The smartphones market is expected to grow enormously. Modular smartphone is a new format of smartphones that is made up of multiple modules with individual functionality. Phonebloks was, in fact, the first modular phone concept that gained a widespread social media attention in the year 2013. It was then when Google and Motorola partnered up with Phonebloks and announced the ‘Project Ara’.
The focus of Project Ara is to develop compatible modules that could be integrated into the upcoming smart devices that could give the consumers the option to have a one-of-a-kind phone with features as per their desire and requirements.
The consumers have always preferred having the option of being able to customize their products and with the breakthrough of modular design or technology, the consumers will be able to customize their phone’s hardware in a similar manner.
Companies such as Sennheiser, Toshiba, Audio Modules, Infinite Entertainment, ChipDesign, Solon and many others have also invested largely in the development of modular phones.
The modular phones are going to include a range of components such as audio jack, battery, Bluetooth, camera, GPS, storage (RAM and permanent storage), wi-fi and more. Each of these components will possess individual functionality and these components when integrated with the main board of the smartphone, will function as per the modules attached to it.
The modular design or technology is going to open up big opportunities for home appliances market and other consumer electronic wearables or smart devices market such as laptops, tablets. The modular design of the mobile phones could be applied or extended to other consumer electronic products like tablets, laptops and more.
Smartphone market leaders like Samsung and Apple may be the potential entrants of the modular smartphones market. The increasing demand for smart devices over the coming years among the current generation of consumers is going to be the major driving factor for the market for smartphones or mobile devices with the modular design capability.
Low product cost and development time of these electronic components is going to give the modular smartphones market a competitive edge in the present highly competitive smartphones market. The performance of these modules is also expected to be better than the current functionalities of a typical smartphone.
The study, besides estimating the modular smartphones market potential between 2016 and 2021, analyzes on who can be the market leaders and what partnerships would help them to capture the market share. The report gives an overview of the dynamics of the market, by discussing various aspects such as drivers, restraints, Porter’s five forces, value-chain, customer acceptance and investment scenario.
The study in brief deals with the product life cycle, comparing it to the relevant products from across industries that had already been commercialized. It approximates the time for innovation, in order for the industry to maintain a stable growth over a sustained period. The report also details the potential for various applications, discussing the recent product innovations and gives an overview on potential regional market shares.
Key Deliverables in the Study
- Market analysis for the modular smartphones, with region-specific assessments and competition analysis on a global and regional scale.
- Market definition along with the identification of key drivers and restraints.
- Identification of factors instrumental in changing the market scenario, rising prospective opportunities, and identification of key companies that can influence this market on a global and regional scale.
- Extensively researched competitive landscape section with profiles of major companies along with their market share.
- Identification and analysis of the macro and micro factors that affect the modular smartphones on both global and regional scale.
- A comprehensive list of key market players along with the analysis of their current strategic interests and key financial information.
- A wide-ranging knowledge and insights about the major players in this industry and the key strategies adopted by them to sustain and grow in the studied market.
- Insights into the major countries/regions where this industry is growing and also identify the regions that are still untapped.
1.3 Study Deliverables
1.4 Scope of the Study
1.5 Research Methodology
2. Executive Summary
3. Market Overview
3.1 Current Market Scenario
3.2 Market Drivers
3.3 Market Restraints
3.4 Market Trends
3.5 Recent Innovations and Product Developments
4. Market Dynamics
4.1 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.1.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.1.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.1.3 Degree of Competition
4.1.4 Threat of Substitution
4.1.5 Threat of New Entrants
4.2 Product Life Cycle Analysis
4.3 Value-Chain Analysis
4.4 Customer Acceptance/Adaptability
4.5 Comparative Analysis
4.6 Investment Scenario
5. Market Potential - Size, Forecast, Trends & Opportunities
5.1 Market Definition
5.2 Market Size Forecast
5.3 Regional Market Analysis
6. Competitive Landscape
6.1 Current Market Landscape
6.2 Potential Entrants
6.3 Market Share Estimation