Europe Packaging Automation Market Size
|2019 - 2029
|Base Year For Estimation
|Forecast Data Period
|2024 - 2029
|Historical Data Period
|2019 - 2022
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Packaging Automation Market Analysis
The key factors driving the packaging automation market growth are manufacturers' increasing concern about worker safety and the increasing development of advanced technologies such as autonomous robots, packaging robots, and digital manufacturing. The region is expected to record a CAGR of 5.8% for the forecast period (2021-2026).
- Packaging is a dominant element in the design of any product. The consumer goods industry is working to reduce the time between product development and delivery to the point of sale. Therefore, rapid packaging is critical to maintaining the short-term time-to-market for consumer products and is a critical component of product success. The market competition requires manufacturers to take adequate measures to cut costs. Measures to cut costs mean automating various manual processes and raising the level of semi-automated processes.
- Recent advances in fully integrating industrial robots into automation systems that can control both worlds with a single brain have proven crucial in the packaging industry, especially in highly automated lines.
- With the development of autonomous mobile robots (AMRs) and collaborative robots, this means manufacturers can improve operations in areas previously not seen with robots, such as final packaging, repacking, in-house logistics.
- In terms of packaging automation solutions, palletizers are expected to witness the fastest growth due to growing demand from key end-user sectors such as pharmaceutical, chemical, and food processing. The advanced robotic palletizing system can palletize multiple production lines simultaneously, significantly reducing costs and increasing productivity.
- Moreover, the COVID-19 pandemic has accelerated the demand for automated packaging, especially in the pharmaceutical market; as the labor manual count has cut down during the pandemic period, automated systems are keeping the patients and pharmacists safe by reducing contact. Pharmaceutical packaging and medication verification have been done by machines that can check the size, color, shape, and quantity of each medicine in each bag quickly, accurately, and safely.
Europe Packaging Automation Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Europe Packaging Automation Market according to our research experts:
eCommerce automated case and other packaging to hold high demand
Warehouse automation and similar technologies are becoming key differentiators in the fast-growing world of e-commerce, where a 1-2-day delivery guarantee is now the norm. Retailers and brands are looking for new ways to meet customer expectations for ever-increasing order volumes and fast delivery.
- Today's warehouse automation market offers more options than ever, which must be considered for any automation initiative to be successful. In addition to manual warehousing processes, third-party logistics providers can implement various types of automation to reduce lead times effectively, including packaging machines.
- Small businesses that only need to automate one or two tasks can benefit from this technology. Automation solutions can also help businesses alleviate labor shortages by relocating packaging workers to other jobs. Modern packaging automation solutions can partially or fully automate processes, allowing businesses to increase throughput without hiring additional staff.
- Many company s are using automated packing and picking solutions for eCommerce products. Solutions that can make boxes and create cases to the exact size of the product that has to be shipped are becoming a new trend in the industry across the region.
- As the pressure on e-commerce businesses grows, staying competitive has never been more challenging. It can be challenging to achieve good results, especially without the right skills. Packaging automation platforms and technologies, such as RFID inventory tracking systems can provide valuable support to a company's packaging lines. As the demand for online shopping grows, these systems will become even more critical.
- Various tools are available to help brands choose suitable packaging, many of which are environmentally friendly (e.g., using environmentally friendly void fillers and paper tape). When analyzing key factors such as logistical issues and storage environments, a brand or retailer may find that an automated packaging system is ideal for creating custom cartons, eliminating the need for plastic, and providing the desired increase in capacity.
United Kingdom to lead the packaging automation in the region
With the recent focus on reducing food and packaging waste, using automated packaging to create longer shelf-life foods could help retailers simplify purchasing management and unlock new revenue streams for the food in the country.
United Kingdom manufacturing industries are widely installed with Jacob White's s automatic cartoning machines across the country. Packaging everything from the most delicate paper products to pharmaceutical, food, and beverage solutions, and with stringent regulations across many of the UK's industries, Jacob White is a popular choice for everything from the UK's biggest brands to the minor production lines. Jacob White has a large customer base in the UK and is a global supplier of high-quality packaging solutions.
But the importance of packaging goes beyond food safety. It is a multi-step process that includes dosing, packaging, and labeling, and continuous improvement through automation can quickly bring significant benefits to your operations.
Further, one of the UK's tissue manufacturers looking to bring large-format tissues to their production lines needed a tissue packaging machine to handle more oversized products while maintaining the speed and delicacy demanded by their production lines. The cartons can be automatically picked and collected by the rotating vacuum system, and the full wipes are automatically sealed and ejected from the carton machine.
Intelligent packaging equipment can automatically calculate product weight to collect batches with precisely specified target weights. This prevents the spread of excess products and the sale of low-weight packages. Automated packaging simplifies order fulfillment and offers a wide range of products. The automated process is also very flexible, allowing you to manage fluctuations in demand at the touch of a button.
Europe Packaging Automation Industry Overview
The Europe Packaging Automation Market is fragmented due to the presence of major players such as JLS Automation, Mitsubishi, Rockwell Automation, Swisslog Holding AG, and more. These players are increasing the market demand by investing and innovating more automated packaging solutions with the use of technologies in Europe.
- March 2020 - Swisslog Logistics unveiled its new robotic item picking paired with Autostore, known as ItemPiQ. ItemPiQ makes robotics available in more places than ever before. The system is based on a lightweight 6-axis KUKA robot and a vision system with a 3D camera and intelligent image recognition software.
- April 2021 - Rockwell Automation has partnered with Comau to simplify Robot Integration for manufacturers. The partnership is a collaborative development and selling model that offers the unified robot control product to both companies' customers. This partnership helps to meet the needs of a variety of industries such as automotive to logistics, food and beverage packaging, and more.
- July 2021 - JLS demonstrated robotic carton closing at PAck Expo Las Vegas. It is called the JLS TRAK, a high-speed carton management system that is combined with Peregrine's positive carton transport system; this JLS TRAK robot simultaneously closes the carton, picks it up, and places it on a discharge.
Europe Packaging Automation Market Leaders
Swisslog Holding AG
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Packaging Automation Market News
- March 2021 - Destaco introduced the PGM40 Series Servo Positioner and is designed for small, medium, and relatively high-speed positioning applications in various industries such as transportation, consumer, packaging, molding, assembly processes, and more. It has the capability to provide sub-positioning on larger servo-positioning setups.
- December 2021 - Swisslog partnered with SKUtopia to provide a new automated micro-fulfillment center with a 24/7 click and collect option. SKUtopia enables profitable scalability for the eCommerce industry through software-enabled operations. The company's four-in-one software package includes inventory management, order management, shipping management, and warehouse management.
Europe Packaging Automation Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET INSIGHTS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.4 Assessment of the Impact of COVID-19 on the Market
5. MARKET DYNAMICS
5.1 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
5.2 Market Drivers
5.2.1 Increasing Pressure on Manufacturers to Cut Down Operating Costs
5.2.2 Reduces Machine Downtime and Product Waste
5.2.3 Emerging Markets are Emerging as Low Cost Labor and Increased Competition
5.3 Market Restraints
5.3.1 High initial investment
6. MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Businesses Type
6.1.1 B2B e-commerce retailers
6.1.2 B2C e-commerce retailers
6.1.3 Omni Channel Retailers
6.1.4 Wholesale Distributors
6.1.6 Personal Document Shippers
6.2 By End-User Vertical
6.3 By Product Type
6.3.3 Horizontal/Vertical Pillow
6.3.4 Case Packaging
7. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 JLS Automation
7.1.2 Mitsubishi Corporation
7.1.3 Rockwell Automation
7.1.5 Swisslog Holding AG
7.1.6 Emerson Industrial Automation
7.1.7 ULMA Packaging
7.1.8 ATS Automation Tooling Systems
7.1.10 Massman Automation Designs, LLC
7.1.11 Schneider Electric
7.1.13 Gerhard Schubert GmBH
8. INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
9. FUTURE OF THE MARKET
Europe Packaging Automation Market Research FAQs
What is the current Europe Packaging Automation Market size?
The Europe Packaging Automation Market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.80% during the forecast period (2024-2029)
Who are the key players in Europe Packaging Automation Market?
JLS Automation, Mitsubishi Corporation, Rockwell Automation, DESTACO and Swisslog Holding AG are the major companies operating in the Europe Packaging Automation Market.
What years does this Europe Packaging Automation Market cover?
The report covers the Europe Packaging Automation Market historical market size for years: 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023. The report also forecasts the Europe Packaging Automation Market size for years: 2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 2028 and 2029.
Europe Packaging Automation Industry Report
Statistics for the 2024 Europe Packaging Automation market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Packaging Automation analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2029 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.