|Study Period:||2016 - 2026|
|Fastest Growing Market:||Asia Pacific|
|Largest Market:||North America|
Need a report that reflects how COVID-19 has impacted this market and its growth?
The beryllium market was valued at 395.49 metric ton in 2020, and the market is projected to register a CAGR of over 1.5% during the forecast period (2021-2026). Beryllium-containing alloys are only used in critical locations in products where they provide a design solution based upon reliability, miniaturization, improved energy management, and/or extending the service life.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, airplane manufacturers have experienced severe disruptions in production, owing to the slowing demand due to suspended international flights. Boeing and Airbus have not received even a single order since January 2020 in the first half and saw a decline of more than 10% contraction in their airplane production for the first time. These factors impacted the aerospace industry in 2020, and thus, the beryllium demand.
- In the short term, major factors such as increasing usage in medical equipment, owing to its superior properties, and its extensive usage in aerospace and military applications are likely to drive the market.
- Future demand for beryllium oxide in nuclear power generation is likely to act as an opportunity in the future.
- North America dominated the market across the world with the largest consumption from the countries, such as the United States and Canada.
Scope of the Report
Beryllium is a gray metal that is brittle at room temperatures having chemical properties similar to aluminum. The market is segmented based on the product type, end-user industry, and geography. By product type, the market is segmented into alloys, metal, ceramics, and other product types. By end-user industry, the market is segmented into industrial components, automotive, healthcare, aerospace and defense, oil and gas and other energy, electronics and telecommunication, and other end-user industries. The report also covers the market size and forecasts for the beryllium market in 11 countries across major regions. For each segment, the market sizing and forecasts have been done on the basis of volume (ton).
|Other Product Types|
|Aerospace and Defense|
|Oil and Gas and Other Energy|
|Electronics and Telecommunication|
|Other End-user Industries|
Key Market Trends
Automotive Segment to Drive the Market Growth
- In the automotive electronics industry, beryllium is used as the connector material for battery and high-temperature applications. In addition, it is abundantly used in optical filters for night vision, speed control, sensors, and camera applications.
- Furthermore, the metal is used in the form of CuBe, a high-performance alloy, for the powertrain. Beryllium in the form of metal matrix composites is employed for chassis, suspension, and braking component applications.
- The lifesaving technology behind automotive airbags relies on beryllium alloys to work in a fraction of a second. Anti-lock brakes trust beryllium alloys to transmit electrical signals through terminal connections when seconds make a critical difference in preventing a collision.
- Many substitute materials are tested for the replacement of beryllium in automotive electronics, which include alloys- like CuZn Brasses, CuSn Bronzes, and CuNiSi alloys. The insufficient combination of strength/formability, electrical conductivity, stress relaxation resistance, failure to resist vibration, and corrosion resistance are hindering this replacement.
- The automotive industry is focused on innovation, and onboard technology is turning them into computers on wheels.
- The automotive industry has witnessed a slowdown for a couple of years. According to the International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), automotive production witnessed a 5.2% decline from 96,869,020 units in 2018 to 91,786,861 units in 2019. Also, the sales of automobiles declined in 2019 from 95.06 million units in 2018 to 91.29 million units in 2019.
- Furthermore, due to the COVID-19 impact, global automobile production declined by around 23% in the first nine months of 2020 compared to the same period in the previous year.
- Owing to the above-mentioned factors, the market is expected to witness a slow growth during the forecast period.
To understand key trends, Download Sample Report
China to Drive the Growth in the Asia-Pacific Region
- In Asia-Pacific, China is the largest economy in terms of GDP. China is one of the fastest-growing economies globally, and almost all end-user industries have been growing, owing to the rising population levels, living standards, and per capita income levels.
- The demand for beryllium was stable in the past few years. The aerospace and defense sector is the major consumer of beryllium in China. Further, under the plan, ‘Made in China 2025’, it is expected that China may supply over 10% of homemade commercial aircraft to the domestic market by 2025.
- China's current major military aircraft production bases include the aircraft manufacturing plants of Xi'an, Shaanxi, Chengdu, Shenyang, and Guizhou. Among the five major aircraft manufacturers in the country, Xifei and Shaanxi have the largest number of aircraft models, accounting for 40% of military aircraft.
- China is the second-largest market after the United States. However, the Chinese market is still lagging, with a larger difference, in terms of market share as compared to the United States. Presently, China’s beryllium ore supply is dependent on imports, with a major focus on the defense and science and technology fields, while the applications of beryllium-copper alloy are still far behind those in the United States and Japan.
- However, in the long run, beryllium, as a metal with excellent performance, may penetrate further, from the existing aerospace and military fields to electronics and other emerging industries, under the premise of meeting resource guarantees.
- The country is one of the major solar panel manufacturers across the world, which is also the famous exporter of low-cost photovoltaic cells to numerous countries. China’s total solar capacity accounts for more than 34% of the global total solar capacity.
- Thus, all these factors are likely to increase the demand for beryllium in the region during the forecast period.
To understand geography trends, Download Sample Report
The market for beryllium is highly consolidated in nature, with the top three players accounting for around 90% of the share in the global market. This scenario additionally reports a highly monopolistic market. The major companies include Materion Corporation, The atomic company "Kazatomprom" (Ulba Metallurgical Plant JSC), Hunan Shuikoushan Nonferrous Metals Group Co Ltd (SKS), NGK Metals Corporation, and IBC Advanced Alloys, among others.
- In May 2020, Kairos Power entered a strategic collaboration with Materion Corporation to develop a reliable and cost-effective supply of coolant for its fluoride salt-cooled and high-temperature reactor (KP-FHR). Materion will supply beryllium fluoride, technical consultation, key interfaces, and support services.
- In April 2020, IBC Advanced Alloys Corp. announced that it is continuing to manufacture its strategic alloy products because of the company’s essential role as a part of the US Defense Industrial Base.
- In August 2019, IBC Advanced Alloys Corp. announced that it received new orders of high-performance beryllium-aluminum alloy parts made from IBC’s proprietary Beralcast material from a leading global manufacturer of semiconductor and electronics assembly equipment.
Table of Contents
1.1 Study Assumptions
1.2 Scope of the Study
2. RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4. MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1.1 Extensive Usage of Beryllium Alloys in Aerospace and Military Applicationss
4.1.2 Increasing Usage in Medical Equipment Owing to its Superior Properties
4.2.1 Competition from Potential Alternatives
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to the COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Industry Attractiveness – Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Price Analysis
5. MARKET SEGMENTATION (Market Size in Volume)
5.1 Product Type
5.1.4 Other Product Types
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Industrial Components
5.2.4 Aerospace and Defense
5.2.5 Oil and Gas and Other Energy
5.2.6 Electronics and Telecommunication
5.2.7 Other End-user Industries
5.3.1 Production Analysis
188.8.131.52 United States
184.108.40.206 Other Countries
5.3.2 Consumption Analysis
220.127.116.11.4 South Korea
18.104.22.168.5 Rest of Asia-Pacific
22.214.171.124 North America
126.96.36.199.1 United States
188.8.131.52.3 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206.2 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11.6 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124.1 South America
126.96.36.199.2 Middle-East and Africa
6. COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
*List Not Exhaustive
6.1 Mergers and Acquisitions, Joint Ventures, Collaborations, and Agreements
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 American Beryllia Inc.
6.4.2 American Elements
6.4.3 Belmont Metals
6.4.4 Hunan Shuikoushan Nonferrous Metals Group Co. Ltd (SKS)
6.4.5 IBC Advanced Alloys
6.4.6 Materion Corporation
6.4.7 NGK Metals Corporation
6.4.8 The Atomic Company "Kazatomprom"
7. MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
7.1 Future Demand for Beryllium Oxide in Nuclear Power Generation
7.2 Emerging Applications of Beryllium Mirrors
You can also purchase parts of this report. Do you want to check out a section wise price list?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the study period of this market?
The Beryllium Market market is studied from 2016 - 2026.
What is the growth rate of Beryllium Market?
The Beryllium Market is growing at a CAGR of >1.5% over the next 5 years.
Which region has highest growth rate in Beryllium Market?
Asia Pacific is growing at the highest CAGR over 2021- 2026.
Which region has largest share in Beryllium Market?
North America holds highest share in 2020.
Who are the key players in Beryllium Market?
Materion Corporation, IBC Advanced Alloys, NGK Metals Corporation, Hunan Shuikoushan Nonferrous Metals Group Co Ltd. (SKS), The atomic company "Kazatomprom" are the major companies operating in Beryllium Market.