The global recovery drinks market is expected to register a CAGR of 6.2% during the forecast period, 2018-2023. Drinks rich in carbohydrates and proteins, consumed post a strenuous work out or an athletic performance, are called recovery drinks. The goal of post-exercise nutrition is to replenish the glycogen stores and to encourage protein synthesis by the body.
- Oatly launched a recovery drink that is a post-milk-generation, post-workout recovery drink and is available in two variations: The Original Apple Beetroot Ginger Recovery Drink and The Recovery Pineapple, Passion fruit & Spirulina. The Original Apple Beetroot Ginger Recovery Drink comprises of ingredients, such as oat base, 33% apple juice, 23% beetroot juice, potato protein, lemon juice, natural aroma, ginger extract, and so on. The percentage of branched-chain amino acids (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) is around 23% of the total protein, which is comparable to animal protein sources.
- Susie Parker-Simmons, a senior sport dietitian with the US Olympic Committee, designed a hot recovery drink. The product has been designed for winter athletes, with a notion to help repair the human body and make them ready to perform optimally. The product called “Susie special”, comprises of ingredients, such as carbohydrates, protein. It may comprise of honey, an organic sugar, or a modified juice component, but not milk or caffeine. Currently, the product is Team USA exclusive. It will likely to be available for the “weekend warrior” category of consumers, as well, in the future.
Consumer Demand for Functional Beverages
Beverage production has advanced technologically, across the globe, with state-of-the-art automated machinery. With extensive scientific research, new active ingredients are being identified at a faster pace. With their superior nutritional benefits, recovery drinks hold a very high scope for application in sports nutrition and healthcare industry, creating an encouraging opportunity for investment in the sector.
Rapid industrialization had resulted in a mass production of functional beverages. Manufacturers strategically increased the demand for the product with their alluring marketing plans. This, in turn, expanded the consumer base for health and wellness improving beverages in western countries. A large number of athletic and fitness conscious youngsters in Asian countries, continued the craze for the product, which eventually acted as a driver for the recovery drink market.
Recovery drinks with milk proteins, are considered to be more effective for rehydration, than pure carbohydrate drinks. Recently, NBA stars, professional football players, swimmers, and running groups have started taking recovery drinks.
Preference for Powder over RTD Form
Recovery drinks are primarily consumed by athletes to replenish the water level in the body. These products are increasingly attracting the attention of lifestyle and recreational users. Owing to the increasing demand from the emerging lifestyle and recreational users, the protein powder market is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period.
Powders have an advantage over RTDs. Consumers prefer powders over RTDs, as ingredients used in ready-to-drink supplements tend to degrade over time, while powders maintain their integrity very well.
Mass Merchandisers Dominate the Sales Channel
Mass merchandisers maintain a dominant share of the overall recovery drinks sales. They focus on providing a wide array of brands and sizes, ranging from popular brands, to private labels, to single-serve containers, and multi-packs.
North America, with a share of 36%, leads the market. It is followed by Asia-Pacific which accounts for 34% of the market. With a recent increase in fitness conscious people, Europe is gaining share in the market.
Abbott Nutrition and Glanbia PLC Dominate the Market
Recovery drink market is highly competitive, with PepsiCo (Gatorade), Abbott Nutrition, and Glanbia PLC, enjoying considerable shares in the market. These companies have succeeded in reaching the masses with their appealing promotion, and have expanded their reign with a wide product range. Start-ups should focus on their supply chain marketing, to compete with the well-established companies in the sector. Companies focused on personalization and convenience in the American market, need to look at European consumer demand for healthy, zero-calorie, low sugar functional products, to scale their drinks production in the region.
Major Key Players: ABBOTT NUTRITION, PEPSICO, GLANBIA PLC, KILL CLIF.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
- Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis.
- Market dynamics which essentially consider the factors which are impelling the present market scenario along with growth opportunities of the market in the years to come.
- Market segmentation analysis including qualitative and quantitative research incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects.
- Global, regional and country level analysis integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market.
- Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players along with the key strategies adopted for development in the past five years.
- Comprehensive company profiles covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis and strategies employed by the major market players.
- 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
Customization of the Report
- Value chain analysis
- Consumer behavior analysis at country level
This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 Definition of the Market
1.3 Report Description
2. Research Approach & Methodology
2.2 Research Designs
2.3 Study Timeline
2.4 Study Phases
2.4.1 Secondary Research
2.4.2 Discussion Guide
2.4.3 Market Engineering and Econometric Modelling
2.4.4 Expert Validation
3. MARKET OVERVIEW
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Growing Health Concerns and Preference for Functional Beverages
4.1.2 Rapidly Evolving Retail Landscape
4.1.3 Growing Demand For Clean Labeled Products
4.2.1 Regulatory Compliance for Recovery Drink Products
4.2.2 Higher production costs
4.3.1 Growing Demand for Women Sports Energy Drinks
4.3.2 Identification of new active ingredients
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Product Form
5.2 By Distribution Channel
5.2.1 Mass Merchandiser
5.2.2 Specialty Stores
5.2.3 Online Channel
5.3 By Geography
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 South America
22.214.171.124 South Africa
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Market Share Analysis
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
7. Company Profiles
7.1 Abbott Nutrition Inc
7.2 Mountain Fuel
7.3 Champion Nutrition Inc.
7.4 Cloud 9 Energy Drink
7.7 Grupo Danone
7.8 Extreme Drinks Co.
7.9 Fluid Sports Nutrition
7.10 Frucor Beverages Ltd
7.11 Glanbia PLC
7.12 Kill Cliff Inc.