China Automotive Seats Market Size
|Study Period:||2018 - 2028|
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and it's growth?
China Automotive Seats Market Analysis
The China Automotive Seat Market was valued at USD 3392.12 million in 2021 and is expected to reach USD 4370.09 million in 2027 registering a CAGR of around 4% during the forecast period.
The COVID-19 pandemic had a negative impact on the market during the first half of 2020 as a shutdown of manufacturing facilities and lockdowns resulted in a decline in vehicle production across the country. However, by end of 2020, vehicle sales increased creating a positive outlook for the vehicle manufacturers and seat manufacturers. For instance, In December 2020, a report released by the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers (CAAM) stated that
Overall vehicle production in December 2020 totaled 2.84 million units, reflecting a 5.7% year-on-year increase, while sales totaled 2.831 million units, reflecting a 6.4% year-on-year increase. However, 2020 year total production for January through December totaled 25.2 million units with a 2.0% decline compared to the same period in the previous year, and sales were 25.311 million units, reflecting a 1.9% y/y decline.
Over the medium term, growing consumer inclination toward safety and comfort coupled with recovering sales and a positive outlook for the automotive industry especially premium and luxury cars expected to drive demand for the market. In addition, increased adoption of electric vehicles is also likely to contribute to the growth of the market.
Moreover, the shift in focus of automotive manufacturers to reduce the overall vehicle weight with the use of advanced fabric material for seats is anticipated to offer new opportunities for players operating in the market. The majority of luxurious vehicles are generally equipped with leather seats, which provide premium quality seats and look to the vehicle. For example, According to data from the China Automobile Dealers Association, China's luxury vehicle sales in the first 11 months of the year 2021 exceeded 2 million units with a year-on-year increase of over 5%. This also marked the third consecutive year for luxury brands to register growth in the wake of downward pressure in China's overall automotive market.
Further, advancements in seat technology like Smart Seats and simultaneous innovations in seats to suit connected cars and autonomous cars are anticipated to offer new opportunities for players operating in the market. Apart from this, the emerging trend of autonomous vehicles is encouraging manufacturers to design intelligent seating systems with superior comfort and ergonomics and light and sustainable materials.
China Automotive Seats Industry Segmentation
In general, the automotive seat is an important part of a vehicle that intends to provide comfort to the person who is driving. The standard car seat is designed to support the thighs, the buttocks, lower and upper back, and head support. The front driver and passenger seats of most vehicles have three main parts: the seat back (squab), the seat base (cushion), and the headrest.
The China automotive seat market covers the latest trends in the seating industry, demand for these advancements in seats, new product developments, and the market share of major vehicle manufacturers in the country. The Scope of the China automotive seat market covers segmentation based on Material Type. Technology type, and Vehicle type. By Material Type, the market is segmented into Leather, Fabric, and Others.
By Technology type, the market is segmented into Standard Seats, Powered Seats, and Ventilated Seats. By Vehicle type, the market is segmented into Passenger Cars and Commercial Vehicles. For each segment, market sizing and forecast have been done on basis of value (USD million).
|By Vehicle Type|
China Automotive Seats Market Trends
This section covers the major market trends shaping the China Automotive Seats Market according to our research experts:
Growing Demand for Ventilated Seats to Enhance Market Growth During Forecast Period
The Ventilated segment of the market studied is expected to poise notable growth during the forecast period. Rising vehicle production and demand for comfort and luxury features in vehicle interiors are expected to act as major driving factors for the automotive seat market in China. Further, the future of the automotive ventilated seat market in China looks promising with opportunities in the mid-size car, large car, SUVs, and crossover segments. For example, In September 2021, In order to improve its penetration in the Chinese market, Grammer opened a new automotive production site in Shenyang.
Moreover, in China, cars of the foreign OEMs had the seat ventilation feature whereas the domestic OEMs like Wuling, Changan, Baojun, and Geely had included this feature only for their high-end models. Manufacturers are installing every possible technology that can increase the vehicle's comfort standards. Until now, ventilated seats are majorly found in premium vehicles but the manufacturers are looking forward to offering this technology in mid-range and economy cars also. Besides these, key players operating in the market are entering into colloborations with car manufacturers, designing strategies to tackle demand from electric and autonomous vehicles, etc.
- In July 2022, Chinese electric vehicle maker BYD announced the details of its new vehicle model Seal. This model features seat ventilation/heating and other features. The manufacturer revealed that the number of pre-orders exceeded 60,000 (since May 20), which is a substantial number.
- In April 2021, Grammer AG and FAW Group have signed a joint venture in order to produce high-quality seats for commercial vehicles in China. The company will produce its high-end driver seat series as part of the new joint venture as well. In doing so, Grammer is planning to establish additional capacity locally in addition to existing production sites and component plants in china.
Apart from these, factors such as varying high temperatures and demand for comfortable expected to act as market growth catalysts in coming years. Therefore, such developments wrt ventilated seats indicate a significant increase in market share of the market during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
Leather Expected to be Dominate Material Segment of the Market
The leather segment of the market studied is likely to witness decent growth during the forecast period. Leather is majorly used in the premium segment of cars, as leather is seen as a luxury in cars. Though it is costly and requires high maintenance, most end users prefer this material to meet their upholstery requirements as it offers a premium look and gives certain utilitarian benefits over ordinary materials used in car interiors.
The growing sales of premium cars will be an opportunity for the genuine leather segment, as customers are demanding tailor-made solutions, and this trend has picked up the pace by introducing combined modules, to compose the car seats in luxury cars. For instance, China's luxury car market has maintained strong growth in recent years. According to data from China Passenger Car Association, in 2021, the cumulative sales of luxury brand cars, including Tesla, stood at 2.65 million units, a year-on-year increase of 5 percent.
Some of the major players having a strong presence in the market include Faurecia, Yanfeng Adient Seating, Lear Corporation, Toyota Boshoku, TS TECH, and Others. These players are designing certain growth strategies like partnerships, collaborations, etc. to capture the growing market share in the country. For instance,
- In August 2022, Seiren announced that it will increase production capacity for its QUOLE automotive synthetic leather material for seats, which is growing in demand. The company plans to install additional production lines at its plants in China to increase its global production capacity of QUOLE by about 20%. The QUOLE material, which is lightweight and highly design-oriented, is being increasingly adopted as a seat material that can replace genuine leather.
- In May 2021, Faurecia announced that it has provided entire luxurious seating offer for the Li Xiang One from the fully adjustable frame to the Nappa leather covering. The company has focused on safety and comfort means an 8-way adjustable seat, 4-way lumbar support, and an in-seat heating and ventilation system. It also worked on creating a premium aesthetic in the Li Xiang One cockpit.
The above-mentioned factors are expected to contribute significantly for overall development of ventilated segment of automotive seat market in China.
China Automotive Seats Industry Overview
The China Automotive seat market is moderately consolidated and some of the major players in the market are Yanfeng Adient Seating Co., Ltd., Lear Corporation, Faurecia SE, Magna International Inc, and others. For being ahead in the competition the companies are making new joint ventures and expanding their presence in the country. For instance,
- In October 2021, Faurecia, one of the world’s leading automotive technology companies, announced that following approval from the appropriate regulatory bodies it has completed the acquisition from DAS Corporation of 50% of their joint venture with BAIC, Beijing BAI DAS Automotive System Co., Ltd. The joint venture is the main seating supplier for BAIC Hyundai and has strong development opportunities with other BAIC-owned brands and partners.
- In March 2021, Adient, a global leader in automotive seating, announced that as part of its strategic transformation in China, it has entered into definitive agreements with joint venture partner Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems Ltd. (YF) to end its Yanfeng Adient Seating Co., Ltd. (YFAS) joint venture in China. Under the agreements, Adient will sell its 49.99% interest in YFAS to YF and its minority interest in certain other joint ventures and will receive USD1.5 billion in cash and will acquire YFAS's 50% equity interest in Chongqing Yanfeng Adient Automotive Components Co., Ltd. and YFAS's 100% equity interest in Yanfeng Adient (Langfang) Seating Co., Ltd.
China Automotive Seats Market Leaders
Yanfeng Adient Seating Co. Ltd
Magna International Inc.
*Disclaimer: Major Players sorted in no particular order
China Automotive Seats Market News
- In June 2022, Kongsberg Automotive announced that its Powertrain and Chassis (P&C) business segment has secured a contract worth EUR 42.5 million in estimated lifetime revenue and average annual revenue of EUR 6.1 million. The delivery under this contract begins in June 2022 with development and the start of production slated for 2024. The unit was awarded this seven-year contract for rear seat foldable head restraint mechanisms by a European auto manufacturer that produces passenger cars globally.
- In June 2022, Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems Co., Ltd. (Yanfeng), a subsidiary of HUAYU Automotive Systems Company Limited, will build a smart cockpit base in the Lin-gang Special Area, Minhang Development Zone, Shanghai. The facility will become Yanfeng’s largest R&D and export base for its intelligent cockpits, automotive trims, and seating components.
- In June 2022, shanghai Yanpu Metal Products) announced that its wholly-owned subsidiary, Chongqing Yanpu Auto Parts Co., Ltd., became a designated supplier of Lear Dongfeng Automotive Seating Co., Ltd. Chongqing Branch . Chongqing Yanpu Auto Parts will supply complete automotive seat frame assemblies needed by Lear Dongfeng Automotive Seating for its seat products, which will be used in a new NEV model of Chongqing Jinkang New Energy Automobile Co., Ltd.
- In April 2022, Faurecia announced that after its merger with Hella, the Chinese name of the new group FORVIA will be "Foruiya”. The name is the Chinese transliteration of FORVIA. It also represents the inheritance and continuation of Faurecia’s brand and culture, indicating that the new group will reflect core elements of Faurecia and Hella brands. In the future, FORVIA will continue to operate through six business divisions (including interiors, seating, electronics, clean mobility, lighting, and lifecycle solutions) and 24 product lines.
China Automotive Seats Market Report - Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Drivers
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Material
5.1.3 Other Materials
5.2 By Technology
5.2.1 Standard Seats
5.2.2 Powered Seats
5.2.3 Ventilated Seats
5.3 By Vehicle Type
5.3.1 Passenger Cars
5.3.2 Commercial Vehicles
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Vendor Market Share**
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Adient PLC
6.2.2 Lear Corporation
6.2.3 Toyota Boshoku Corporation
6.2.4 Jifeng Auto Parts Co. Ltd
6.2.5 Magna International Inc.
6.2.6 Faurecia SE
6.2.7 NHK Spring Co. Ltd
6.2.8 Grupo Antolin
6.2.9 TS Tech Co. Ltd
6.2.10 Xiamen Golden Dragon Auto Seat Co., Ltd
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
China Automotive Seats Market Research FAQs
What is the study period of this market?
The China Automotive Seats Market is studied from 2018 - 2028.
What is the growth rate of China Automotive Seats Market?
The China Automotive Seats Market is growing at a CAGR of 4% over the next 5 years.
What is China Automotive Seats Market size in 2018?
The China Automotive Seats Market is valued at 3392 Million USD in 2018.
What is China Automotive Seats Market size in 2028?
The China Automotive Seats Market is valued at 4370 Million USD in 2028.
Who are the key players in China Automotive Seats Market?
Lear Corporation, Yanfeng Adient Seating Co. Ltd, Faurecia SE, Magna International Inc., Toyota Boshoku are the major companies operating in China Automotive Seats Market.
China Automotive Seats Industry Report
Statistics for the 2023 China Automotive Seats market share, size and revenue growth rate, created by Mordor Intelligence™ Industry Reports. China Automotive Seats analysis includes a market forecast outlook to 2028 and historical overview. Get a sample of this industry analysis as a free report PDF download.