North America Concentrated Solar Power Industry Overview
|Study Period:||2019 - 2028|
|Fastest Growing Market:||North America|
|Largest Market:||North America|
|CAGR:||> 2.5 %|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Analysis
North America concentrated solar power (CSP) market is expected to grow at a CAGR of more than 2.5% in the forecast period of 2022-2027. North America is the leading region in the implementation of renewable energy technology. This can be ascribed to the ease of availability of sustainable technologies and infrastructure in the region. During the Covid-19 pandemic, due to lockdown and cross-border restrictions, there were limitations on the movement of manpower and supply of goods & raw materials in North America. Furthermore, the lockdown resulted in lower demand for electricity from commercial and industrial facilities, as these facilities were completely shut down during the pandemic. However, due to the rise in the investment in renewable energy solutions in all major countries in North America, the market is expected to grow in a couple of years. Moreover, the government's supportive policies and reduction in solar energy technology costs are expected to drive the market during the forecast period. However, higher initial investment and operational costs, compared to solar PV technology, are anticipated to hinder the market's growth during the forecast period.
- The Power tower project is expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. This technology accounts for 60% of the projects. The system provides higher efficiency as the concentration of light is onto a one single receiver which yields higher temperature.
- According to the International Renewable Energy Agency, Mexico is expected to provide opportunities for CSP market in the near future. The country has potential to generate 60 GW of wind and solar energy by 2030. Futhermore, the country is also aiming to utilize 21% of its the renewable enegry by 2030. To achieve this Mexico need annual addition of 1.7 GW of wind energy, 1.5 GW of solar photovoltaic PV and 100 MW concentrated solar power.
- The United States has dominated the concentrated solar power market. The government's supportive policies for the research and development of concentrated solar power plants are expected to drive the market in the country.
North America Concentrated Solar Power Industry Segments
The Scope of North America concentrated solar power market includes:-
|Rest of North America|
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the North America Concentrated Solar Power Market according to our research experts:
The Power Tower is Expected to Dominate the Market
- The power tower systems are expected to witness higher demand during the forecast period. These systems could efficiently achieve high temperatures with the help of high concentration ratios by using different configurations of the collector field and receiver. Solar power towers have high-temperature cycles, which permit higher efficiency in converting solar radiation to electricity; this could result in the reduction of the Levelized energy cost.
- These systems have the potential to operate in temperatures higher than 1000°C. However, there are few technological barriers due to which CSP companies can only use CSP plants at temperatures in the range of 600–800°C. Thus, the companies are developing CSP, which could utilize higher temperatures than the current CSP plants. This increase in efficiency would further reduce the Levelized energy cost.
- The presence of concentrated solar power projects in North America since the 1980s. Increased focus and investment in renewable energy projects to limit carbon and greenhouse gases emission is expected to drive the concentrated solar power market in the region. In 2010 the total CSP capacity was around 535 MW, and in 2020 the CSP capacity was around 1818 MW.
- Hence, the power tower systems are expected to dominate the market for concentrated solar power during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
The United States to Dominate the Market
- North America is one of the leading regions in installing concentrated solar power projects. The region witnessed 1st concentrated solar power in 1979 near Albuquerque, New Mexico, the United States. The project's total capacity is 5 MW and is still operational.
- The United States is the leading country in the region regarding the project installed and the overall capacity of concentrated solar power projects. In 2021, the United States contributes more than 95% market share in North America's concentrated solar power market.
- In 2021, the United States had 26 projects which generated around 1,810 MW of energy from concentrated solar power, whereas in 2010, concentrated solar power generation was about 535 MW.
- The U.S. Department of Energy Solar Energy Technologies Office (SETO) provides financial and technical support for CSP research and development projects. In this, the department focuses on improving performance, reducing operational cost, and improving the life & reliability of materials, components, and integrated solutions for CSP technologies. Therefore, in total concentrated solar power is expected to have significant growth in the market.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Competitor Analysis
North America concentrated solar power market is moderately fragmented. Some of the key players in the market include CSP Ultra Lite Solar. , BrightSource Energy, Inc., EnergyNest AS., ENGIE, and ACCIONA.
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Top Players
CSP Ultra Lite Solar.
BrightSource Energy, Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Recent Developments
No recent developments since the market is stagnant from 2017 till now
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Scope of Study
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET OVERVIEW
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Installed CSP Capacity and Forecast in xMW, till 2027
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Parabolic Trough
5.1.2 Linear Fresnel
5.1.3 Power Tower
5.2.2 United States
5.2.3 Rest of North America
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 CSP Ultra Lite Solar.
6.2.2 BrightSource Energy, Inc.
6.2.3 EnergyNest AS.
6.2.7 NextEra Energy, Inc.
6.2.8 Siemens Energy
6.2.9 Heliogen, Inc.
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
North America Concentrated Solar Power Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market is studied from 2019 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market?
The North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market is growing at a CAGR of >2.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market?
North America is growing at the highest CAGR over 2019 - 2028.
Which region has largest share in North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market?
North America holds highest share in 2021.
Who are the key players in North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market?
CSP Ultra Lite Solar. , BrightSource Energy, Inc., EnergyNest AS., ACCIONA , Abengoa are the major companies operating in North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Market.
North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) Industry Reports
In-depth industry statistics and market share insights of the North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) sector for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) research report provides a comprehensive outlook of the market size and an industry growth forecast for 2023 to 2028. Available to download is a free sample file of the North America Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) report PDF.