Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The Australian construction machinery market was valued at USD 2381.45 million in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 2981.24 million in 2026 registering a CAGR of 3.35% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026).
The outbreak of pandemic COVID-19 has impacted the market negatively as the government in the country imposed strict lockdown measures, which resulted in pausing the economic and transportation activities in the country, which in turn affected construction activities. However, as soon as the government permitted some relaxations in lockdown norms the activities have started picking pace and demand is returning back to the market.
Factors impacting the Australian construction machinery market include increasing government investment in infrastructure development, grey markets (illegal imports of construction machinery), economic growth, changes in oil prices, etc . The demand for latest technology and digitization in construction machinery is enhancing the demand in the market.
The introduction of autonomous equipment in the market is increasing the profitability and also decreasing the rate of fatalities at sites as these machines can work effectively at dangerous sites and can be operated remotely. However, increasing preference towards construction equipment rental, primary attributed to high initial investment and high maintenance cost, is anticipated to remain as a major restraint to the market during the forecast period.
Scope of the Report
Construction Machinery means machines or devices drawn as trailers that are designed and used for construction, tree trimming, and allied construction activities. The scope of the report covers segmentation based on Application type and Machinery type. The report covers details about the latest trends, developments, and technologies in the market.
By Application type, the market is segmented into Material Handling, Earthmoving, and Transportation. By Machinery type, the market is segmented into Hydraulic Excavators, Wheel loaders, Crawler trucks, Dump trucks, and Motor graders. For each segment market sizing and forecast have been done on basis of value (USD million).
|By Application Type|
|By Machinery Type|
Key Market Trends
Rising Infrastructure Development and Construction Activities
Infrastructure spending by the Australian Government and private players in the country is witnessing a notable rise over the past few years, thereby pushing the demand for machinery and equipment in the construction sector. According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, there has been a constant gradual increase in residential building construction activity in Australia.
Though there was a moderate slowdown in the construction sector owing to pandemic, the development of infrastructure across the country is anticipated to offer tremendous opportunities to construction machinery manufacturers to increase their revenues as equipment plays a vital role in these activities. Moreover, the country is witnessing significant foreign direct investment (FDI) in the construction sector. For instance,
- In 2020, there was approximately AUD 2.2 billion foreign direct investment into construction sector in Australia with highest FDI being registered in construction in 2019, with more than AUD 4.2 billion dollars.
Growing government initiatives to further accelerate infrastructure development in-country, in turn, boosting demand for construction machinery in the region. For instance,
- In May 2021, the Australian Government announced an additional USD 11.3 billion for infrastructure projects in its Federal Budget. This includes new funding to progress 15 early-stage investment opportunities.
A total of 100,865 new construction units, including dwelling units, private sector houses, and other residential buildings, were registered in just December 2020, with a 19.4% Y-o-Y increase from 2019. This shows that the construction industry is set to have great growth potential for the coming years.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Dump Trucks to Witness Significant Growth During Forecast Period
Dump trucks anticipated to hold largest market share in Australian construction machinery market during the forecast period. Automation of dump trucks is the ongoing trend in the Australian market, as concerns over safety and operating efficiency take center stage, particularly for the mining industry.
Dump trucks are needed on almost every construction site. They offer limited functions but perform the all-important task of moving and dumping many types of materials used in the construction site. Dump trucks come in many different sizes for different capacity and load needs, ranging from following the rising demand, manufacturers have started launching new products to gain their market share. For instance,
- In March 2020, Komatsu announced the launch of 230T capacity dump truck in Australia. This truck uses a Cummins QSK60 diesel engine, which has a horsepower of 2,500.m small utility-type trucks with dumping beds to enormous machines.
Increasing stringent emission norms has also led to raise in electric dump trucks demand in the country. However, the raise in demand for dump trucks has also led to many companies offering rental services. As the rental services eliminate the upfront investment and maintenance costs, it is anticipated that the growth in rental firms will have negative impact on this segment’s growth.
The Australian construction machinery market is a consolidated market dominated by major companies, such as Komatsu, Caterpillar Inc., John Deere & Co., XCMG, and Hitachi. The major players in the market are focusing on improving their product portfolio to widen their customer base. While some other key players aim at expanding their presence in the market through acquisitions, mergers, collaborations with other companies. For instance,
- In September 2021, Caterpillar Inc announced the development of its new Cat® M320 wheeled excavator aimed at optimizing performance and efficiency at the Jobsite with up to 9% more swing torque than the Cat M320F to improve efficiency.
- In March 2021, Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd announced that the company invested in Australian start-up Baraja Pty Ltd. Through its investment in Baraja, Hitachi Construction Machinery will use Baraja’s Spectrum-Scan™ LiDAR* technology to accelerate the pace of development for improvements to the autonomous haulage system (AHS) for dump trucks and autonomous operation of ultra-large hydraulic excavators.
- In August 2021, Komatsu announced its first fully electric remote-controlled mini excavator powered by a lithium-ion battery as its next-generation concept machine into the future.
- In May 2021, Kobelco Construction Machinery Australia (KCMA) has recently launched the first in a line of extra heavy-duty excavators in its XD Series, the SK500XDLC-10. The SK500XD is built for great durability, engineered to operate in harsh conditions for a variety of applications in Australia.
- In March 2021, Liebherr Group launched R 9600 hydraulic excavator, a successor to the R 996B, to start with the Australian market. This new development is based upon the successful R 9800 800-tonne excavator.
- In January 2021, Sumitomo Corporation and JGC Holdings Corporation, which operates the overseas engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) business of the JGC Group, have signed a Front EndEngineering and Design (FEED) contract for the hydrogen-related project planned by Sumitomo Corporation in Gladstone, Australia.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Application Type
5.1.1 Material Handling
5.1.2 Earth Moving
5.2 By Machinery Type
5.2.1 Hydraulic Excavators
5.2.2 Wheel Loaders
5.2.3 Crawler Trucks
5.2.4 Dump Trucks
5.2.5 Motor Graders
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Vendor Market Share
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Yanmar Construction Equipment Co Ltd
6.2.3 CNH Australia
6.2.4 Doosan Infracore Ltd
6.2.5 Hitachi Construction Machinery Co. Ltd
6.2.6 JCB Construction Equipment Australia
6.2.7 John Deere & Co.
6.2.8 Kobelco Construction Machinery Co. Ltd
6.2.9 Komatsu Ltd
6.2.10 Liebherr International
6.2.11 Manitou BF SA
6.2.12 Volvo Construction Equipment
6.2.13 Wacker Neuson
6.2.14 Sumitomo Corporation
6.2.15 XCMG Group
6.2.16 Sany Group
6.2.17 Shandong Lin gong Construction Machinery
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Australia Construction Machinery Market market is studied from 2018 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Australia Construction Machinery Market?
The Australia Construction Machinery Market is growing at a CAGR of 3.35% over the next 5 years.
What is Australia Construction Machinery Market size in 2018?
The Australia Construction Machinery Market is valued at 2381 Million USD in 2018.
What is Australia Construction Machinery Market size in 2026?
The Australia Construction Machinery Market is valued at 2981 Million USD in 2026.
Who are the key players in Australia Construction Machinery Market?
Caterpillar, Komatsu Ltd, John Deere & Co., XCMG Construction Machinery Co Ltd , Hitachi Construction Machinery Co Ltd are the major companies operating in Australia Construction Machinery Market.