Europe Collagen Market Size
|Study Period||2018 - 2028|
|Base Year For Estimation||2022|
|Forecast Data Period||2023 - 2028|
|Historical Data Period||2018 - 2021|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
Europe Collagen Market Analysis
The Europe collagen market size is expected to grow from USD 259.16 million in 2023 to USD 351.36 million by 2028, at a CAGR of 6.28% during the forecast period.
- The increasing demand for collagen as a key ingredient in various applications, such as dietary supplements and food additives (collagen is used in a wide spectrum of applications as a food additive, right from storage stability of confectionery and dairy products to the enhancement process and organoleptic properties of packaged food products), beverages, and meat products, has been driving the collagen market in Europe.
- Additionally, the growing importance of a healthy lifestyle has attracted many companies to enter into the production of proteins and amino acid supplements, which is driving the demand for collagen and its derivatives. Companies such as Gelita AG are manufacturing collagen that is sourced from both bovine and fish, which are proven to significantly improve bone and skin health. Therefore, collagen finds increased application in skin care as well as nutricosmetics products in the scenario of the growing cosmetics industry of Europe. Collagen Lift Paris and Coveline Paris are the most consumed collagen drinks in the country, which are clinically proven to reduce wrinkles by up to 50% while improving skin elasticity and hydration.
- Besides, collagen is one of the leading natural skincare ingredients targeting skin health and signs of aging. It can support the health of deep skin layers while providing visible beauty benefits from within. Also, collagen can improve the overall health of hair and skin. Increasing collagen levels can help skin look radiant and healthy, even reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles associated with aging or environmental effects.
- Also, with sustainability gaining traction in a world of growing demand for products, manufacturers of collagen, including gelatin and collagen peptides, are done in an environment-friendly manner. Manufacturers have started producing ingredients according to strict guidelines that minimize the environmental impact, thereby striving to invest and improve their green credentials. Thus, the increase in the number of players adopting and implementing various strategies to establish themselves and gain the trust of companies is, in turn, enabling rapid growth of the market.
- The majority of consumers transitioning to plant-based diets renounce animal products for ethical reasons. However, health and fitness benefits are the primary factors for some. With the increasing number of consumers against the consumption of animal-sourced food, vegan protein is gaining higher tracking of consumers in the country, which ultimately restricts the growth potential of animal-sourced protein and amino acids derivatives, such as collagen, in human nutrition. The wide range of applications of collagen ingredients and awareness about the benefits of using collagen products are expected to drive the market in the upcoming years.
Europe Collagen Market Trends
Increased Application of Collagen in End-User Industry
- Collagen beauty supplements are believed to enhance skin strength and elasticity, thus providing an anti-wrinkle effect to the skin. Hydrolyzed collagen used in skincare products enhances the appearance of dry or damaged skin by reducing flaking and restoring suppleness. Thus, they find wide application in skin care in the fast-growing European cosmetics industry. Additionally, the increasing usage of skincare and cosmetic products in the region is further fueling the market's application capabilities in the beauty and personal care industry.
- According to Cosmetica Italia, Germany consumed the largest amount of cosmetics in 2021, valued at approximately USD 13.6 billion. This was followed by France and Italy, at approximately USD 11.96 billion and USD 10.6 billion, respectively. Collagen is widely used in face masks, creams, serums, and many other beauty products. The growing popularity of collagen-based beauty drinks and collagen peptide-based beverages like Sanotact and BeautyHacker beauty collagen drinks in Germany contributes to this growth.
- Furthermore, market players are conducting in-depth research into the extensive applications of collagen to create innovative product formulations. Their focus extends beyond skincare, as they are actively exploring its potential in various other products. In Europe, collagen is experiencing growing usage in the creation of gummy supplements related to beauty and sports. This has led to the development of a range of gummies that incorporate collagen-based ingredients, making claims of enhancing both skin health and overall well-being.
- For instance, in May 2023, Sirio Europe (SIRIO), a global nutraceutical contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO), announced the launch of its two new collagen-based gummy products under its sports nutrition and beauty categories at Vitafoods Europe. Therefore, companies are launching innovative products to address the growing consumer needs. Such developments are further expected to boost and support the market's growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
United Kingdom and Spain are Witnessing Increasing Demand for Collagen Infused Products
- Collagen products in the United Kingdom and Spain have been witnessing huge demand over the years. According to the Spanish National Statistics Office, the number of people aged over 65 years has been witnessing a rise in the past few years. According to World Bank data, approximately 19.9% were over 65 in 2021, compared to 19.07% in 2017. Owing to the higher aging population in the country, there is an increasing demand for health supplements for several issues, such as muscle pain and arthritis.
- Additionally, manufacturers use collagen powder to fortify functional drinks, which are among the most popular drinks in Spain. The demand for beverages made from collagen increased as a result of the high concentrations of hydroxyproline, arginine, glycine, and proline contained in collagen, all of which are associated with boosting energy. Hence, consumption of energy drinks infused with collagen is on the rise. According to the British Soft Drinks Association, in 2021, a combined 906 million liters of sports and energy drinks were consumed in the United Kingdom.
- Moreover, the countries have also witnessed an increasing demand for cosmetic surgery, which, on the other hand, has led to an advancement in technology inputs along with Co2 laser treatments that create heating on the skin, thereby stimulating the collagen content of the skin. The marine-based collagen segment of the market is highly competitive and characterized by the presence of a large number of international and regional players in Spain, owing to increased competition between manufacturers based on technology differentiation, brand name, quality of service, price differentiation, and technical expertise.
- For instance, in January 2021, Rousselot, a Darling Ingredients brand producing collagen-based solutions, launched an MSC-certified marine collagen peptide, Peptan, at the virtual Beauty & Skincare Formulation Conference 2021. This ingredient is sourced from 100% wild-caught marine white fish, certified by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), and it is majorly used in premium nutricosmetics and dietary supplements. The ingredient is produced in Rousselot's facilities in France and is available worldwide. The major driving factors behind the launch are the rising new product developments with collagen sourced from wild-caught ocean fish and the rising demand for fish collagen beauty and dietary supplement products.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
Europe Collagen Industry Overview
Some of the most active companies in the European collagen market include Gelita AG, Nippi, Incorporated, Tessenderlo Group, Italgel S.r.l., and Darling Ingredients. The market is competitive with the presence of various regional and global players. Key European collagen market players are investing in R&D and entering into mergers and acquisitions to enhance their product portfolios. Some of the companies are also focusing on research for product innovations to launch different formulations of collagen with added benefits. Darling Ingredients has extensively focused on product innovations to establish a strong consumer base in the market. Further, the companies have been introducing new and innovative products with the inclusion of naturally derived ingredients to make their product unique from the existing products. Owing to the rapidly developing nature of the market, new product innovation has become the most commonly used strategy among all, as it helps in understanding the changing needs of the consumers in the market.
Europe Collagen Market Leaders
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Europe Collagen Market News
- May 2022: Bregal Unternehmerkapital (BU), a Germany-based company, acquired a majority stake in Italgel S.r.l., a leading producer of gelatin and collagen, from Italgelatine S.p.A. This transaction marked BU's second deal in Italy and was part of their strategy to bolster Italgel's global presence. The aim was to reinforce Italgel's leadership in the food, pharmaceutical, and nutraceutical sectors through an expansion plan that included potential add-ons.
- February 2022: Rousselot, the health brand of Darling Ingredients, expanded its production of porcine collagen peptides derived from pork. The increasing demand for collagen-based supplements drove this expansion. Rousselot announced that its 75,000m2 production facility in Belgium was now producing Peptan P and its hydrolyzed collagen brand, ProTake.
- January 2021: Rousselot, a brand under Darling Ingredients, launched MSC-Certified Marine Collagen Peptides. This innovative ingredient was sourced exclusively from 100% wild-caught marine white fish and received certification from the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC). This solution was positioned as a valuable offering for beauty and nutrition brands looking to distinguish themselves and broaden their product portfolios with sustainably sourced, premium nutricosmetics and dietary supplements.
Europe Collagen Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.1.1 Increased Application of Collagen in End-User Industry
4.1.2 Implementation of Business Strategies by Market Players
4.2 Market Restraints
4.2.1 Growing Inclination Toward Clean Label Products
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1.1 Animal-based Collagen
5.1.2 Marine-based Collagen
5.2.1 Dietary Supplements
5.2.2 Meat Processing
5.2.3 Food and Beverages
5.2.4 Cosmetics and Personal care
5.2.5 Other Applications
22.214.171.124 Medical Care
126.96.36.199 Biomaterial Research
5.3.4 United Kingdom
5.3.7 Rest of Europe
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.2 Market Share Analysis
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Tessenderlo Group
6.3.2 Darling Ingredients Inc.
6.3.3 Gelita AG
6.3.4 Koninklijke DSM N.V.
6.3.5 Rosen's Diversified Inc. (Collagen Solutions Plc.)
6.3.6 Lapi Gelatin S.p.A
6.3.7 Italgel S.r.l.
6.3.9 Nippi, Incorporated.
6.3.10 Haarmann & Reimer (Symrise)
- *List Not Exhaustive
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
Europe Collagen Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The Europe Collagen Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of Europe Collagen Market?
The Europe Collagen Market is growing at a CAGR of 6.28% over the next 5 years.
Who are the key players in Europe Collagen Market?
Gelita AG, Tessenderlo Group, Darling Ingredients, Italgel S.r.l., Nippi, Incorporated. are the major companies operating in Europe Collagen Market.
Europe Collagen Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 Europe Collagen market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. Europe Collagen analysis includes a market forecast outlook to for 2023 to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.