The Global feed antibiotics market was estimated at a value of about USD 3161.14 million in 2017. The industry is forecasted to register a CAGR of 3.91%, during the forecast period.
Increased Industrial Livestock Production
The livestock sector has seen significant changes in the past decades, since the demand for food derived from animals has been increasing globally, at a faster pace. The surge in this demand has been fulfilled by commercial livestock production and their associated food chains. According to the World Bank, industrialized meat production is growing six times faster than traditional meat production methods. With an increase in mass production of meat, change is observed in landless meat production facilities. Additionally, the meat production industry is moving towards consolidation, especially in developed parts of the world, such as the United States and Europe, to increase meat production with reduced land usage. For example, in the United States, the growth of Concentrated Animal Feed Operations (CAFO) has occurred rapidly in the past decade, and similar models are getting popular in other parts of the world, with the help of government and other financial institutions.
Feedlot raised animals are kept indoors for the majority of the year, and are given compound feed to enhance their growth, and supply them with essential nutrients, thereby, driving the market for feed additives and additives. Large-scale meat production can lead to high water consumption with soil and water contamination; an estimated 60% to 90% of nitrogen and phosphorous consumed by animals acts as a pollutant in the form of animal waste. To combat this, feed additives play an important role in reducing phosphate and ammonia content in animal waste. The use of feed additives increases water retention in livestock, thus enhancing meat quality and mass.
Source: Meat Institute
Regulatory issues are the biggest constraints in the compound feed industry. Animal feed production comes under feedstuff regulations, in most countries. The regulatory framework is increasingly getting stringent, such as in 2006 in EU, and in 2009 in United States, which banned the use of certain antibiotics as growth promoters in animals. Europe had imposed a ban on the use of animal proteins in aqua feed.
Many countries, including China, Thailand, and Vietnam that export fish to Europe and United States, do not have such regulations against antibiotics or animal proteins usage in animals or feeds. Such disparities in regulations have adverse effects on the global fish & aqua feed trade, especially between developed & developing economies. Producers of feed and feed additives are required to follow strict regulations related to regional and national health & safety, for their products approval in the developed nations. This, ultimately, affects the cost of the final products. Such regulatory initiatives are posing challenges for existing feed products, and increasing the cost of new feeds development.
Key Developments in the Market:
- January 2018: Federal Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister announced that from Dec. 1, 2018, the over-the-counter antibiotics will require a prescription from a veterinarian
- January 2018: Agricultural Research Service (ARS) scientists found the naturally produced L-glutamine to act as an alternative to the antibiotics that can be used to feed pigs
Major Players: Bayer Healthcare Ag, Eli Lilly And Co., Novartis Ag, Pfizer Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report:
- Provides latest insights into the Global Feed Antibiotics Market
- Gives a detailed analysis of the competitive landscape in the automotive industry, segmented by antibiotic type, animal type, and by geography
- Analyses the market scenario with the help of Porter’s Five Forces Analysis.
- Forecasts the market volume and value by assessing the impact of the market drivers and constraints
- 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet in excel.
Answers questions like
- Are the European nations still using antibiotics to feed the farm animals?
- What are the advancements taking place in the field of antibiotics?
- Who will lead the feed antibiotics market in Asia?
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs
1.1 Research Methodology
1.2 General Study Assumptions
2. Research Methodology
2.2 Analysis Methodology
2.3 Study Assumptions
2.4 Econometric Forecast Model
3. Executive Summary
4. Market Overview and Technology Trends
4.1 Current Market Scenario
4.2 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of the Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.2.5 Competitive Rivalry within the Industry
5. Market Dynamics
5.1.1 Industrialization of Livestock Industry
5.1.2 Expansion of Animal Meat Market
5.1.3 Changing Demographics in Asia-Pacific and South America
5.1.4 Livestock Disease Outbreak Fuelling Additives Market
5.2.1 Competition for Raw Materials With Other Industries
5.2.2 Price Volatility of Agri-Commodities
5.2.3 Regulatory Framework & Subsequent Ban in Some Markets
5.3.1 Demand in Asia-Pacific Market
5.3.2 Rise in the Cost of Natural Feeds
6. Global Feed Antibiotics Market Segmentation, by Type
7. Global Feed Antibiotics Market Segmentation, by Animal Type
8. Global Feed Antibiotics Market Segmentation, by Geography
8.1 North America
8.1.1 United States
8.1.4 Rest of North America
8.2.2 United Kingdom
8.2.7 Rest of the Europe
8.3.6 Rest of the Asia-Pacific
8.4 South America
8.5 Middle East & Africa
8.5.1 Saudi Arabia
8.5.4 South Africa
9. Competitive landscape
9.2 Market Share Analysis
10. Company profiles
10.1 Bayer HealthCare AG
10.2 Cubist Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
10.5 Sanofi-Aventis SA
10.6 LG Life Sciences Limited
10.7 Luitpold Pharmaceuticals