of alumina-graphite are used in continuous casting ware, such as nozzles and troughs, in steel molding applications. The surging usage of steel is expected to increase the demand for graphite.
- Moreover, graphite is also used in coating foundry facings, where the removal of hot metal is to be made easier. All these factors are expected to increase the demand for graphite from the metallurgy end-user industry.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- China holds the largest share in terms of consumption and production capacity of graphite electrodes in the global scenario. China has produced nearly 520 thousand metric tons of graphite electrodes, of which nearly 62% share was utilized for domestic consumption. In this scenario, graphite is being increasingly used by the steel-making industries for niche applications.
- The current production capacity of UHP graphite electrodes in China is around 50 thousand metric tons per year. The demand for UHP electrodes in China is also expected to witness significant growth in the long term, and an additional capacity of over 50 thousand metric tons of UHP graphite electrodes is likely to be witnessed in the later phases of the forecast period.
- The demand for lithium-ion batteries in China is expected to grow rapidly, owing to a rise in the adoption of new energy vehicles (NEVs) and ESS for on-grid and off-grid applications.
- The development of NEVs is further boosted by the mandates put forth by the government. For instance, in 2018, the NEV credit mandate went into effect, thereby setting a minimum production requirement for the car manufacturing industry. Additionally, China has adopted a national New Energy Vehicle Subsidy Program to further boost the production of EVs.
- Chinese manufacturers have rushed to install capacity for graphite electrodes, since the country began to commit heavily to higher rates of steel production via electric arc furnaces in 2017. The proportion of steel produced in electric arc furnaces in China may double from 10% in 2018 to around 20% by 2028. In this regard, the country has been steadily increasing the number of plants using electric arc furnaces for steel production. However, currently, due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the economic and industrial manufacturing activities have been affected significantly in the country.
- India is the third-largest producer of iron and steel in the Asia-Pacific region. Iron and steel production in the country has been increasing at a rapid pace. The soaring demand for iron and steel from the automotive and infrastructure sectors in the country, along with governmental initiatives (such as the National Steel policy), is supporting the growth of steel production in India.
- The production of steel in the country is expected to double by 2031, while a growth rate of about 1.5% in production was estimated for 2019. Such targets set for the country are likely to increase the demand for graphite electrodes in the future.
- Due to all such factors, the market for graphite in the region is expected to have a steady growth during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market for graphite is partially consolidated, with the top five players of natural graphite and synthetic graphite accounting for a major share of the market in their respective fields. Some of the key players for synthetic graphite are Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd. (including SGL Carbon), BTR New Material Group Co., Ltd., GrafTech International, Lianyungang Jinli Carbon Co. Ltd, and Shanshan Technology. The key players of natural graphite include Syrah Resources Limited, Qingdao Guangxing Electronic Materials Co. Ltd, Qingdao Black Dragon Graphite Co. Ltd, Mason Graphite Inc., and Focus Graphite, among others.
- In October 2021, BlackEarth Minerals has signed a 50:50 joint venture (JV) agreement with Metachem Manufacturing to develop an expandable graphite facility in India. The upcoming plant will have an initial production capacity of around 2,000-2,500 tons per annum. Moreover, the capacity of the plant can be expanded in the coming years, up to 4,000 tons per annum. The new plant is likely to serve the expandable graphite market, thereby, is expected to enhance the company's graphite business.
- In October 2019, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd acquired COBEX HoldCo GmbH, which is a manufacturer of carbon and graphite products.
- In September 2019, Westwater Resources Inc. entered an agreement with an internationally renowned company to purchase natural flake graphite for its planned advanced battery materials processing facility.
- In June 2019, Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd announced that it was planning to acquire COBEX HoldCo GmbH, which is a manufacturer of carbon and graphite products.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Augmenting Demand from the Burgeoning Lithium-ion Battery Industry
4.1.2 Increase in Steel Production in Asia and the Middle East
4.1.3 High Purity Levels of Synthetic Graphite
4.2.1 Development of Substitute Anode Materials in Lithium-ion Batteries in High-end Applications
4.2.2 Stringent Environmental Regulations
4.2.3 Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1.1 Natural Graphite
5.1.2 Synthetic Graphite
5.2.2 Refractories, Casting, and Foundries
5.2.5 Other Applications
5.3 End-user Industry
5.3.3 Automotive (Includes EV/HEV Vehicles)
5.3.4 Other End-user Industries
22.214.171.124 South Korea
126.96.36.199 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Saudi Arabia
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Share (%)**/Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Asbury Carbons
6.4.2 BlackEarth Minerals
6.4.3 BTR New Material Group Co.,Ltd.
6.4.4 Focus Graphite Inc.
6.4.5 Graftech International Ltd
6.4.6 Hitachi Chemical Co. Ltd
6.4.7 Imerys Graphite & Carbon
6.4.8 Lianyungang Jinli Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.9 Mason Graphite Inc.
6.4.10 NextSource Materials Inc. (Energizer Resources Inc.)
6.4.11 Nippon Kokuen Group
6.4.12 Northern Graphite Corp.
6.4.13 Qingdao Black Dragon Graphite Co. Ltd
6.4.14 Qingdao Guangxing Electronic Materials Co., Ltd.
6.4.15 SGL Carbon
6.4.16 Shanshan Technology
6.4.17 Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd.
6.4.18 Syrah Resources Limited
6.4.19 Triton Minerals Ltd
6.4.20 Tokai Carbon Co. Ltd
6.4.21 Westwater Resources (Alabama Graphite Corp.)
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Growing Usage of Graphite in Green Technologies
7.2 Popularity of Graphene
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Graphite Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Graphite Market?
The Graphite Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Graphite Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Graphite Market?
Asia Pacific holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Graphite Market?
Showa Denko Materials Co., Ltd., BTR New Material Group Co.,Ltd. , Qingdao Guangxing Electronic Materials Co., Ltd., Syrah Resources Limited, Mason Graphite Inc. are the major companies operating in Graphite Market.