Europe ROV Market Size
|Study Period:||2019 - 2028|
|CAGR:||> 5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Europe ROV Market Analysis
Europe's ROV market is expected to register a CAGR of 5% during the forecast period of 2022–2027. The COVID-19 outbreak in Q1 of 2020 led to a decline in demand from end-user applications and further delayed financial investment decisions and capital expenditure. Factors such as rising oil and gas production activities, a growing offshore wind power industry, and increasing oil and gas decommissioning activities are expected to drive Europe's ROV market during the forecast period. However, a shift toward renewable energy sources, along with the high volatility of crude oil prices, is expected to hinder the market growth.
- The oil and gas sector is expected to hold the largest share in the Europe ROV market, owing to the demand for ROV systems across all phases of the offshore oil and gas life cycle.
- The installed offshore wind capacity in the European Union was 14.6 GW in 2021 and is set to increase by at least 25 times by 2030, which is expected to open up new avenues for the Europe ROV market during the forecast period.
- Norway is expected to witness significant growth, with the majority of the demand coming from offshore oil and gas discoveries and offshore wind energy installations.
Europe ROV Industry Segmentation
The Europe ROV Market includes:
|Work Class ROV|
|Observatory Class ROV|
|Oil and Gas|
|Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance|
|Burial and Trenching|
|Rest of Europe|
Europe ROV Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe ROV Market according to our research experts:
Oil & Gas Application to Dominate the Market
- The North Sea is a major offshore production hydrocarbon basin in the European region with the interests of several countries in it. It has been a significant contributor to European economies for over fifty years. The basin presents exciting prospects with a potential of up to 20-30 billion boe of undiscovered resources. The availability of abundant resources, coupled with increased potential to recover oil and gas from deepwater and ultra-deepwater areas, is expected to provide a great opportunity for the Europe ROV market.
- As per the BP Statistical Review of World Energy 2022, oil production in Europe has witnessed significant growth. Denmark has produced oil of 65 '000 barrels per day, Norway produced oil of 2025 '000 barrels per day and the United Kingdom has produced oil of 874 '000 barrels per day.
- The United Kingdom is expected to spend around EUR 15.3 billion on decommissioning, over the next ten years. Approximately, 2,400 wells are expected to be decommissioned across the whole North Sea and West of Shetland region, by 2027. Around 914 of these wells are located across the Norwegian, Danish, and Dutch.
- As of March 2022, the United Kingdom was preparing a new energy strategy that involved more North Sea oil and gas production. The government was planning to open up the first round of exploration licenses in 2019. Even though these steps are being taken to counter the Russian dependency, they are likely to drive the Europe ROV market when players begin to develop the acreages after receiving their license.
- In February 2022, Aker BP announced its plan to drill 13 exploration wells, with a potential of around 250 mmboe, while also working to develop several projects in Norway, including a new Alvheim tieback. This field development activity is expected to drive the Europe ROV services well in the region.
- Considering the above-mentioned points, the Europe ROV market is likely to witness significant growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Norway Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- Due to its highly-developed offshore oil and gas, and wind energy sector, Europe is also a major market for ROV services. The demand for ROV services is concentrated in 2 regions, the North Sea and the Mediterranean Sea.
- The North Sea Region is a major oil and gas producing region in Europe, and the region is dominated by oil producers from neighbouring countries such as Norway, Denmark, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. Due to the maturity of the industry in the region, the upstream industry is highly developed and automated, and the demand for ROVs is high.
- Drawing from their expertise in offshore oil and gas E&P activities, many large renewable energy companies in the region are looking to harvest the wind potential in the region by creating massive offshore wind farms in the region. Due to this, the North Sea region is home to the largest under-construction offshore wind farms globally, such as the under-construction 1.2 GW Dogger Bank project.
- As per Norwegian Petroleum Directorate, in 2021, the total oil production was 55.44 million Sm3. The increasing production of oil acrosss the oil field are expected to drive the Europe ROV market during the forecast period.
- As Europe transitions away from fossil fuels and increases its renewable energy capacity, countries in this region view the region and its wind resources as a critical component of their energy security strategies. Due to this, most countries are inviting bids from developers for large-scale offshore wind power plant projects.
- For instance, in February 2022, Norway announced plans to for its first auction for offshore wind. The tender is scheduled in the second half of 2022 and aims to develop 1.5 GW of offshore wind capacity to supply the country.
- In June 2022, Five oil and gas companies in Norway, partners in the Troll and Oseberg fields in the North Sea, are planning to build a 1GW floating wind farm in the Troll area, with the plan to use the wind farm to power oil and gas installations. The final investment decision is expected to be made in 2023. The wind power project, called Trollvind, is being worked on by Equinor and its partners Petoro, TotalEnergies, Shell and ConocoPhillips. The wind farm would be located 65 kilometres west of Bergen, Norway. This project creates significant opportunities for ROV services.
- Therefore, owing to the above points, the Norway is expected to witness significant growth in the Europe ROV market during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe ROV Industry Overview
The Europe ROV Market is fragmented. The key players in the market include DeepOcean AS, DOF Subsea AS, Subsea 7 S.A, Saipem SpA, and Fugro N.V. among others.
Europe ROV Market Leaders
DOF Subsea AS
Subsea 7 S.A.
Oceaneering International Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe ROV Market News
- In August 2022, Boxfish Research announced the launch of the Boxfish Alpha, the company’s new inspection-class underwater Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) designed for regular inspections, search and rescue, and recovery missions.
- In December 2021, Oceaneering International, Inc. successfully conducted the first onshore remote piloting of a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) in the United Kingdom sector for bp. The operations were conducted from Oceaneering’s Onshore Remote Operations Center (OROC) in Stavanger, Norway. This project was the first implementation of ROV remote piloting in the United Kingdom, the first cross-border implementation, and the first operational implementation for bp.
- In October 2021, ECA Group launched the R7. This underwater robotic vehicle combines the compactness and ease of deployment of mini ROVs (remotely operated vehicles) with the performance, speed, and payload carrying capacity of professional observation-class ROVs. The R7 was unveiled at the Ocean Business 2021 exhibition in Southampton, United Kingdom.
Europe ROV Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
3. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Work Class ROV
5.1.2 Observatory Class ROV
5.2.1 Oil and Gas
5.2.3 Other Applications
5.3.2 Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance
5.3.3 Burial and Trenching
5.3.4 Other Activities
5.4.1 United Kingdom
5.4.4 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 DeepOcean AS
6.3.2 DOF Subsea AS
6.3.3 Subsea 7 S.A.
6.3.4 TechnipFMC PLC
6.3.5 Bourbon Corporation SA
6.3.6 Helix Energy Solutions Group Inc.
6.3.7 Oceaneering International Inc.
6.3.8 Saab Seaeye Limited
6.3.9 Forum Energy Technologies Inc.
6.3.10 Saipem SpA
6.3.11 Fugro N.V
6.3.12 Teledyne Technologies Incorporated
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe ROV Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe ROV Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe ROV Market?
The Europe ROV Market is growing at a CAGR of >5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe ROV Market?
DeepOcean AS, DOF Subsea AS, Subsea 7 S.A., Oceaneering International Inc., Fugro N.V are the major companies operating in Europe ROV Market.
Europe ROV Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe ROV market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe ROV analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.