Australia Rail Freight Transport Market Size
|CAGR:||> 3.5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
Australia Rail Freight Transport Market Analysis
The size of Australia Rail Freight Transport Market is USD 7.9 billion in the current year and is anticipated to register a CAGR of over 3.5% during the forecast period. Considering the vastness of the nation, Australian freight supply networks are often extensive and diverse.
- A supply chain, in its simplest form, is the web of people, businesses, goods, and services that collects raw materials converts them into finished goods and carries them to their destination. Producers, transporters, customs officers, traders, and inspectors are just a few of the many actors on which they rely. Transporting freight from farms, mines, cities, and ports to domestic and foreign markets will be made simpler by Rail transport.
- Freight forwarders frequently base their decisions on availability and cost when deciding whether to convey freight by road or rail. For the Inland Rail Service Offering, it is crucial that new intermodal terminals are built in Melbourne and Brisbane with enough room to accommodate double-stacked, high-performance trains. In order to complete the development and operation of the Melbourne and Brisbane intermodal freight terminals in time for the start of Rail's full operations, the National Intermodal Corporation will collaborate with the Commonwealth, State Governments, the Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC), and industry.
- Economic growth and signals for private sector investment must be supported by investments in Australia's freight-related infrastructure. With the help of the USD 44 million Inland Rail Interface Improvement Program, project ideas are being developed for more efficient supply chains based on rail and upgrades to intersecting national rail lines. In order to implement priority infrastructure projects under the Infrastructure Investment Program, the Australian Government provided USD 150 million in the 2022–23 Budget, building on the success of the II Program.
- Over 80% of Australia's rail freight is exported iron ore and coal, making rail the country's primary carrier of goods and accounting for about 49% of all domestic freight. The Transcontinental Rail Line, which connects the Eastern coastline with the West coast, is one of the largest freight trains in the world. It travels across Australia's immense landmass.
- Australian suppliers of rail technology, equipment, and solutions are open to considering opportunities to collaborate with and represent U.S. businesses because significant investment in Australia's freight and passenger rail infrastructure is expected to continue. In Australia, rail is a USD 26 billion contributor to the national economy and a leader in productivity, innovation, and best practises globally. Some of the heaviest and longest freight trains in the world travel on Australia's heavy haul railways.
Australia Rail Freight Transport Industry Segmentation
From a point of loading or a goods station to a point of unloading, goods are transported by rail. These products, such as coal, building supplies, iron, and steel, are frequently large and heavy. Along with the transportation of large items, the rail freight market also offers this service. Service providers provide value-added services and logistics. Loading and documentation, unloading, services, and packaging are a few of them. As a result, this promotes the growth of the rail freight transportation market.
The Australia Rail Freight Transport Market is Segmented by Cargo Type (Containerized (Intermodal), Non-containerized, and Liquid Bulk), Destination (Domestic and International), and Service Type (Transportation and Services Allied to Transportation). The report offers market size and forecasts for the Australia Rail Freight Transport Market in value (USD billion) for all the above segments.
|Services Allied to Transportation (Maintenance of Railcars and Rail Tracks, Switching of Cargo, and Storage)|
|Containerized (Includes Intermodal)|
Australia Rail Freight Transport Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Australia Rail Freight Transport Market according to our research experts:
Increasing rail investment infrastructure has given positive outlook to rail freight transport market
Australia is seeing unprecedented levels of infrastructure investment, which is anticipated to reach a peak of USD 36 billion in 2023. The majority of investment activity and resource demand will be concentrated on road and rail, with rail activity being the main driver of growth, according to Infrastructure Australia's "2021 Infrastructure Market Capacity" report. It is anticipated that transportation activity will increase 68% over the next five years compared to the preceding five. The transportation industry will account for more than 80% of total resource demands at its peak in 2022 to 2023.
The construction phase of the mining boom in the past has been a major driver of rail infrastructure investment, which has then been partially sustained by periods of strong extraction-based phases. Australians have significantly increased their desire for a rural lifestyle over the past five years as the trend toward working from home is fueled by technology and the worldwide pandemic. The local accessibility of smaller cities and regional hubs is considered as a key new driver of rail infrastructure investment in order to facilitate economic diversification and sustainable population expansion. State and territorial transportation authorities are pursuing urban transportation projects, while the National Faster Train Agency is creating business cases for a number of rail networks.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Growing in exports due to the mining industry has driven the market in Australia
Australia's economy is susceptible to commerce and is generally open. This means that changes in the demand for products and services in other nations could have a big impact on australia's economy. Large price increases for certain of Australia's exports of commodities were the primary cause of the terms of trade boom. Natural resources abound in Australia, with the fifth-largest coal reserves, the second-largest accessible reserves of iron ore, and sizable gas resources among them. The increase in global demand owed to a large increase in demand for steel and energy, driven by rapid urbanization and industrialization in China and some other emerging economies has increased dependency on the internal rail transport system.
The mining capital of Australia and a significant player in the global mining market is Western Australia (WA). It is home to some of the biggest mines in the nation as well as a significant number of high-grade materials. With numerous iron ore mines, particularly in the Pilbara region in the state's north, WA is the largest supplier of iron ore in the world. The mining sector in Australia accounts for 75% of exports, employs a sizeable portion of the workforce, and has a large positive impact on the country's improving standard of life, rising incomes, and thriving economy. Thus, an increase in global demand for Australia's exports and imports would lead excess trade activities driving the Australia rail freight transport market
Australia Rail Freight Transport Industry Overview
The majority of the Australian railway network infrastructure is held by the government, either at the federal or state level, with the exception of a small handful of privately owned railroads. Aurizon Holdings Limited, Pacific National Holdings Pty Ltd, Southern Shorthaul Railroad, SCT Logistic, KTI Transport are major market participants in Australia Rail Freight Transport Market.
The competition amongst service providers is further heightened by the strict regulatory requirements that must be met. Businesses participate in M&A transactions to develop their product lines and expand regionally.
Australia Rail Freight Transport Market Leaders
Aurizon Holdings Limited
Pacific National Holdings Pty Ltd
Southern Shorthaul Railroad
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Australia Rail Freight Transport Market News
August 2022: Nokia has been selected by The Public Transport Authority of Western Australia (PTA) to design, build and maintain a next generation railway communications system over the next decade in Perth.
August 2022: Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF) has received a light rail contract from the Australian and Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Governments for Canberra Metro in the country. The company will also retrofit onboard batteries to Canberra’s existing light rail fleet of 14 vehicles. It will enable the fleet to operate on the wire-free extension to Commonwealth Park and the future Stage 2B extension to Woden.
Australia Rail Freight Transport Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Market Definition and Scope
1.2 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS AND INSIGHTS
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Market Dynamics
4.3 Value Chain/Supply Chain Analysis
4.4 Technological Advancements
4.5 Government Regulations and Key Initiatives
4.6 Elaboration on Key Trade Agreements Related to Rail
4.7 Review and Commentary on the Freight Transportation Costs by Rail
4.8 Insights into Key End Users of the Rail Freight Sector
4.9 Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.2 Services Allied to Transportation (Maintenance of Railcars and Rail Tracks, Switching of Cargo, and Storage)
5.2 Cargo Type
5.2.1 Containerized (Includes Intermodal)
5.2.3 Liquid Bulk
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Market Concentration Overview
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Aurizon Holdings Limited
6.2.2 Pacific National Holdings Pty Ltd
6.2.3 Southern Shorthaul Railroad
6.2.4 SCT Logistic
6.2.5 KTI Transport
6.2.6 Wakefield Transport
6.2.7 Innovation Transport Services
6.2.8 FM Global Logistics
6.2.9 Express-Link Global
6.2.10 MYC International Logistics*
7. FUTURE OF AUSTRALIA RAIL FREIGHT TRANSPORT MARKET
Australia Rail Freight Transport Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Australia Rail Freight Transport Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Australia Rail Freight Transport Market?
The Australia Rail Freight Transport Market is growing at a CAGR of >3.5% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Australia Rail Freight Transport Market?
Aurizon Holdings Limited, Pacific National Holdings Pty Ltd, Southern Shorthaul Railroad, SCT Logistic, KTI Transport are the major companies operating in Australia Rail Freight Transport Market.
Australia Rail Freight Transport Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Australia Rail Freight Transport market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Australia Rail Freight Transport analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.