Market Trends of Probiotic Dietary Supplement Industry
This section covers the major market trends shaping the Probiotic Dietary Supplement Market according to our research experts:
Rising Health Awareness Promoting demand
- Consumers are increasingly becoming aware of their health which is anticipated to propel the demand for digestive health supplements, especially probiotics. Many consumers are now accepting the role of digestive health in maintaining weight, energy levels, and overall physical health, which will likely boost the demand for probiotics over the years.
- The rising consumer awareness about the impact of nutrition on health and rising proclivity towards healthier diets has triggered the production and commercialization of food with certain health claims by manufacturers. The consumption of probiotics is rising in western markets, wherein consumers adopt a holistic approach toward healthy living.
- Probiotic supplements have been available for decades, with consumption being driven by strain-specific health benefits to the consumer. According to the International Scientific Association for Probiotics and Prebiotics, scientific study on probiotic strains reveals health benefits in reducing necrotizing enterocolitis in preterm infants, reducing the occurrence of atopic issues such as eczema in infants and colic symptoms in breastfed babies, reducing the risk or duration of upper respiratory tract infections or gut infections.
- A survey by the International Food Information Council in 2021 revealed that 51% of Americans consume probiotics to support gut health, 33% take them to support immune health, 38% take probiotics for general health and wellness, while 13% revealed that they consume probiotics to support and emotional health.
- Therefore, the augmented interest of consumers in maintaining good digestive health offers a wonderful opportunity for the market players to develop innovative products for digestive health conditions. Furthermore, the research development and the launch of innovative products providing a broader range of health benefits are bound to support market growth.
Europe Holds the Major Share in Probiotic Dietary Supplements
Europe dominated the global market for probiotic dietary supplements, with around one-third of the market share. The importance of gut health and its connection with mental health, weight loss, and healthy skin fosters the growth of probiotics products in the United Kingdom. Consumers are opting for digestive supplements with strong bacterial strains and high CFU (Colony Forming Units) since they claim to increase the chances for good bacteria to colonize the gut. This is expected to boost the growth of the digestive supplements market during the forecast period. Healthcare professionals across the region are recommending these digestive supplements that improve the cases of heartburn or indigestion among consumers in the country. As per the data provided by the health insurance company of the United Kingdom in 2021, Bupa, around four in every ten people in the United Kingdom, gets indigestion every year. It can affect people differently, but indigestion symptoms often include pain or a burning feeling just under the ribs or higher up in the chest. Therefore, this increased the point-of-sale for these supplements via pharmacies and drugstores.
The increasing health awareness among the population in Russia is fueling the demand for probiotic ingredients based on final products, as they can overcome nutritional shortcomings and improve gut health. This is expected to drive Russia's probiotic products market during the forecast period. In September 2021, The Arnica company launched a modern production of probiotics at the NadezhdinskayaTOR. The production of one-of-a-kind products is aimed at consumers both in Russia and abroad. According to the data published by Associazione Nazionale Produttori e Distributori Prodotti Salutistici, Food supplements related to digestive and intestinal tract wellness witnessed a value of EUR 413 million; probiotics recorded a sales value of EUR 387 million in 2020. For instance, in 2021, the probiotics company Probi and over-the-counter health and wellness player Perrigo signed a semi-exclusive agreement to bring premium probiotic digestive and immune health concepts to Italy.