Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market Size
|2021 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2021 - 2022
|> 4.00 %
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market Analysis
Turkmenistan's oil and gas market is projected to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period.
The market was negatively impacted by COVID-19. Presently, the market has reached pre-pandemic levels.
- Over the medium term, factors such as increasing investments and rising production of gas in the country are expected to boost the demand for the Turkmenistani oil and gas market during the forecast period.
- On the other hand, reluctance to open Turkmenistan up to foreign investment could restrain expansion plans in the sector.
- Nevertheless, many gas pipelines in the country are under construction and expected to be completed during the forecast period. These pipelines are expected to create new markets for natural gas exports and create an opportunity for the companies in the oil and gas sector.
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Turkmenistan Oil & Gas Market according to our research experts:
Midstream Sector to Witness Significant Growth
- The midstream sector pertains to the transport and storage of crude oil and natural gas extracted. It includes infrastructure, such as crude oil and natural gas pipelines, gas treatment plants, natural gas liquefaction plants, and liquefied gas and regasification storage.
- Traditionally, the world has been more dependent on oil for its primary energy needs. However, in the past few years, the growing concerns over emissions have resulted in increased consumption of natural gas, resulting in heavy investment in natural gas processing plants.
- Turkmenistan is China's largest natural gas supplier, with nearly 31 billion cubic meters exported in 2021, far ahead of Russia (10 billion cubic meters per year). Thus, China is Turkmenistan's largest customer, ahead of Russia (8.5 billion cubic meters per year).
- Natural gas production increased in the country by 20.15%, from 66 billion cubic meters in 2020 to 79.3 billion cubic meters in 2021. Consumption of gas in Turkmenistan increased by 24%, from 29.6 billion cubic meters in 2020 to 36.7 billion cubic meters in 2021. Thus, the increasing production is expected to boost the growth of the pipeline infrastructure.
- In November 2021, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, and Iran signed a trilateral agreement on a gas swap in Ashgabat. According to the agreement, 1.5-2 billion cubic meters of gas will be delivered annually, with Turkmenistan supplying gas to Iran and Iran delivering an equal quantity of gas to Azerbaijan.
- In October 2022, Turkmenistan planned to double its natural gas exports to China to 65 bcm/year, due to the construction of 30 bcm/year fourth line of the China-Turkmenistan gas pipeline, which is currently under construction. An agreement was reached between the two countries regarding the second phase of the Galkynysh gas field in Turkmenistan, which has proven commercial reserves of approximately 2,800 billion cubic meters. At present, the China-Turkmenistan gas pipeline can supply 55 billion cubic meters per year, and when fully completed, it would supply 85 billion cubic meters per year. In 2009, 2010 and 2014, the first three lines of the pipeline were commissioned. The completion date of the fourth line has not yet been announced.
- Due to these factors and the ongoing investments and developments in the midstream sector in the country are expected to boost the market during the forecast period.
Increasing Investment to Drive the Market
- The Turkmenistani oil industry is highly dependent upon natural gas resources, particularly natural gas from the Caspian Sea and onshore fields. According to official figures, Turkmenistan's reserves of natural gas are estimated to be 71.64 billion tons of oil equivalent, with 53 billion tons of natural gas located in onshore fields and 18.21 billion tons of natural gas located in offshore fields.
- In Turkmenistan, there was a 15.3% increase in oil production in 2021, rising from 10.4 million tons in 2017 to 12 million tons in 2021. The consumption of oil rose by 4.2%, from 140 thousand barrels per day in 2020 to 146 thousand barrels per day in 2021.
- According to the British Petroleum (BP) Statistical Review of World Energy for 2021, Turkmenistan had 600 million barrels of proven oil reserves and 19.5 trillion cubic meters of proven natural gas reserves at the end of 2020.
- In December 2022, Turkmenistan and major South Korean companies discussed and signed several agreements regarding the implementation of new investments in Turkmenistan's gas chemical complex. The project includes the construction of a gas processing plant in the Balkan province to produce diesel and naphtha by Hyundai Engineering, LX International Corp., and Japanese Itochu Corporation. Daewoo Engineering and Construction will construct a urea plant capable of producing 1.155 million ton of urea in the Balkan province and a phosphorus fertilizer plant capable of producing 300 thousand ton of phosphorus fertilizer in the Lebap province.
- In July 2022, during the term of the agreement, Dragon Oil, a fully-owned subsidiary of the Government of Dubai, renewed its partnership agreement with Turkmen Oil until May 2025 for a period of 10 additional years, with a value of USD 1 billion. To support expansion and development programs, the company is expected to invest an additional USD 7-8 billion during the extension period of the contract. In order to reach 350 million barrels of crude oil production by 2035, future production levels would range between 60,000 and 70,000 barrels per day.
- Therefore, the country's oil and gas industry is expected to grow slightly during the forecast period due to increasing oil and gas production in the region and rising investments in the oil and gas sector.
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Industry Overview
Turkmenistan's oil and gas market is moderately consolidated. Some of the major players in the market (in no particular order) include JSC Türkmengaz, PJSC Gazprom, China National Petroleum Corporation, JSC Uzbekneftegas, and Sinopec Oilfield Service Corporation.
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market Leaders
China National Petroleum Corporation
Sinopec Oilfield Service Corporation
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market News
- In August 2022, the President of Turkmenistan, Serdar Berdimuhamedov, signed an order allowing the Turkmennebit SOE to purchase 2,309 tons of drilling pipes from King Ease, a Chinese company. Drilling pipes were purchased for the purpose of overhauling oil and gas wells.
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of the Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Turkmenistan Crude Oil Consumption Forecast in thousand barrels per day, till 2027
4.3 Turkmenistan Natural Gas Consumption Forecast in billion cubic feet per day, till 2027
4.4 Refinery Installed Capacity and Forecast, till 2027
4.5 Recent Trends and Developments
4.6 Government Policies and Regulations
4.7 Market Dynamics
4.8 Supply Chain Analysis
4.9 PESTLE Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Location of Deployment
188.8.131.52.2 Key Project Information
184.108.40.206.2.1 Existing Projects
220.127.116.11.2.2 Projects in Pipeline
18.104.22.168.2.3 Upcoming Projects
22.214.171.124.2 Key Project Information
126.96.36.199.2.1 Existing Projects
188.8.131.52.2.2 Projects in Pipeline
184.108.40.206.2.3 Upcoming Projects
220.127.116.11 Key Project Information
18.104.22.168.1 Existing Infrastructure
22.214.171.124.2 Projects in Pipeline
126.96.36.199.3 Upcoming Projects
188.8.131.52 Key Project Information
184.108.40.206.1 Existing Infrastructure
220.127.116.11.2 Projects in Pipeline
18.104.22.168.3 Upcoming Projects
5.2.3 LNG Terminals
22.214.171.124 Key Project Information
126.96.36.199.1 Existing Infrastructure
188.8.131.52.2 Projects in Pipeline
184.108.40.206.3 Upcoming Projects
220.127.116.11 Key Project Information
18.104.22.168.1 Existing Infrastructure
22.214.171.124.2 Projects in Pipeline
126.96.36.199.3 Upcoming Projects
5.3.2 Petrochemicals Plants
188.8.131.52 Key Project Information
184.108.40.206.1 Existing Infrastructure
220.127.116.11.2 Projects in Pipeline
18.104.22.168.3 Upcoming Projects
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 JSC Türkmengaz
6.3.2 PJSC Gazprom
6.3.3 China National Petroleum Corporation
6.3.4 JSC Uzbekneftegas
6.3.5 Sinopec Oilfield Service Corporation
6.3.6 Halliburton Company
6.3.7 Dragon Oil PLC
6.3.8 Buried Hill Energy
6.3.10 Shell PLC
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market Research FAQs
What is the current Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market size?
The Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market is projected to register a CAGR of greater than 4% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market?
Türkmengaz, PJSC Gazprom, China National Petroleum Corporation, JSC Uzbekneftegas and Sinopec Oilfield Service Corporation are the major companies operating in the Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market.
What years does this Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market cover?
The report covers the Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market historical market size for years: 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Turkmenistan Oil and Gas Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Oil and Gas in Turkmenistan Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Oil and Gas in Turkmenistan market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Oil and Gas in Turkmenistan analysis includes a market forecast outlook 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.