Germany Container Glass Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Germany Container Glass Market Analysis
The Germany Container Glass Market is expected to register a CAGR of 3.2% over the forecast period 2022-2027. The rise in demand for packed food & beverage items has led to a rise in demand for soda-lime-silica-based glass for storage of a wide range of food ingredients. Container glass is a very suitable option as a packaging material supported by its superior attributes of sterility, reusability, chemical stability, durability, non-permeability, and malleability.
- The growth in population in the country in recent years has led to a rise in the building & construction sector where soda-lime-silica-based glass is used in windowpanes, owing to their hardness and ease of workability. E.g. population of Germany rose by 0.14% from 2020 to 2021 which is a significant rise to increase demands in various sectors, especially food. Alcoholic beverages were the largest end-user of glass material packaging in 2020, primarily driven by the beer & cider sector.
- Glass containers for food and beverages are 100% recyclable and hence can be recycled endlessly without loss in quality or purity - something few food and beverage packaging options can claim. Manufacturers benefit from recycling in several ways: Recycled glass reduces emissions and consumption of raw materials, extends the life of plant equipment, such as furnaces, and saves energy. There are over 250,000 used glass container collection points in Germany, which are used by 97 percent of all German households.
- However, container glass is manufactured by a process called annealing in which different air polluting compounds such as nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxides, and other harmful particulates are released. Exposure to these harmful compounds at high concentrations can cause severe respiratory diseases such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, mucus secretion, and lung cancer.
- Moreover, particulates released during the final stage of container glass manufacturing are even more dangerous as they are smaller in size (around 10 micrometers or even smaller) and cause several health-related disorders, once they enter the respiratory tract. These factors can hinder the growth rate of the glass Container market in Germany.
- The majority of end-users of container glass such as foods & beverages, chemicals, and others have been negatively impacted, owing to the ongoing pandemic outbreak, which has disrupted the supply chains globally.
- According to WHO, in May 2021, a total of 30,631,299 COVID-19 vaccine doses had been administered in Germany, Thus, this has increased the need for vaccines, especially for vials, bottles, and ampoules, surging since research began into finding a vaccine against COVID-19, increasing the demand for glass packaging in the country.
Germany Container Glass Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Germany Container Glass Market according to our research experts:
Pharmaceutical Sector to Witness Significant Growth
- Germany is the European Union's leading pharma manufacturing and R&D location. It holds some of the world's prominent pharmaceutical glass packaging companies, such as Gerresheimer AG and Schott AG. These companies are continuously expanding their footprints in the region through product launches and capacity expansion.
- For instance, Aenova Holding GMBH produces 70 million vials, 250 million ampoules, and 120 million syringes on average, respectively, every year. Glass manufacturers have been key players in the reuse and recycling system of Germany. In October 2020, Gerresheimer began producing glass with a higher proportion of recycled glass at the Tettau site in Germany.
- Moreover, Vendors in the market have been supplying vials for more than 100 coronavirus vaccine trials worldwide. For instance, Schott AG introduced vials made of Borosilicate glass that can withstand temperatures from -80 to 500 degrees Celsius for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. The temperature required to store the vaccine is -70 degrees centigrade, hence making the company's products suitable to be used widely.
- The German Pharmaceutical sector showed the highest research intensity among all major German industries - about 12.5 % of revenues were reinvested in R&D in 2018. With 499 clinical trials financed by research-based pharmaceutical companies in 2019, Germany ranked fifth worldwide, directly behind the USA, China, Spain, and the UK. Building on the competencies, many German organizations have become key contributors in the global fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Significant Demand from Beverage Packaging
- Alcoholic drinks comprise one of the most lucrative segments within the beverages industry, accounting for a higher market share in terms of volume in comparison to other end-use applications. Due to an increase in alcoholic beverage consumption, Germany is expected to remain one of the highly lucrative markets for glass containers.
- As per the American Addiction Centers, Inc. (AAC), an average citizen in Germany consumes 11.3 liters of alcohol in a year while the global average is 8.9 liters.
- Alcoholic beverages were the largest end-user of glass material packaging in 2020, primarily driven by the beer & cider sector. Glass packaging is strong and transparent which offers a premium image while providing longer shelf life to the products.
- Germany's imports of beverages, spirits, and vinegar were USD 9.65 Billion in 2021, according to the United Nations COMTRADE database on international trade.
- With an annual per capita consumption level of 168 liters, coffee remains the country's most popular drink. In 2020, the average per capita consumption of mineral water and soft drinks reached 134.5 liters and 114.4 liters respectively. In the same year, the industry produced non-alcoholic beverages worth EUR 8.4 billion. Segments with dynamic growth were fruit juice lemonade light (+48.6 percent) and vitamin, mineral & energy drinks (+20.7 percent). All of these factors are playing a key role in the glass packaging market too.
Germany Container Glass Industry Overview
The Germany Container Glass Market is moderately competitive, with a considerable number of regional and global players. The properties of glass and its benefits to beverages, cosmetics, and other industries are leading to the increased adoption of glass bottles, containers, vials, and ampoules. Players in the market adopt strategies such as product innovation, partnerships, mergers, and acquisitions to increase their market share and further recyclability driving the market.
- September 2021 - SCHOTT signed an agreement to acquire Applied Microarrays Inc., an Arizona-based microarray solutions company that extends SCHOTT's manufacturing presence in the United States and strengthens its bioscience capabilities.
- March 2021 - The Stoelzle Glass Group acquired Anchor Hocking Glass Company, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Oneida Group in Monaca, Pennsylvania, to serve customers internationally. Stoelzle Glass Group is an international producer of high-end packaging glass for spirits, perfumery, and cosmetics.
Germany Container Glass Market Leaders
Systempack Manufaktur GmbH
O-I Germany GmbH & Co. KG
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Germany Container Glass Market News
- February 2021 - Ardagh Group launched Absolut's latest limited-edition vodka bottle Absolut Movement to inspire people to celebrate inclusivity. The frosted blue glass bottle features an upward spiral design of 16 swirls, symbolic of the never-ending cycle of change. The upward flow of the swirling spiral indicates social growth.
- July 2022 - The Gerresheimer Group has been working for more than a decade to ensure that its glass containers are produced with no more energy than is necessary for sustainable production for the pharma, cosmetics, and food industries. This is why Gerresheimer is pursuing a large-scale hybrid furnace, aiming to build a glass melting furnace for white glass in 2023 for its plant in Lohr, Germany with approximately 50% electrical glass melting fed by renewable energies. It covers half of the required melting energy in the furnace with green electricity and the other half with natural gas - saving significantly more CO2 than conventional technology.
Germany Container Glass Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.4 COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Glass containers for food and beverages are 100% recyclable and hence can be recycled endlessly without loss in quality or purity - something few food and beverage packaging options can claim. Manufacturers benefit from recycling in several ways: Recycled glass reduces emissions and consumption of raw materials, extends the life of plant equipment, such as furnaces, and saves energy.
5.1.2 The growth in population in the country in the recent years has led to a rise in the building & construction sector where soda-lime-silica-based glass is used in windowpanes, owing to their hardness and ease of workability.
5.2 Market Restraints
5.2.1 However, container glass is manufactured by a process called annealing in which different air polluting compounds such as nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxides, and other harmful particulates are released. Exposure to these harmful compounds at high concentrations can cause severe respiratory diseases such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, mucus secretion, and lung cancer.
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 End-user Industry
6.1.5 Other End user verticals
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Gerresheimer AG
7.1.2 Schott AG
7.1.3 Wiegand-Glas GmBH
7.1.4 Saint-Gobain Oberland AG (Verallia Deutschland)
7.1.5 Rixius AG
7.1.6 HEINZ-GLAS GmbH
7.1.7 Glaswerk Ernstthal GmbH
7.1.8 Systempack Manufaktur GmbH
7.1.9 Ardagh Group
7.1.10 O-I Germany GmbH & Co. KG
- *List Not Exhaustive
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Germany Container Glass Market Research FAQs
What is the current Germany Container Glass Market size?
The Germany Container Glass Market is projected to register a CAGR of 3.2% during the forecast period (2023-2028).
Who are the key players in Germany Container Glass Market?
Gerresheimer AG, Schott AG, Systempack Manufaktur GmbH, Ardagh Group and O-I Germany GmbH & Co. KG are the major companies operating in the Germany Container Glass Market.
Germany Container Glass Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Germany Container Glass market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Germany Container Glass analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.