Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The France POS Terminal market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 13.8 % over the forecast period (2022 - 2027). The POS terminal industry has grown significantly in recent years, owing to its capacity to provide a higher return on investment and ease of use. POS systems, which permit transactions from the key component of organizations in areas such as retail, hospitality, transportation, and banking, have grown in popularity in enterprises of all sizes over the years.
- When a credit or debit card is used to pay for anything, a conventional point-of-sale (POS) terminal reads the magnetic strip, sees if there is enough money to send to the merchant, and then makes the transfer. The sale transaction is documented, and a receipt is printed, emailed, or texted to the consumer.
- The current trend is toward software-based POS systems installed onto a tablet or mobile device rather than traditional proprietary hardware. POS terminal manufacturers are launching their versions of portable and mobile POS equipment to stay ahead of the competition.
- Merchants now have a variety of PoS terminals to choose from, depending on their needs. With soft POS, businesses can easily transform their existing cellphones into POS terminals by installing simple software, eliminating the need for extra hardware installation, or employing personnel trained to administer this software which drives the market growth.
- POS devices can be seen in popular retail stores and restaurants where owners understand consumers do not prefer waiting to pay for a product or meal. Price, function, and user-friendliness are all essential considerations for POS system purchasers. The security of the systems is necessary in today's increasingly interconnected world. Some high-profile data breaches have happened using POS terminals with out-of-date operating systems. This can be a challenge for the POS terminal market.
- The COVID-19 pandemic increased demand for contactless payments, necessitating the installation of POS terminals equipped with NFC, RFID, and other technologies capable of receiving payments via contactless chip cards or digital interface cards.
Scope of the Report
A point-of-sale (POS) terminal is a hardware system for processing card payments at retail locations. A point-of-sale (POS) system combines computer hardware and software that manages transactions while selling a product or service. Software to read magnetic strips of credit and debit cards is embedded in the hardware. It helps in storing, collecting, sharing, and reporting sales transaction data. It improves the shopping experience and speeds up the checkout process, resulting in increased consumer satisfaction. Inventory management, stock in hand, product availability, and price information are the primary data obtained from the systems.
France POS Terminal Market is segmented by Mode of Payment Acceptance(Contact-based, Contactless ), by Type( Fixed Point-of-sale Systems, Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems), by End-User Industry (Retail, Hospitality, Healthcare)
|Fixed Point-of-sale Systems|
|Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems|
|By End-User Industry|
Key Market Trends
Increased Payments from NFC-Compatible Smartphones and Smart Cards
- NFC is a wireless data transfer method that allows smartphones, laptops, tablets, and other devices to share data nearby. NFC technology enables contactless payments using mobile wallets such as Apple Pay and Android Pay, as well as contactless cards. When an NFC-enabled smartphone or a credit or debit card is tapped against a POS terminal, then payment credentials are exchanged. This increases transaction efficiency.
- The increasing number of supermarkets, specialty stores, and hypermarkets are driving increased demand for NFC POS terminals. France is one of the major countries contributing the highest revenue share in the NFC POS terminal market. Some factors stimulating the need for NFC POS terminals include an increasing preference for NFC-compatible smartphones for payment among the France population.
- Because of security threats, updated hardware created for the market is centered on facilitating smoother transactions. However, the forced separation caused by the epidemic has accelerated the development of contactless payments with distinct authentication capabilities.
- The inclusion of cameras and fingerprint sensors forces bigger form shapes. However, this is offset by industry innovations that allow manufacturers to go smaller in pursuing micro-electronics. Some companies in France were also offering Contactless and built to accept regular credit card transactions and contactless facial biometrics as alternatives to facial verification; NFC, RFID, chip, and magnetic stripe card transactions are also enabled.
- According to a survey conducted by Worldpay, approximately 16.03% of the value of Point of Sale transactions has increased from 2019 to 2024. In 2020, payments in France had influenced by the COVID-19 pandemic. The stores were (temporarily) closed, leading to a decline in the value of POS transactions.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Retail Sector driving the growth of POS Terminal Market
- Due to substantial discounts and other services, a rising number of retail establishments throughout regions attract clients; however, customer retention becomes the key difficulty for them to continue in the market. This rivalry raises the need for businesses to rethink their business models to compete on pricing and strike a balance between investing in new technology and generating income.
- The features provided by POS terminals, such as sales reporting, inventory, financial management, and customer analytics features, help merchants address client retention challenges. As a result, the demand for client retention and increased competitiveness in the market drive the rise of POS terminals.
- Taking advantage of the industry's expanding spectrum of digital solutions, several retailers have invested in high-tech improvements for their storefronts and expanded their multichannel offerings.
- The prospect of the 2024 Olympic Games and the international reputation of "Maison France" is a new point of appeal for multinational firms trying to strengthen their position in the French market. The excitement of the leading luxury merchants is supported by significant growth in the global turnover of the major luxury groups, with a strong French representation in the international rankings.
- According to the Banque de France, Adjusted for seasonal and working day take-ups, retail trade turnover was down 0.8 percent in April 2022 compared to March 2022. Food sales climbed by 1.9 percent, while manufactured goods sales decreased by 3.0 percent, influenced by a drop in new car sales and furniture sales, which fell by 6.9 percent and 7.5 percent, respectively. Over the previous three months (Jan2022-March2022), manufactured goods sales increased by 3.7 percent, led by consumer electronics, which dropped by 6.5 percent in April but increased by 6.5 percent over the three months.
- According to a survey by the Federation of E-Commerce and Distance Selling (FEVAD), E-commerce accounted for approximately 14.1 percent of all retail sales in France in 2021. There is an increment of 13.4 percent from the previous year. Moreover, in 2021, e-commerce sales in France amounted to about 129 billion euros.
The France POS Terminal Market is moderately competitive, with a considerable number of regional players. The companies leverage strategic collaborative initiatives, acquisitions, and product launches to increase market share and profitability.
- April 2022- PayPal launched Zettle Terminal in France, an all-in-one point-of-sale (POS) solution that offers increased in-store mobility for small businesses. Zettle Terminal can be customized to fit merchants' preferences – sellers can choose a terminal with an integrated barcode scanner to speed up sales and daily tasks.
- April 2022 - Worldline has announced that it has been chosen by Monoprix to deploy its payment platform in all of its 700 stores in 250 cities in France, across its six banners: Monoprix, monop', monop'daily, monop'beauty, mono station, and Naturalia.
- March 2022 - PayXpert launched "PayXpress" and partnered with NetPay to sell android POS devices to merchants in France, Spain, and Taiwan. The PayXpress POS solution is ideal for travel, hospitality, and retail merchants, including hotels, restaurants, transport/taxi services, and luxury fashion brands. The solution enables merchants to accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Alipay, and WeChat on one single POS device.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definitions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHT
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Sizing and Estimates of France POS Terminals Market
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.5 Assessment of COVID-19 Impact on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Market Drivers
5.1.1 Increased Payments from NFC-Compatible Smartphones and Smart Cards
5.1.2 Retail Sector Adopting the NFC POS Solutions Considerably
5.1.3 Significant Rise in the Demand for Contactless and Mobile POS Terminals
5.2 Market Challenges
5.2.1 Problems With Transaction Limit Installation Costs
5.2.2 Security Concerns Due to the Usage of Sensitive Information
5.3 Market Opportunities
5.3.1 Rising Adoption of Contactless Payment
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 BY Type
6.1.1 Fixed Point-of-sale Systems
6.1.2 Mobile/Portable Point-of-sale Systems
6.2 By End-User Industry
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 Ingenico Group (Worldline)
7.1.2 PayXpert LTD
7.1.3 Zettle (PayPal)
7.1.4 SumUp Limited
7.1.5 PAX Technology
7.1.6 myPOS World Ltd
7.1.7 NEC Corporation
7.1.8 AURES Group
7.1.11 Innovorder SAS
8. Investment Analysis
9. Future Outlook of the Market
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The France POS Terminal Market market is studied from 2020 - 2027.
What is the growth rate of France POS Terminal Market?
The France POS Terminal Market is growing at a CAGR of 13.8% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in France POS Terminal Market?
Ingenico Group (Worldline), PayXpert LTD, Zettle (PayPal), SumUp Limited, PAX Technology are the major companies operating in France POS Terminal Market.